Therapy does not work - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 02:05 PM
SAS Member

I'm on felony probation and the mental health care sucks. Can't wait to get off in June. I need better meds and maybe a (definitely better) therapist i can talk to. Don't think I have much faith in them anymore. Criminal justice can be so unfair, but that's another topic

Late Bloomer or Dead Man, idk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 03:45 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
I recently came to this conclusion.

For myself, I realised recently just how ****ed up my childhood was, and why I am the way I am, and have the struggles I have. I realised it required me becoming *more* resilient than normal, being stronger than normal, because of the barriers that my (perfectly reasonable) childhood adaptations to the environment created, that now make me dysfunctional.

None of that was my fault. But it is my responsibility to take on that objective to become better than normal, because who else is going to do it for me? So that is what I have to do.

It would just be easier if "mental illness" wasn't framed by society as a fault within the individual. Its not. It never is, it cant be (it can only be a combination of genes, childhood environment and general social conditions, there isn't anything else at all!). Rather than people with mental health issues being stigmatised and thought of as less than, it should be seen in the same way as someone who gets their legs blown off in a war. And then has to somehow drag themselves around everywhere.

Someone who recovers from significant mental illness, enough to function on some halfway normal level is a ****ing hero, tbh, that's how hard it is.
Yeah, I agree with all this.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 AM
SAS Member

Exposure therapy makes me less anxious but itís only temporary. The next day I will just revert back to normal. Although I rarely have the willpower to do any proper exposure therapy. Literally only like 2-3 times per year. I wonder if I did it every day for 100 days in a row the effect would be more permanent? But then this is kind of a paradox because if I have the willpower to do it 100 days in a row then I donít even need the effect in the first place...
Posted via Mobile Device

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

Therapy has never worked for me. Medication worked for a bit but its too costly and other side effects outweighed the pros. Only way I treat it now is to tackle it head on. I accept that my anxiety and or anxieties will never go away. I focus more on learning how to function and control it. Basically learn how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

I have been seeing a psychiatrist for 4 yrs who has only given me drugs and no therapy which helped to an extent initially. But my gut says that my problems are so attached to my persona that no therapy could eliminate them. Personally I don't think sad is curable.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

oh.. this question is very relevant in the modern world
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 06:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cold
I really struggle in therapy, my SA gets in the way too much, I never seem to get past the "customer service" stage of extreme people pleasing and lying by omission/hiding my true feelings. As a result I never really seem to get anything out of it, as you get what you put in basically... And I hide myself too much for it to be effective and it always end up with me feeling misunderstood/misinterpreted. It's really frustrating but I'm trying to work on it

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:16 PM
SAS Member

I agree completely, I've been seeing therapist since I've been 13 the only thing they've done is take a bunch of money from me and put my mother into further debt. There is no cure, we're all just here to suffer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page