The hot wind is returning. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The hot wind is returning.

It's been so nice the last two days. It has felt like fall. My anxiety is real low. But that is going to change in a drastic way starting Thursday. The hot wind from the south is returning. I am going to be going insane. Hot weather raises my anxiety into the roof. Members from the southren states will laugh at this forecast. 90 is the Normal high in the deep south. Up here the following forecast is a record breaker. I miss winter. I rather be out riding my snowmobile.

Thursday...Very warm. Partly cloudy. Highs around 77 at The shore to 85 to 90 inland. Lows around 66.

Thursday Night...Very warm. Partly cloudy. Highs around 77 at The shore to 85 to 90 inland. Lows around 66.

Friday...Very warm. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Highs around 81 at The shore to 86 to 91 inland.

Friday Night...Very warm. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 66. Highs around 80 at The shore to 89 to 94 inland.

Saturday...Very warm. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 66. Highs around 80 at The shore to 89 to 94 inland.

Saturday Night...Warm. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows around 69.

Sunday...Hot. Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 84 at The shore to 90 to 95 inland. Lows around 64.

Sunday Night...Hot. Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 84 at The shore to 90 to 95 inland. Lows around 64.

Monday...Very warm. Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 79 at The shore to 85 to 90 inland.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

It is funny that you describe 77F as "very warm"

Why does your anxiety go up when it gets warm? I imagine you work in an air conditioned office, and I thought you just bought a window unit.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneIsALonelyNumber

Why does your anxiety go up when it gets warm? I imagine you work in an air conditioned office, and I thought you just bought a window unit.
77 is right along Lake Superior. Lake Superior is really cold. The water temp is only in the mid 40's. But I live 8 miles inland. So it will be up in the lower to mid 90's, unless we get lucky and get a lake breeze this far inland. I know that a lot of people with anxiety disorders get more anxious in hot weather. People with anxiety disorders are really intune to body changes. When it is warm, you sweat. But I also sweat when I have a panic attack. My brain can't tell the difference. It is like I am having a constant anxiety attack. Even if I work in ac and have a unit at home. I still have to go out in it. I been like this since I had my first panic attack when I was a senior in highschool. Also, it is worse if I have to rush around in hot weather. If it was my choice I would stay in the bedroom with the air on, but I have to go to work, go to the store, etc.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 PM
SAS Member

I love hot weather. Cold weather means I am stuck indoors and can't escape from my home situation on my bike.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNice
I love hot weather. Cold weather means I am stuck indoors and can't escape from my home situation on my bike.
I am lucky I live alone and don't have to put up with a home situation. It can be a raging snowstorm outside and I will be out in it. I just love it. I will even jump on my snowmobile and go for a ride. I just dread summer. The heat and humidity just raises my anxiety levels. Other people have the same problem. I found a forum with others saying the same things. One lady says that it brings on a panic attack, so she just lives inside in the ac.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
SAS Member

We are all different. My wet dream is to live in the tropics. I like heat. I don't even have an air conditioner for this summer, at least not yet. I actually have one I can put in, but haven't bothered. When it's 80-something outside, I'm sure it's 90-something in here. It's hot, but I can live with it.

Winter means I can't go outside, or anywhere. I have no drivers license, so I can't drive anywhere. Summer means I can bike 25 miles a day. Winter means I can't do anything at all unless I walk in the cold to take a train to hang out with my friends, which is never that much fun in the first place. I'm depressed now, but at least I can escape on my bike and go wherever I want. Come cold weather, I will be researching ways for suicide on the internet, and seriously considering it at this point in my life.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneIsALonelyNumber
Hehe...I used to think that, too, until I moved from Phoenix to Seattle. It amazed me how quickly I became acclimated to the weather. 80 used to be cool in Phoenix, but now, in Seattle, it's scorching.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:26 PM

My mom was from the UP and it's beautiful, but I can understand how the heat can make a person depressed. I moved to the desert 5 years ago and I can't stand summer. It's hard to go outside and do anything, I miss being able to go outside whenever I want and riding my bike or just doing anything. Here it's almost impossible to go out until it's dark. Summers are depressing, I feel like I live in hell, I would do anything to jump into Lake Superior right now!
Hope you make it through it, looking forward to those long snowy Michigan winters should help.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Poorly Educated

I don't mind the 80's but anything hotter like 90's or higher than that is too much. We never get dry heat here, its always extremely humid whenever it gets hot which makes it feel about ten times hotter than it actually is. It doesn't cause me anxiety but its so exhausting because the building where I work isn't air conditioned. I'm so tired and exhausted at the end of the day after working in that heat I can hardly stand up. This week is supposed to get hot. Tomorrow will still be in the 70's but they are talking triple digits by this weekend
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
SAS Member

bah, heat. I hate it too! I didn't realize it before, but it could be because it causes me anxiety. Because physically it's just very uncomfortable for me. Also, there are more people hanging around outside when it's hot, which puts me in a bad mood. I also don't like the sunshine that accompanies the heat, because I feel very exposed, hehe. Geez I must sound like a total grinch.

Oh, but I think i could understand why some people like hot weather. They shouldn't feel freakish Hot weather can be enjoyable to me so long as I don't have to physically exert myself. And even though it's much hotter and much more humid in NY, I still feel nostalgia for their hot weather here in California, because I used to live in NY as a kid. I know, everyone prefers California weather
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
We will have at least four days with highs in the lower 90s (which means it'll feel like 95-100) starting Friday. Until then, humid with some storms.
After a wet spring, we are really starting to dry out now (only .20" of rain so far in July).

I like to be outside getting a tan, but it's hard to enjoy it if there is nowhere to get wet. If it is windy and hot, then that is okay. No wind = unhappy and overheating millenniumman .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM

I don't like humidity at all...I really hate life when its humid and now we are getting into the humidity of the summer so I'm not gonna like it.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 AM
untitled document

Language: None

Re: The hot wind is returning.

95 is the average July temperature around here. It's nice, provides a good excuse to stay indoors most of the day without feeling like I'm hiding. Then at night it's comfortable.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:59 PM
SAS Member

I rode probably 15-18 miles today on my bike in 82 degree weather with 80-something percent humidity and I like it. There was a decent breeze by the ocean. Even if there wasn't a breeze I still like it. I'm trying hard to sell my stuff I don't need and I guess I'm considering getting out of NJ again come September... maybe to Hawaii. I don't ever want to be a part of cold weather again. I hate it so much. I love being outdoors in nature surrounded by actively growing/blooming plants.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
SAS Veteran

I guess for someone up north, something like 77-80 is very warm or hot. I have never had a problem with the heat raising my anxiety nor did I hear about this happening until a few months ago. 90 is very warm 100 is very hot here and soon we will be getting up into triple digits and I think we already have some. Just walking 2 or 3 blocks to the house was very hot the other day. It must have been 97 or so.

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Sorry to hear that copper. I get depressed in heat too. And sun. I live in a high desert, we get south winds of ~30-40 mph, temps in the 90s or 100s, 110s if we are unlucky. Absolutely *NO* cloud cover for 3/4 of the year. I go nuts to see the sun still up at 9:00 p.m. and I feel trapped indoors by the heat. I want to punch people who say, "yes, but it's a dry heat". And sticking your head in an oven is dry heat, now how comfortable is it? We can, and do, go for months with *zero* precipitation.

Now, on top of that, we have haze from the fires in so. california. I'm being encased in blown glass.

I'm moving to NW Washington this fall. My god, cool and cloudy 9 months of the year, and moderate temps the rest. I'm in heaven.

I gave in, had to take a Valium, my anxiety has been through the roof lately. BTW statistically speaking most people are admitted to psych hospitals during the summer than any other time. Crime goes up. Oh I just hate life right now. I love getting in the car only to singe the top layer of skin on the steering wheel, Jesus H. Crud.

No really. Some of us don't like heat and don't like sunshine. I am not a Joshua tree, thankyouverymuch. This kind of weather kills life in the desert, unless you are a very hardy prickly pear. I am not. The pale blue sky reminds me of death. I have gone hiking in desert foothills, the only thing I'm aware of is heat stroke and the sound of flies. Even lizards are smart enough to stay in the shade this time of year. Colors become faded and pale in intense light. Sunburn and skin cancer aren't much fun, neither is having to wear ugly clothing, or squinting. I draw up the blinds and stay in bed, toss and turn, I keep drinking ice water to stay hydrated. It's like God's high-maintenance season.

Oh I'm going on vacation to the coast just south of Vancouver, BC. The forecast is still sunny but highs in the low 70s, now that I can handle. If we are lucky we will get clouds or fog maybe.

We once lived in So. Arizona (Tucson), it was a living hell. You just didn't function May-September. I hate it too, how the weatherman says, "Wow, great weather coming up, temps in the high 80s and sunny". Maybe he is hypothyroid or anemic or something. Blaaah. Screw it screw it screw it.

I do have a Dx of reverse seasonal affective disorder, it is more common the further south you go but can affect people at many latitudes.

My dad planted turf w/ desert-friendly grass. In the wind and heat it literally stiffend up like a board, was stricken with rigor mortis. The turf flattened and was tilted above the cracked dirt surface below, with a 5" gap between the two. WTF.

I could seriously rant about this all day in an open forum. Summertime is my enemy. I just don't like anything about this weather. I want Fall to get here fast. My ideal weather is 55 degrees F, 75 % humid, and overcast, maybe some spotty showers to boot.

Well, some people like it, which is fine, you can come and do some roofing jobs in Las Vegas in July or something. Enjoy! I'll be up in the mountains hiding in the shade of trees and the 30 degree temperature drop.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

You'd get tired of the rain, man. Talk about sitting inside. I'd probably get tired of the desert, too. Haze from California fires sounds crappy. I love the cacti, though... although we have prickly pear native to this state, haha. I think I like the central California weather the best. It gets a little hotter than here but probably no lower than 40 in the winter. We have nice summers here. People say it's too hot and humid. I love it and my plants love it. If you like tropical weather come to NJ in the summer. I just wish summers were longer. I hate any weather where I have to put on a coat and layers, ughh. I hate continuous rain, as in 5 days in a row, and even when it's not rainy there is just cloudiness. New Jersey has stormy, freezing, rainy, or grey skies half the year it seems. The summer is the best. I wish it was San Diego. Our sales tax is 7% now. We mine as well all just flock to the opposite coast.

I also don't drive a car, so you have to imagine my life. I am a fan of cruising on my bike to kill time. Can't do that for half the year.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
Well, to each his own, btw you might like the climate along the Gulf Coast? Corpus Christi and the like, they stay warm. They get summer thundershowers but are pretty sunny too I think. Yes, I can see how you would like inland California as well.

I actually go outside a lot more in the colder weather, I do a lot of walking. I like throwing on a hoodie and walking everywhere, it beats driving. The cold and rain, its just even better for me. I would rather walk a mile to and from the grocery store than drive. And I can hide in my hoodie. When i lived in Salt Lake, we'd get cloud cover for a solid 1-2 months in the winter, the jet stream pushes south and keeps it like that, plus the high pressure when the jet stream is gone traps fog in the valley up against the mountains. I loooved it, lol. Maybe I am a freak.

A bike though, at least in the winter, the wind chill could get nippy.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I want it to be winter so I can ride my sled.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm in Seattle... tomorrow will be only 70 degrees... tonight will be 55 degrees. Yes you heard me right....That's Seattle in the summer....

Sometimes during the night, you need a jacket in July or August!!!

It does get cloudy and rain for 9 months of the year.... Trust me, people's moods CHANGE during that time of the year... in the summer, people change and become more cheerful..... in the summer, Seattle's weather is just perfect.... occassional rain, 70s, neither hot or cold...

We do sometimes get a "heat wave"... In Seattle, 80s are considered to be a "heat wave".....

and also, Virtually EVERY condo and apartment in Seattle has no air conditioner? Why? We don't need it.....

It's a great city for those who like cool weather and rainy weather....

I agree with Caedmon, I wouldn't want to live in Las Vegas. I was there when it was HOT.... Forget it.. and also I used to live in N.C. for 13 years where summers regularly go to 90s/100s.... forget it...

SeattleGuy35

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page