Stop hating yourself - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Fine

Stop hating yourself

You are just making your suffering worst, there is nothing wrong with you, if there is show me, real evidence,not opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Permanently Banned

You should work as a therapist.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Blah
How?

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingMara View Post
How?
Well why not? There is nothing wrong with you.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
Why hate yourself, when you can hate other people instead?
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Pandora’s Birthright

What proof are you looking for?

In the past five years I've been diagnosed with social anxiety, depression, and anorexia. I also have reason to believe I've suffered from generalized anxiety disorder, at least three separate forms of OCD, orthorexia, BED possibly a form of EDNOS, and some other crazy stuff. Undeniably there is something "wrong with me".

I've been working on toning down the self hatred, but just when i think i've got it, my family tells me i'm not doing enough and i feel like crap all over again. there's always something ready to pull the rug out from under you. loving yourself in the face of failure is probably one of the hardest things people like us can do.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 PM
SAS Member

wouldificouldbuticantsoiwont

a
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I'm a loser. I won't love myself until I'm a winner. If I was a loser and loved myself then I would be a loser forever.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by impedido10 View Post
You are just making your suffering worst, there is nothing wrong with you, if there is show me, real evidence,not opinions
Very true.
We have to find that spot where we know we have anxiety, the need to push through it, and be patient with the results. Being kind to ourselves is the only way to go.

Kanye needz my mad wurdz of wizdom, yo!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Milk View Post
I'm a loser. I won't love myself until I'm a winner. If I was a loser and loved myself then I would be a loser forever.
No- you would be liking yourself for who you are now, knowing that you will be better in the future.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 AM
raising your spirits

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and Her Darkness View Post
What proof are you looking for?

In the past five years I've been diagnosed with social anxiety, depression, and anorexia. I also have reason to believe I've suffered from generalized anxiety disorder, at least three separate forms of OCD, orthorexia, BED possibly a form of EDNOS, and some other crazy stuff. Undeniably there is something "wrong with me".

I've been working on toning down the self hatred, but just when i think i've got it, my family tells me i'm not doing enough and i feel like crap all over again. there's always something ready to pull the rug out from under you. loving yourself in the face of failure is probably one of the hardest things people like us can do.
And yet it is possible. And perhaps necessary for overcoming certain kinds of mental disorders. I have more problems than you can shake a shakeweight at. By cultural standards I'm an epic failure; but it doesn't prevent me from loving myself.

Self-love is our natural state. But people learn to impose conditions on loving themselves (and others) because they've been taught that unconditional self-love is bad or wrong. The result is mental programming that runs like this: "I won't love myself unless X." X could be anything. Your parents loving you. Someone falling in love with you. Being the best at what you do. Being a certain weight. Etc.

We turn off self-love until we achieve whatever conditions we've imposed on ourselves have been fulfilled. But in fact there is nothing preventing anyone from feeling unconditional self-love right now. Those conditions are conditions we impose on ourselves.

Typically, we've learned to act this way either through emulating parents who do this to themselves, or because parents impose those conditions on their children directly. They withhold affection and approval unless a child behaves the way they want them to, so the child learns that to receive love they must act a certain way for their parents. Then they internalize those conditions and impose them on themselves for the rest of their lives. But there is nothing forcing anyone to impose those conditions on themselves. People have just been convinced that's what they're supposed to do. I don't, and it's wonderful.

I love myself no matter what I do. But that doesn't mean I like everything I do, or that I don't try to improve myself, only that I don't withhold love from myself, even when I make mistakes. If I wasn't that way, I wouldn't be here, because my life is an absolute meat-grinder psychologically. I wouldn't have any reason at all to love myself if my love wasn't unconditional.

@2Milk That's what people are taught to feel. But it destroys lives. It's that very attitude that drives many people to places like SAS. If you loved yourself, you wouldn't stop trying to improve yourself, you'd just have a lot more energy to put toward it. I have tons of motivation to improve myself because I love myself and I want to be as awesome as I can be. Loving myself gives me the courage to push myself, because I know I can withstand failure.

If you're looking at a serious psychological beating from yourself every time you fail what happens is you stop trying. You can't stand the feeling of feeling like a failure, so you avoid anything that would make you feel that way. That's why people with poor self-esteem tend to be unemployed or underemployed, have few accomplishments, and limited social circles, whereas people with good self-esteem tend to have jobs, families, and friends.

In science, ideology tends to corrupt; absolute ideology [corrupts] absolutely" - Robert Nisbet
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Bored
There's nothing I like about myself.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 AM
Pandora’s Birthright

Quote:
i just realized this is in the frustration section.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Permanently Banned

I don't hate myself, only my grey hair
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:45 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
People I like almost always end up disliking me, sometimes they like me at first then still end up disliking me.

Even on this website I often end up communicating more with people who dislike me lol.

I don't hate myself though, I just dislike myself.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGemPearl View Post
Now there's someone who gets me.

“Honest to God, Bill, the way things are going, all I can think of is that I'm a character in a book by somebody who wants to write about somebody who suffers all the time.” ― Kilgore Trout

"I need to die" - Anonymous
"I'm just like...blaaaah. Effort? WTF is that? hahahaha" - Anonymous
"Love is a luxury" - Astron92
"One day you will look back at your life and you will only see your computer." - Nilufar
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGemPearl View Post
Why not both?
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Why not both?
Now there's someone who gets me even more than I do.

“Honest to God, Bill, the way things are going, all I can think of is that I'm a character in a book by somebody who wants to write about somebody who suffers all the time.” ― Kilgore Trout

"I need to die" - Anonymous
"I'm just like...blaaaah. Effort? WTF is that? hahahaha" - Anonymous
"Love is a luxury" - Astron92
"One day you will look back at your life and you will only see your computer." - Nilufar
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Blue Mage

Its easier said than done. How does one learn to love themself unconditionally, when they have hated themself for so long they don't even remember what it felt like to love themself?

I've thought I was starting to love myself again a number of times, but find that even without intending to I'm still putting conditions on it. I do love my family unconditionally, so I should be capable of it at least.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

Don't tell me what to do

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page