Started new job 2 months ago and really underperforming - need advice - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Started new job 2 months ago and really underperforming - need advice

I am in my late 20s and started a new job over 2 months ago. Its a mid senior level role in supply chain. I received barely any training and minimal guidance. Its a brand new team so the processes are not set up yet

I have been really struggling as a result because the requirements of the role are really ambigous and vague. When i ask people questions i usually dont get a clear answer.

I am not used to working independently. I was used to a manager who wouls give me lots of guidance previously so i hate not knowing if im doing things right or not

As a result ive been quite lost and my quality of work has been poor to be honest i dont even believe in my own work, i feel its a lot of BS what i have done so far.

i lost a lot of motivation and been procrastinating A LOT lately. Starting the job remotely made things way harder. Sometimes i get bored because i feel lost thar i just go to my bed to rest. Its really bad

My manager told me i am doing well but i dont believe him since he doesnt know how much i am slacking off. Now, work and projects are piling up and dont think ill be able to deliver and really scared people will get angry at me. I dont know what i am doing and i am bull****ing my way through. I feel really stupid during meetings and speak with very low confidence because my work is poor quality and BSing my way through. This is giving me very high anxiety.

Any advice? What can i do to turn things around? I feel its too late to turn things around after 2.5 months. I slacked off way too much and lose patience very easily.
I am hating waking up every morning because of the anxiety. I cant quit as i already quit a new job after 3 months in january.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
What makes you think your work is low quality?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I know it is. The analysis I do are very basic and but its the best i can do right now, but I know overall its pretty low quality

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

If your work is good in the eyes of manager then how can you think its bad. I think you should go out for exercise, and do some other kind of stuff too, for keeping you motivated for whole day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 02:56 AM
F0rum Pothole

I was actually in a similar position long ago. BS ing my way through while being given very minimal and ambiguous direction. It was stressful, everyday I go into work I wasn't sure if that's the day I will be caught being not qualified for the position. It did lasted about 2 years before the company went under. Honestly I never know how long I would've had lasted if it didn't.

If I were you, I will just force myself to be more confident and assertive to others. If you mess up, then you go out boldly at least. If it's a brand new team with processes still being set up, maybe that's why there's no clear direction as even your higher ups have no idea themselves in how to direct you.

Quote:
i lost a lot of motivation and been procrastinating A LOT lately. Starting the job remotely made things way harder. Sometimes i get bored because i feel lost thar i just go to my bed to rest. Its really bad
Now that's a bad sign. Honestly.

Quote:
If your work is good in the eyes of manager then how can you think its bad.
Not trying to be a damper to OP. But in most cases, 2.5 months is probably not enough time for a manager or a supervisor to realize underqualifications or incompetence of an employee. If this is indeed the case, it will eventually catch up and spill over.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 AM
SAS Member

Don't worry too much, what's the worst that can happen really? If you lose your job you can always find a new one. If it's the social anxiety of decieving your boss and looking like an impostor that's worrying you, just have to look at it in a less emotional way. Not sure if I'm being clear, whatever happens happens and it's not your fault that the company has hired you without making sure you were qualified. On the other hand If the worries are money related maybe looking for other jobs and a back up plan might help feeling more secure.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:25 AM
😀

Just keep at it; things will get easier. And do your best-onegaishimasu
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:21 AM
SAS Member

I am an expert BS-er, and you might be also. It could be that you are partially doing a good job, and partially winging it, or BS-ing your way through. If you haven't been reprimanded much, that means you probably are at least adequate. It might not last forever, so i would just make the best of it. If anyone you see there looks cute, flirt with them, basically anything to pass the time. I think a ton of people at jobs are not doing much, or doing the bare minimum, so I wouldn't beat yourself up. It isn't your fault it is not a structured environment with someone working with you directing you properly.

The world and work force is so broken in a way, that people like you, in your same situation, could possibly even get promoted, despite not doing their best or working well with people who give clear instructions of what to do. If you can BS your way this far, as miserable as it sounds, you could BS your way to even an upgrade of the position you have. So much of life and work and dating is BS-ing or just going with the flow. If you believe or convince yourself and others that you are doing well, then most likely people will buy into it. It does not sound like a good long-term situation because you have no clear direction and everything is scattered, but all I can say is it could be a lot worse. I work from home for many years, but all i did was make enemies in every job I had back then where I had to work with people. If you aren't at war with everyone, which i was, it could be worse
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:01 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
If your manager is happy then dont worry to much about it. You got time to learn and get better at what you think you are weak at.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:24 AM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
If your manager is happy then don't worry that much. Most people BS their way through jobs. Been doing that literally my whole career. if it gets bad look for a new job.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
Find the central aspects of your job position and do them thoroughly and scrupulously. Don't pay attention to any nonessentials. If you get a promotion just keep focusing on your job functions without getting sidetracked. People will then start to attack you. Do your best no to react in any emotional ways whatsoever because they'll destroy you with that. Humans descended from sharks. That's what they look for. After that you can make more progress but you will be tested in that aspect of your work relations.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page