Sick, feel weird - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Sick, feel weird

I have a sore throat, but that feels like it's going away. My left lung, or chest, I dunno, is aching and was all night, starting yesterday afternoon, I guess. Overall, I feel strange. I did drink a little too much on Friday night, and I was smoking out of a hookah. After a while I got tired of all of the hookah and cigarette smoke and in the last hours we were there I started to get dizzy.. I guess from being up so late, Coronas (which I really don't like), and surrounded by cigarettes. Maybe I'm still recovering from that. I really don't want to smoke anymore and I'm starting to fear for my health. I have no health insurance but I guess I should eventually apply for charity care. I just have to start taking better care of myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 AM
SAS Member

Sorry to say, but your habits sound pretty awful, my best advice is to slowly begin to purify your system, get off drugs/drinking, exercise more, eat healthy, you gotta start somewhere. I'd probably start within yourself, maybe hang out with better influence.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Not really drugs... Just alcohol and cigarettes. I barely smoke weed at all anymore. Can't afford it. The people I hang with are fine. We went to this Moroccan restaurant where hookah smoking is common. My friend is real into the hookah and always smokes the darn thing. I don't know if the pain is from smoking but I'm stopping. I have to. I don't want to have to go to the hospital and explain to my mom that I smoke. I don't even smoke usually more than 3-4 a day, but one is bad enough. I don't even buy packs, but I'm throwing my filter tubes and rolling tobacco away. The drinking, though, I'll take a break from that too. Maybe I'll switch to wine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 PM
SAS Member

There you go.. I guess I never understood why people put that **** in their mouth, we occasionally get smokers at the place I work at.. an all I can say is that I end up having a gagging reflex, I simply cannot tolerate the smell. With drinking, hasnt really been a problem for me, never liked the taste of beer, I do drink wine of occasion, but rarely, most of the time its just water, lots and lots of water.
I really wish you well.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Now my mom is talking about moving into another house, of which I probably won't be able to fit into unless I share a room with my brother. My only option is to live with my dad, which is not an option. Living anywhere else means I have to change my life and actually work somewhere. Now I feel like crap again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM

It's probably a change you really need, regardless of how you feel about it. Hope things get better, change is scary.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
SAS Veteran

I would really try to quit smoking if possible if I were you for your health's sake. Also over a long term use smoking weed causes brain damage. Many don't believe it's all that bad but there has been a lot of study on the effects. For the sake of your health, just don't smoke. Drinking in moderation is okay and shouldn't be a problem. I know it's not easy but you will feel better if you do stop/cut down.

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I haven't smoked a cigarette since Friday night. It really is disgusting. I'm glad I'm not craving them. I'm not a true cigarette smoker, er, addict.

Smoking weed, I don't believe causes brain damage in too many cases. Possibly if you smoke weed on 5 occasions a day for 10 years, something is going to go wrong. There are hardcore potheads and it's just obvious that they got a little bit too into it. Then there are the late teens/early 20's folks who smoke so much in a matter of years and then stop altogether because they get so sick of themselves, and then they go into their anti-pothead rant on weed phase that can last maybe forever, or they turn into a moderate casual user. So, then you have your everyday marijuana user, working class Joe and Jane. Most people that I have met who smoke weed are too busy working to be getting high all day and couldn't get away with it, anyway, not to mention aren't willing to shell out that much of their income for it.

btw Anxiety, where did you get your quote from? The Tremeloes song? The Searchers, a 60's band, covered it... that is how I know it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I don't know what a hookah is.

I would make some plans on what to do if your mother does move. That way, it might give you something to work on instead of worrying about "easing the pain".

I think you are making a good start out of talking about it here.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

You don't know what a hookah is? God darn. I hope people here don't think I'm doing some crazy drug. A hookah is a very old smoking device that originates from the Middle East. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah You smoke flavored tobacco out of it. Most of the tobacco my friend puts in has very little nicotine in it. He claims from everything he has read that "it's not bad for you" and that there is a lot less tar than smoking a cigarette. He's read all of the studies and has come to the conclusion that it's not really bad for you. It's not hard to believe that because you are actually passing hot air over moist tobacco, as opposed to actually lighting dry tobacco rolled up in a paper and inhaling pure smoke. Hookah, cigarette smoking... much different. At the same time, though, something gave me that chest ache, and I don't smoke that much of either.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 PM

It's what the caterpillar had in Alice in Wonderland.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Not to go further into this, but I actually think the fact that quick lighting charcoals are used might have made me sick. Apparently you could be breathing in heavy metals. I was reading into it and it seems like users may be exposed to chemicals that come from the charcoal. I don't smoke the thing that much, but this guy does everyday of his life now. I think I'm done with the hookah, because I know something made my chest hurt.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I didn't know those were called hookahs!

Geez - I learn more about the world from this site than I do in the real world .

It's possible that charcoal could have made you sick - it'll clear out, though.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel better. No more chest pain at all. I've been exposing myself to the outdoors as usual.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page