Should mentally ill people avoid having children? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
happy i dodged a bullet

My Mood: Cheerful

Should mentally ill people avoid having children?

Mental,from anxiety,depression,ocd,bipolar schiz..ect...

I've been reading articles about it..and it makes a bit of sense,

Not saying all should avoid it, BC there are some who have lesser mental ills and can manage.

Do you think its the *responsible * thing to do for those who know they have an unbearable mental illness?

I also read the mother of that Oregon shooter had autism spectrum...

So what do u think?

🎵I wake up everyday celebrating sh(I)t why? BC I just dodged a bullet from a crazy b(I)tch🎵 I realized I cant fix broken people...i tried.. I cant help someone who wont take accountability.for where they went wrong...but its okay..bc I'll always be fine. No sleep will be lost, ....the video below is me, basically.

Always thank someone for showing their true colors.. Now you see them for who them are and can cut them off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

honestly mental ill people (like us) should probably consult their therapist or family planner instead of jumping in. assessing the risks is always a good idea, and making sure you have your health managed. but there are loads of mentally ill parents that are good parents and good people and i don't think it should be a ban all sort of situation.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Seriously , never serious

Obviously depending on soooo many circumstances and degrees but I would say yes in some cases and no in others . Way too many variables .

. WTF is wrong with me

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Pensive
It's up to each individual. I don't think an illness should disqualify anyone from parenthood.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Permanently Banned

Yes, of course.
I don't want to give an illness like ****ing SA to anybody. Nobody deserves a punishment as sever as social anxiety, nobody.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM
SAS Member

Many mental illnesses are treatable, especially in cases where mental illness is reactive, that is, a reaction to some very bad occurrence or unfortunate circumstance.

The occurrence of mass shootings is more of a social problem stemming from the pervasive isolation in the United States, the spread of violent memes (racism, misogyny, etc.), and perhaps the easy availability of firearms in the United States. I hope the Oregon shooting does not evolve into some witch hunt against mentally ill people.

Edit: So, no, I don't see a problem with people suffering from mental illness procreating. Huge numbers of Americans now suffer from depression, largely thanks to our isolated, atomized, and unhealthy social environment.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
A child will NOT solve the problems of the mentally ill. Don't even get a pet for that purpose. If you can't care for yourself, don't bring something else into the mix that is dependent on you. I think romantic relationships can be supportive, but please don't subject kids, animals, etc. to an illness that you don't already have well managed.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
happy i dodged a bullet

My Mood: Cheerful
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by regimes View Post
honestly mental ill people (like us) should probably consult their therapist or family planner instead of jumping in. assessing the risks is always a good idea, and making sure you have your health managed. but there are loads of mentally ill parents that are good parents and good people and i don't think it should be a ban all sort of situation.
I think consulting a therapist or family planner would be the best thing to do.

🎵I wake up everyday celebrating sh(I)t why? BC I just dodged a bullet from a crazy b(I)tch🎵 I realized I cant fix broken people...i tried.. I cant help someone who wont take accountability.for where they went wrong...but its okay..bc I'll always be fine. No sleep will be lost, ....the video below is me, basically.

Always thank someone for showing their true colors.. Now you see them for who them are and can cut them off
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Permanently Banned

I hope this question becomes meaningless as new treatments are developed in the near future that work better than current ones.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Moving Towards Destiny

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleInSTL View Post
A child will NOT solve the problems of the mentally ill. Don't even get a pet for that purpose. If you can't care for yourself, don't bring something else into the mix that is dependent on you. I think romantic relationships can be supportive, but please don't subject kids, animals, etc. to an illness that you don't already have well managed.

I tend to agree with you.
If you have a mental / emotional condition that makes it hard to even take care of yourself, it would more than likely be a disaster if you tried to take care of children as well. If you cannot take care of yourself well, then how can you take care of others. especially children that need around the clock care?

I had girlfriends on and off in years past, but I knew instinctively that I was too screwed up to marry and have a family so I avoided it. I cannot manage my own life well so I would end up fouling up some poor child's life too.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
Hell no

TRE45ON

Mayor Pete, top choice for US vets- a sus ordenes mi teniente.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump
No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Worried
If you can't even take care of yourself, you sure as hell shouldn't be taking care of nobody else. For someone like me to become a father (not that I'd want to) would be plain selfish because I'll be imposing the outcomes of my ****ty life choices as well as total lack of responsibility onto my kids. I can hardly be a father to myself. It's hard enough to live with someone like me, it sure as hell will be harder completely depending on me and seeing me as some sort of mentor, provider or caregiver.
Plus, there is the whole genetics deal. I don't want to pass on my ****ing psycho mentally ill predisposing genes onto anyone else.
My mom feeds our cat and cleans out the litterbox and ****. I can't even take care of a ****ing cat.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Fine
idk for me it's everything, my last hope.

you guys need union man
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Twisted
100% yes. In fact, It should be illegal.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCod View Post
Yes, of course.
I don't want to give an illness like ****ing SA to anybody. Nobody deserves a punishment as sever as social anxiety, nobody.
Yeah but sometimes SA doesn't run through genetics and also I like to think that by overcoming SA your life is so much better compared to someone that began without SA. Another analogy is a peasant becoming a king feels better than a king born into being one. So if you love children and want to have some of your own, just support them and love them. It will make life a lot better for you and you will become awesome for giving life to someone.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Inoffensive kitty pic

My Mood: Sneaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
It's up to each individual. I don't think an illness should disqualify anyone from parenthood.
Must...celebrate agreement...with Cletis!

YAY

Follow me on twitter! I like interesting things and conversations - https://twitter.com/ademotivator

My political blog latest post! (about American gun culture!) - http://thedemotivator.com/anything-but-guns/

Soundcloud for my acoustic rock music - https://soundcloud.com/thedemotivator
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Away From The Pulsebeat

No. Mental illness should not discourage you from living the life you want. My parents are both mentally ill but they still had me and my two brothers.

I want to one day have a wife and kids. SA should not prevent me from doing that.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Permanently Banned

I wonder how they would enforce this. Forced sterilization was used on mentally ill for this exact reason, but became a major taboo issue.

It would make more sense to take the money from the costs of the birth control that would have been used and instead apply it learn more about mental illness and use it to treat people so that they wouldn't be passing on their problems to an innocent person. If genetic testing become affordable enough, hospitals could run them on all their newborns so that parent's can be aware of any future problems. Though that does get into the big government debate.

Also 7th.Streeter, autism isn't a mental illness, it's called a neurodevelopmental disorder, just to let you know.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Permanently Banned

YES.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angry
Yes, same with people with physical illnesses or deformities.

This whole right wing capitalist mantra in which we live states that we ought to be born equal to have a chance to prosper. Someone born with a mental illness is not equal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page