Should I stop taking anti anxiety medication? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Should I stop taking anti anxiety medication?

At this point, I've tried over 5 different medications and none of them have done a thing for me. I'm wondering if at this point I should just stop as I'm wasting money paying for the medication and paying for my psychiatrist, who I don't even feel as if I have a good connection with. I never had any mental health issues until I gained weight, and I'm trying to lose all of that weight hoping my anxiety will go away.

So should I just stop taking the medication?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Well if it's not working, may as well give it up. Especially since you were fine before the weight gain. I'm personally very against medication for a mental issue, but that's just my baseless opinion since I don't have proof that they don't work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Yeah I just wasn't sure if gaining weight could really make you have mental health issues. I'm not obese or anything, but by BMI standards, I'm overweight since I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs with a small belly.

I also have incredibly bad excessive sweating issues. I sweat whenever I exert any type of energy.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

I think this is something you need to discus with your doctor. He or she knows best why you're on meds. If they gave you on meds because you wanted them to give you something and they just did the easiest thing and gave you prescription, then there's a good chance you don't need the medications. But if they thought that you could do something bad to yourself and they put you on drugs because of that, then this is a very different story. I bet it was the first thing.

By the way, losing weight could definitely help you improve your self-image and self-esteem. And bad self-image is usually at the root of social anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Andre

Feel free to visit me at my social anxiety advice blog, where I share what I have learned so far. Maybe you can find something helpful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page