Seriously, how are you all coping? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I'm a wheelman.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:29 PM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWater View Post
Thanks @rabidfoxes . I need to really look into SEO seriously. I was last year before I took a temporary job. Same thing a few years ago where I started learning about it, got hired somewhere, put it down and forgot about it. Maybe now's the time.
Great, if you do learn it, please teach me as well, so I can suck less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
You sound like a really interesting person. Like those people you see on Youtube that go and work as digital nomads up in Chiang Mai in Thailand.

Search Engine Optimisation sounds interesting too - although I obvioulsy know nothing about it. My son (a programmer) used to tell me I should get a web-site. I used to sell rare books on sites like ebay and a big one called abebooks.com. He's probably right but I still haven't done it - I should at least buy the domain name I guess.
Thanks, but no! I've got mixed feelings about this digital nomad thing, because essentially these people go and live well exploiting the global poverty gap (although I have been to Chiang Mai). I can't blame them either, but if I decided to do that, I'd probably do some volunteering/free work to give something back to the local community and deal with my guilt.

It's just a source of income for now, and possibly in the future, but not something I would like to do full time because I don't think it adds much good to the world we live in. Unlike selling rare books. You'd love my city - it's known for rare book stores, auctions and faires. I'm afraid to go inside those bookstores, and just stare at them from the outside.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:39 PM
manic in Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Great, if you do learn it, please teach me as well, so I can suck less!

Thanks, but no! I've got mixed feelings about this digital nomad thing, because essentially these people go and live well exploiting the global poverty gap (although I have been to Chiang Mai). I can't blame them either, but if I decided to do that, I'd probably do some volunteering/free work to give something back to the local community and deal with my guilt.

It's just a source of income for now, and possibly in the future, but not something I would like to do full time because I don't think it adds much good to the world we live in. Unlike selling rare books. You'd love my city - it's known for rare book stores, auctions and faires. I'm afraid to go inside those bookstores, and just stare at them from the outside.
Maybe one day you can tell me which city that is? (maybe in a PM?)

I've spent some time in places like Paris and London - but I was very unstable at the time. They have some great bookshops and book fairs. I hope I can go back again one day when I'm alright - would be great.

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 AM
SAS Member

Software engineer so I dont need to deal with people as much. When I use to work fast food though I was ready to fight some people.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Still thinking of one.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I'm unemployed. That's the only way I've ever been able to cope. I can't handle structure.

So I will limp along like this until I have no one left to depend on and then I guess I'm done.
How do you fund yourself unemployed?

Show this to everyone who does not understand social anxiety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KDiUq9AdM&t=219s
_
Youtube poops are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbU...3r3m3xw03c010c
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:35 AM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
I'm currently unemployed for obvious reasons but I have had jobs in the past and found that, as long as I can zone out and work on autopilot, it doesn't matter how many people are around.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Broke boy

On the record: i have plans

off the record: im a neurotic mess
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Moron

I make meat helmets for cats & dogs at the local spca.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 AM
indo cloudhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky1 View Post
On the record: i have plans

off the record: im a neurotic mess

the Self appears inside your experiences.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

I work as a logistics associate, making minimum wage. Basically a warehouse job.
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Barbells and kittens

I drive a truck, so being social or not is mostly irrelevant. Being polite to customers for a minute or two while they sign my paperwork isn't too bad. Besides that it's mostly just truck stop and hotel clerks and the guys we get to unload the truck that I briefly have to deal with. Since work varies week to week I get a lot of random days off throughout the week which helps, too.
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Persona Non Grata

My Mood: Worried
My job is basically data entry...boring, tedious work. My employer is stingy on benefits and perks, there is little to no room for advancement unless you are in with the “cool crowd” and days drag on and on because morale is pretty low and several of my co-workers are always miserable and super unfriendly. There is a overwhelming lack of communication from the boss as well. I deal with this by consuming copious amounts of caffeine and Spotify..thankfully we are allowed to wear headphones because that helps me to get thru the day.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I've been a rank-and-file office drone for the past 4-5 years since moving out.

I don't think I actually cope. But over the years I've used a series of distractions (traveling, dating, TV shows, etc.) otherwise dealing with the reality of what my life has become would be overwhelming and horrifying. Or what I had become - a negative, anxious person full of unresolved rage.

I've jumped from job to job, guy to guy, but still face the same problems over and over again.

So I guess the answer is that I just kept running.

But I never started drugs to escape, at least. Did have a bout of alcoholism including drinking as soon as waking up, but that's over with.
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
The best description about me with this kind of question I can think of...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
I drive a truck, so being social or not is mostly irrelevant. Being polite to customers for a minute or two while they sign my paperwork isn't too bad. Besides that it's mostly just truck stop and hotel clerks and the guys we get to unload the truck that I briefly have to deal with. Since work varies week to week I get a lot of random days off throughout the week which helps, too.
do you need a driver’s assistant/slave
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Barbells and kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky1 View Post
do you need a driver’s assistant/slave
For local stuff we have guys that ride with. Out of state I go alone and they hire help wherever I'm going. Local food and beverage delivery, appliance delivery, and things like that would likely use driver's assistants. Most likely the driver would be the one dealing with the customers and doing paperwork, so less socializing for the assistant.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
For local stuff we have guys that ride with. Out of state I go alone and they hire help wherever I'm going. Local food and beverage delivery, appliance delivery, and things like that would likely use driver's assistants. Most likely the driver would be the one dealing with the customers and doing paperwork, so less socializing for the assistant.
Oh, cool. I’m guessing its not a very long-term position in most cases. Something i’ll look into before college.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
Sleeping while wishing I wouldn't wake up, music, and dreaming of what are most likely just a bunch of pipe dreams, but they make even just .01% hopeful at least.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
PhD student here. I was just always pushed by my parents to do the best I can, and I always liked science and knew becoming a scientist was the only real option for me - I'm absolutely not suited for office jobs, and the need to use my brain all the time is almost a necessity.

It was rough back in my worse SA days, but I had a goal and kept pushing for it despite what my body was telling me. You just kind of grit your teeth and go for it.

My SA wasn't as bad as for some people, I guess. It made human interaction painful, but it didn't prevent me from socializing for as much as was needed to progress in my studies and research. And that progress, in turn, boosted my confidence and gave me the, "My SA doesn't matter, I'm successful anyway", attitude which made it very easy to cope with it.

This is how life works: when something is very hard, you need to push for it and do it no matter how hard it is - and as you do it, it becomes easier and easier, until one day you look back and wonder, "What was I even scared of?" It is the first few steps that are hard, but from there it gets better continuously.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffinityWing View Post
Sleeping while wishing I wouldn't wake up, music, and dreaming of what are most likely just a bunch of pipe dreams, but they make even just .01% hopeful at least.
help from your parents?

Show this to everyone who does not understand social anxiety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KDiUq9AdM&t=219s
_
Youtube poops are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbU...3r3m3xw03c010c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page