People seem like automatons these days - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

People seem like automatons these days

Whenever I do actually take the effort to socialize, or even when i worked in customer service full-time, i realized that the average person is truly on a lower level of consciousness and lacks critical thought. They don't actually listen to me and it seems like they are deaf or missing something. They listen to you to reply, not to actually think. Perhaps they reflect later on..

Like they spit out the first thing that is on their mind most of the time without really analyzing what I said since it doesn't suit their ego or w.e or they're just lazy. My out-of-school counsellor/ therapist at one point even said "why do you take so long to answer questions?" like it was a bad thing... They respond out of emotion like a squirrel would react to seeing a peanut on the ground and proceed to resort to straw-man arguments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 AM
SAS Member

That is because basically everyone is a narcissist now.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
That is because basically everyone is a narcissist now.
I actually quit retail because i was seriously depressed about how the general public could be so, ya know (even my coworkers) . Yes so true and all the gossiping made me sick to my stomach. You'd think that after being treated like scum all day by customers there would be some camaraderie behind the scenes. I remember 2 girls (coworkers) making fun of my friend's boyfriend looks behind her back and I felt sick being in their presence as they tried to include me in it. All i said was "well his hair is pretty rad" and they started laughing like they thought i was joking.

edit: im sure they were also talking behind my back, in particular this one girl who couldn't keep her mouth shut if she tried. Said i was quiet/boring and creepy or something like that according to my friend. Then i had the joy of working with this high-schooler who would blast rap and act all "alpha" and thought he was above me since he had been there longer. Giving me orders like "mop harder" and petty stuff like that lmao.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM
SAS Member

My responses are way too thought out and deep for the average person. I don't think i am that smart but I can't relate to people at all, which I guess is my own problem. I don't even have a college degree but i tend to answer in the most complicated way.I think most people will respond with quick one-liner type humor which goes over well with most of the population. Like people are ready with the next witty response that might require one brain cell. There is just so much going on in the world and a lot to talk about, I just think even any conversation more involved falls on deaf ears. The way Jimmy Fallon or a late night talk show host respond to whatever topic is EXACTLY what will gain you friends. All you need is 10 words or less. My problem is I like to think too creatively and get into more involved discussions which no one wants.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 PM
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

Language: PHP, Javascript
Some of them are just thinking a different way: you think inside your head, they think outside their heads. Your way is not objectively better, just different. Their method works better with the right interlocutors because they're combining the thoughts of the group. While you try to work everything out on your own before expressing anything, they voice the full process and get real time feedback because they're not afraid of revealing unfinished work.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Some of them are just thinking a different way: you think inside your head, they think outside their heads. Your way is not objectively better, just different. Their method works better with the right interlocutors because they're combining the thoughts of the group. While you try to work everything out on your own before expressing anything, they voice the full process and get real time feedback because they're not afraid of revealing unfinished work.
You make a very good point. It does seem that the average person interacts more in real time.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 PM
quinoa pain

Language: 英語と日本語

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:28 AM
SAS Member

I'm not sure they all are. I just think there's a custom of reserve and politeness for relationships in which an initial intimacy has yet to be established.
People are often very defensive about their own opinions, and are not always willing to unleash them in the presence of people who they do not yet trust not judge them negatively if they do not accord with their own. I know a lot of people (including myself) who can come across a little automatic or thoughtless, until you get them in a more comfortable environment free from judgement and then lo and behold they do have or5iginal thoughts afterall.

I think this is especially true of social phobics. I won a scholarship for post grad study but usually when i talk to someone i come across like an absolute retard. My head is so full of anxious thoughts and concerns there is simply no space in there for intelligent thought to occur
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 AM
bleeeaaergh

Reply for sub/
I'll be fwaking this thread up/
This crappy freestyle needs no riddim or dub!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Perhaps you are right, but i still feel ostracized. "Automatons" might be a harsh word, maybe... This bouncing ideas off each other idea is cool, whenever i have the "pleasure" of their company they usually won't even concern me or make eye contact... Perhaps tone is important to but i still feel like i lack charisma regardless. the loudest and most respected usually prevails. I talk, but I slip in light comments that are shallow and trite.

Example from Customer 1 : Do your plastic bag costs 5 cents?!?!?!... Me: Since April of last year... customer 2 : these people are lucky we come here this is crazy! customer 1: i know! always trying to gouge us. Me: So... would you like a bag? customers: well are you gonna charge me for it?? Me: Well now i am , (and how hard is it to carry around a 0.1 kg re-usable plastic bag with you that is durable and will last you years(inside my head) i turn passive-aggressive i guess which i need to work on..

I'm not saying everyone is like that komiki, i'm saying a good enough amount of people to leave an impression are.

Anyway this form of social quarrel is not for me. Turn everything into a one-up game
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Breezy
Anyone is going to seem dull to someone who is inside their head 24/7. You have a perfectly fleshed out, intricate perception of yourself due to your internal focus. Everyone else is rendered in lower resolution (from your own perspective).

Also, it's easy to critique the things you don't feel part of. It's a natural compulsion to marginalize anything that threatens your self esteem.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Work, eat, sleep repeat

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Anyone is going to seem dull to someone who is inside their head 24/7. You have a perfectly fleshed out, intricate perception of yourself due to your internal focus. Everyone else is rendered in lower resolution (from your own perspective).

Also, it's easy to critique the things you don't feel part of. It's a natural compulsion to marginalize anything that threatens your self esteem.
Since quitting marijuana i feel less like this but ya, feeling like you don't have a voice can make some1 defensive i guess. I can turn that anger into humor and just laugh at every absurd interaction or person or political move, whatever.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Tired

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Came in to post this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post

Very good point.

Based on how I used to think (I thought along the same lines as the OP),something here about propping up ones sense of self esteem and performing avoidance by putting everyone else down. If you don't fit in, and struggle to interact, then cognitive dissonance (either you have the issue, or "everyone else" does) suggests you need to prop up the more agreeable idea (everyone else does). Because fitting in is difficult, doing conversations is difficult etc with SA, it's a much nicer perspective if everyone else are just "automatons" and lack ones own capabilities.

Of course, this is highly unlikely of the two opposing possibilities. People most likely have just as good critical thinking skills, and capacity for thought, they just are skilled at communication as well. It's a nice way to have to avoid having to interact though and justify avoidance.

I used to do this and its an example of just how devious avoidance can be.

I don't mean this critically OP btw, this is just literally how and why I used to think like this. It took about 6 months of therapy before I figured it out though and was willing to accept it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Came in to post this.

Very good point.

Based on how I used to think (I thought along the same lines as the OP),something here about propping up ones sense of self esteem and performing avoidance by putting everyone else down. If you don't fit in, and struggle to interact, then cognitive dissonance (either you have the issue, or "everyone else" does) suggests you need to prop up the more agreeable idea (everyone else does). Because fitting in is difficult, doing conversations is difficult etc with SA, it's a much nicer perspective if everyone else are just "automatons" and lack ones own capabilities.

Of course, this is highly unlikely of the two opposing possibilities. People most likely have just as good critical thinking skills, and capacity for thought, they just are skilled at communication as well. It's a nice way to have to avoid having to interact though and justify avoidance.

I used to do this and its an example of just how devious avoidance can be.

I don't mean this critically OP btw, this is just literally how and why I used to think like this. It took about 6 months of therapy before I figured it out though and was willing to accept it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
Ya it's hard to fit in these days. I still think many people just spew out whatever comes to mind and lack principles but hey that;s just my collective experience talking i guess. (not talking about you) Yes being quiet is the number 1 reason i'm an outcast most likely. But even when I try it's hard to connect with co-workers who listen to drake and post on instagram for a hobby. Maybe once i reach my 30s I'll have a clearer idea of who I can interact with more and trust.
I'm in the process of getting a sponsor for my alcoholism and drug addiction so hopefully that will snowball. I'd be happy with 1 friend honestly, the more people the less you can be yourself any way.
edit: maybe working in retail too long has made me bitter and im still recovering as i never thought too much about that before. Maybe if we weren't
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
it seems the opposite to me. I am the automaton and everyone else is socially alive.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM