Panic attack! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Panic attack!

I just came back from a lecture where everyone did a five minute presentation on industrial disasters. Mine was on chernobyl.
I got a panic attack 30 seconds in, and said I would like to stop. Even though there were 10 people max in that class...I feel like a pathetic piece of crap.

I spent two weeks preparing that presentation, it makes me so frustrated. At least the teacher will get the transcript so they will see I actually did the work.

I feel horrible.

Mind blown...

Kaboom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Describes me perfectly during high school presentations. ugh. Have you tried relaxing yourself beforehand? Chewing gum, or drinking tea?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

That sucks. You shouldn't feel pathetic though, panic attacks aren't really something you can control. I suggest seeing the professor and explaining what happened.

BRO

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

u did the right thing to stop. If it was me i woulden't know what to do because my mind would be running like crazy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLikeJesus View Post
u did the right thing to stop. If it was me i woulden't know what to do because my mind would be running like crazy.
Running like crazy? You mean the THERE IS A LION IN FRONT OF ME AND ITS ABOUT TO EAT ME WHILST THESE ELECTRIC EELS ARE ELECTROCUTING ME kind of feeling? Yeah, I get TERRIFIED and start shaking and my heart starts to hurt. I'm so dumbbbbb.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 PM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

smart decision to stop i wouldve just made myself keep going an break down afterwards badly

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid a View Post
smart decision to stop i wouldve just made myself keep going an break down afterwards badly
At least you would've finished...How do you keep going? My throat closes up so I physically can't speak anymore because I can't breathe. Maybe there are different types of anxiety attacks. What are yours like?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

i think its cause i fear the embarrassment to much even though its more embarrassment caused by making myself continue then there is if i just stopped. my throat gets a clogged up feeling and i can feel my heart pounding in it, an my voice (if im doing a presentation) will sound like its far away or something. i think theres a slight different between panicking during an attack an just having major anxiety during an attack. mine usually consists of just crazy anxiety

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broseph View Post
That sucks. You shouldn't feel pathetic though, panic attacks aren't really something you can control. I suggest seeing the professor and explaining what happened.
-____- Yet I think others perceive me as stupid and pathetic because of this and I project that onto myself.
Thank you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page