OCD about Learning/Remembering Things - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

OCD about Learning/Remembering Things

This may sound weird, but I have realized that I have an obsession with knowing things. I know it is normal to want to learn about things, but I have a fear of someone asking me something and me not being able to answer them. I feel I may look incompetent and seem like less of a person if I don't know things. I guess it stems from me being a perfectionist. I can be in the middle of something and all of a sudden get a thought about wanting to know how something works or if I hear people talking about something and if I don't know what a certain word or statement they make means I do not feel at rest until I know. The thing is that I know there is no way for me to know everything and I am not a genius, so it is impossible for me to remember a whole lot. I get frustrated with myself if someone is talking about something or I read something and realize I do not remember what it means after I have previously learned about it. Also, if in conversation I am asked what something means I get frustrated because I do not always know how to explain things well.

I know this seems trivial to what other problems that there are in life, but just wondered if anyone else deals with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

This is exactly the OCD I struggled with.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Island Man

I deal with this every single day of my life. To the point that when I read about something I tend to try to memorize every word and I get frustrated if I feel that im not doing it perfectly or something like that. I cant explain really. I cant even work-out withoung being frustrated or having anxiety because of the thought that im not doing it right.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM
SAS Member

So if you guys were from an era before the Internets, do you think you'd be keeping every book and newspaper you'd come across? You know... just in case? I ask this because I think my mom has this kind of OCD.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Island Man

well you cant have all the books you come across. And I certainly would prefer doing something else than reading something that is not of interest to me.

Does your mom do that? hehe.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page