Nothing seems all that memorable anymore - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic

Nothing seems all that memorable anymore

I still have enjoyable experiences, but it's like I completely forget what it was like afterwards. I just go back to being my old boring self again. Is this depression or is it just a part of growing up? I don't wanna be an adult if that's the case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:24 AM
The Groat King

Yeah you are too young to feel like that. Now me on the other hand, I'm middle aged and quite jaded! But at 19 I was still enjoying things.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I struggle to remember things now too but I am 25 (although it's been years now I think.) I do wonder how much that plays into my motivational anhedonia tbh.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM
stickler for paperwork

I know exactly what you mean. This has been a recent phenomenon for me too.

When something nice happened to me before, I remembered it acutely for days, weeks later, and felt just as giddy. Now that giddiness abates within the hour.
I think it's a symptom of loss of naivete. I used to get happy about these things because I thought they were game-changers: "Ok, I made a friend, my life is going to be better now." Now I know: "That was a good day. It's over now." The second way of thinking is more true to life, but of course less pleasurable. Your brain has been learning.

It also probably has something to do with the accumulation of experiences that comes with living longer.
The subjective experience of time follows a logarithmic pattern.
When you had only lived 10 years, 1 year was 10% of your life. When you're 20, it's 5%. That whole year seems a lot less significant to you than if it was one of a mere few. There's just so much going on in your memory pool that you can't attach strong emotion to all of them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM
stickler for paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
Yeah you are too young to feel like that. Now me on the other hand, I'm middle aged and quite jaded! But at 19 I was still enjoying things.
oh you funny nihilist you
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Now I think it's more that nothing seems to have any lasting impact, there were definitely some memorable things from last year and I guess I should be thankful for that at least.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 PM
monk

oh you're only 23? don't worry, young is the new old. old people are idiots. and suddenly it surprises me how much older i am than a bunch of people. but age is just a number. people are people.

nothing has happened to me for a year and a half. something (bad, i guessed) almost happened but i stopped it. things will undoubtedly happen, and i ought to be grateful for a break. to have enjoyment there must be suffering, but i'm not suffering yet.

anywho i think you're an interesting person

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 12:27 AM
SAS Member

I think as a teenager and young child, I had a sense of wonder or something about the world, and if i played Nintendo Game boy for 7 hours straight and ate 5 donuts it was a good day. What you are describing I think is just life. Whatever thrill you seek and get from anything is very brief and fleeting, and then you are basically starting from scratch and looking for the next journey to the next thing.
It is like sex, it is kinda a big deal but they say the average time is like 10 minutes, i mean i could spend 5 hours on a dating site in one night you know. The thrill wears off quickly. If you climb mount everest, getting to the peak is just a brief time of a few minutes where you look down at everything, then you go back down, you risk your life getting up it and down it. Then you plan for the next year to climb mount kilimanjaro, for a quick thrill then the next thing. Drugs or alcohol is very similar, you get a quick buzz and then crash. Or extreme sports, like skydiving, you are only in the air for like 2 minutes, but you had to fly to this location and then get in a helicopter to fall out for that brief time. I was in helicopter tours in NY and Philadelphia and you feel great for that short 15 or 20 minute ride which costs like $200. And i was in a speedboat a few months ago that went 78mph, you had to drive 2 hours to get to the speedboat, it was a 2 hour tour for $200 and of the 2 hours, you are only going full speed for 10-15 minutes (twice for 6 or 7 minutes each time). Nothing lasts forever and everything in life is a quick thrill and then back to your same BS routine
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:14 AM
Packing My Bags

I think it's normal for you to feel this way as you get older. Chances are you already experience something or part of something, so it doesn't resonate with you as much as you do when you're younger and your experience is still fresh.

Although in OP's case, he's was still a teen when he made this thread, so this will probably get worse as you really reach into actual adulthood. But depression definitely does make this worse, since you will usually just don't care for much else aside from dwelling into ongoing depression. You will feel like nothing else really matter or whole too much significance. It's a bad feeling.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:57 PM
:D

its probably a mix of growing up and depression. growing up, well you already know a lot about life. everything like a butterfly or clouds that used to be the most amazing thing in the world as a kid, well its all normal and boring now.

Check out my YouTube channel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page