My social anxiety is holding me back - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Spanish,English

My social anxiety is holding me back

I’m 26 and I honestly don’t have anything going for my life. I have no job and when I do get jobs I end up quitting bc I’m not really a social person and I get panic attacks 😞 it’s really difficult to have a life lol well I mean I don’t have any friends I don’t go out since I have no one to go out w. I haven’t been on any dates recently the last date I’ve been on was in the year 2014 when I was 21 and tbh it sucks not having a social life when I was a kid I thought I was gonna be happy and have a social life but nope I just feel really miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Sorry you're having a hard time - I can relate to most of what you've said - it can be really difficult! Have you had any help for the panic attacks?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

No I just wait till it’s over and I try not to like overthink things a lot /: like sometimes everytime I have like a job interview or something where I gotta meet new People I just start to get panic attacks it’s really tough I just wanna live a normal life

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
Sorry; I've been in situations like that before.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyy22 View Post
No I just wait till it’s over and I try not to like overthink things a lot /: like sometimes everytime I have like a job interview or something where I gotta meet new People I just start to get panic attacks it’s really tough I just wanna live a normal life
I can totally understand and relate to the way you feel. All I can say is that you are not alone! Panic attacks are extremely draining and worrisome stay strong mate life will be better soon.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms14 View Post
I can totally understand and relate to the way you feel. All I can say is that you are not alone! Panic attacks are extremely draining and worrisome stay strong mate life will be better soon.

Thanks hope life does get better soon.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:33 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Quote:

It sure will!!! God bless
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Iím 26 and I honestly donít have anything going for my life. I have no job and when I do get jobs I end up quitting bc Iím not really a social person and I get panic attacks 😞 itís really difficult to have a life lol well I mean I donít have any friends I donít go out since I have no one to go out w. I havenít been on any dates recently the last date Iíve been on was in the year 2014 when I was 21 and tbh it sucks not having a social life when I was a kid I thought I was gonna be happy and have a social life but nope I just feel really miserable.
Do you go on dates if someone asks?

/WYSD
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:44 PM
SAS Member

Panic attacks are horrible. I use to get them if I had to speak in class. Probaly still would today if I had a job that required it.

Stay positive things will get better. Try to make small progress each day.

What type of job interests you or what type of job do you think you would be good at?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Do you go on dates if someone asks?

I would if I got asked lol and if I’m attracted to the person..but nope haven’t been asked in years. Probably my fault tho cause I don’t dress up anymore when I go out.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Panic attacks are horrible. I use to get them if I had to speak in class. Probaly still would today if I had a job that required it.

Stay positive things will get better. Try to make small progress each day.

What type of job interests you or what type of job do you think you would be good at?

I actually got a job now and itís in retail. I donít really like it just cause im really really shy. Thatís one of the reasons why I applied for a retail job tho so I can get over my shyness. Hopefully it helps me overcome it lol. I want an office job/a cubicle type job but I think a college degree is needed for that. And ultimately I stopped going to college about 3 years ago.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It sure will!!! God bless
Thank you!(:
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:50 PM
bipolar

It's always held me back too - and it still is. I've had a social life before, I've had relationships - all that crap, but for some reason it's always held me back as far as work is concerned. Intellectually I could have done much more if I could just hold things together a bit better. I'm a bloody mess half the time - moreso now than before actually.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
It's always held me back too - and it still is. I've had a social life before, I've had relationships - all that crap, but for some reason it's always held me back as far as work is concerned. Intellectually I could have done much more if I could just hold things together a bit better. I'm a bloody mess half the time - moreso now than before actually.

Can relate - more-so to the work part. Every time I quit a job I feel like I basically fail my parents (I still live w them)....because everytime I get a new job theyíre so happy lol. But then I go for a day or 2 and I just quit. I wish I can do better when it comes to keeping a job. Hope it gets better for you!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I actually got a job now and itís in retail. I donít really like it just cause im really really shy. Thatís one of the reasons why I applied for a retail job tho so I can get over my shyness. Hopefully it helps me overcome it lol. I want an office job/a cubicle type job but I think a college degree is needed for that. And ultimately I stopped going to college about 3 years ago.

So has the need to talk to people as part of your retail job made you more comfortable being social and less anxious? I did customer service jobs for a while and I thought it helped me a bit. Kind of like exposure therapy

You don't always have to have a college degree to get an office job depending on what type of job it is.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
Any desire to go back to school/get a degree? I think when you go back to school later on, it's a lot easier dealing with the anxiety of it. I finished my degree at age 30 (took like 4 years off and switched my major in the process). My second go-round, I had no desire to interact with anybody because everybody talked/acted so immature. So I got perfect grades my last few semesters I needed to graduate. When I first went, I was so worried about square-pegging myself into a round-hole 'typical' social college life it was impossible to juggle all the other crap going on.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
So has the need to talk to people as part of your retail job made you more comfortable being social and less anxious? I did customer service jobs for a while and I thought it helped me a bit. Kind of like exposure therapy

You don't always have to have a college degree to get an office job depending on what type of job it is.

Yeah,sort of lol. Idk the customers are really rude/confrontational..well except the elderly people theyíre actually very very nice. It does help..just not really used to it. Especially when the customers get rude and yell at me I get teary eyed /: lol

Really? Cause when I look at job postings for that, it requires a degree. Or 1-2 yr experience.
I also wanna go to a trade school for some type of career that wonít take me long to finish but all the schools that I looked at.. are not accredited.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1114 View Post
Any desire to go back to school/get a degree? I think when you go back to school later on, it's a lot easier dealing with the anxiety of it. I finished my degree at age 30 (took like 4 years off and switched my major in the process). My second go-round, I had no desire to interact with anybody because everybody talked/acted so immature. So I got perfect grades my last few semesters I needed to graduate. When I first went, I was so worried about square-pegging myself into a round-hole 'typical' social college life it was impossible to juggle all the other crap going on.

I was thinking to go back to school but once Iím in my 30s cause I feel like maybe then I wouldnít care what people think,etc.. but on the other hand I feel like thatís too late and Iím just thinking about going to a trade school cause I know itís faster there & the class size isnít really much like maybe 20-25 students..as opposed to college. I actually hope once I reach my 30s my social anxiety wont be as bad as it is now..

Whatís your major?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
I was thinking to go back to school but once Iím in my 30s cause I feel like maybe then I wouldnít care what people think,etc.. but on the other hand I feel like thatís too late and Iím just thinking about going to a trade school cause I know itís faster there & the class size isnít really much like maybe 20-25 students..as opposed to college. I actually hope once I reach my 30s my social anxiety wont be as bad as it is now..

Whatís your major?
As long as you don't get in your 30's and then get worried that people will be judging you about you being in your 30's. I guess nobody knows you better than you though. Like will it be easier on you NOW or later? Obviously the sooner you get that crap done, the sooner you can like be going where you want to be going.

My degree was BBA in Information Technology Infrastructure. (Computer degree basically without the in-depth science stuff).

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Can relate - more-so to the work part. Every time I quit a job I feel like I basically fail my parents (I still live w them)....because everytime I get a new job theyíre so happy lol. But then I go for a day or 2 and I just quit. I wish I can do better when it comes to keeping a job. Hope it gets better for you!
I can see how you'd feel like that but you should try not to - I'm sure you're parents don't mind. Do they know about your anxiety problems?

I have a son your age - and if he had that problem I'd be more worried about him in general than anything else.

I also saw you mentioning about going back to school - that might help too. I didn't even start my Uni studies until my late 30's. You can do that at any age nowadays.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page