My parents keep arguing - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My parents keep arguing

My parents are always mad at each other. My mom's favorite passive aggressive techniques are slamming the door when she goes in or out, mumbling to herself or slamming things around. My dad will mumble things to himself that she doesn't hear but I do. If I confront him about it, he gets mad and says he didn't say anything and gives me a really angry stare. "Usually I hear things like "I'm so sick of this s-" or "dumb M-Fer".

And there is no communication. My grandma keeps asking when we're coming over for mother's day. My mom keeps mentioning this, and having a fit about not wanting to go, but my dad didn't say anything, but just mumbled. Then this morning I hear my mom all mad and it's because my dad asked if they were going today or tomorrow. No communication, they just decide they want to do something and the other one doesn't so has a fit.

Today was the food drive where the mail carrier picks up foods. I had a couple of things I wanted to put out, so last night I put them in a bag on the counter to put in the mail in the morning. Well, my dad gets up at about 6:30 as usual and later he says "I'm going to put this in the mail." Well, my mom was like no, it needs to be in another bag because it'll get ants in it and going on and on so my dad gets mad. Then later he asks me about it and I just say "just put it in the mail."

Plus every day since my dad retires he gets up at 6:30 and watches the news for 3 hours while rubbing his hands together. Then he walks around outside and checks the mail. He eats lunch and then takes a nap for about 2-3 hours. Then gets up and starts drinking beer at 3:30! My mom goes over this with me almost every night to complain about it.

I don't understand what their issue is. I'd be out of here if I could afford it, because it's so stressful. I've been in my room all morning, and really just want to go out and get away for the morning, but I don't know what they're doing.

I'm probably just riled because I didn't sleep well last night and kept having bad dreams.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:10 PM
bipolar

Being married to someone for a long time is strange mate - and it can be pretty hard. It's a shame your parents can't have a bit of marriage counselling or something. My wife and I did that for a while and it was great - all of a sudden I seemed to be able to understand what my wife was saying. (because the counsellor would re-word it for me every time she said anything) I wanted to take the counsellor home with us so she could do it all the time.

We separated a couple of times and live apart now - and we get on a lot better I think.

Sorry you're having to deal with all that - maybe try and get a place of your own soon, save you a lot of stress. You shouldn't have to be hearing all that stuff.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Well, it ended up working out alright. My dad and I ended up going to see my grandparents and my mom stayed home. So we were able to get out of the house for a few hours and my grandparents were happy we came by. My parents seemed to get on a bit better when we got back, well for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Being married to someone for a long time is strange mate - and it can be pretty hard. It's a shame your parents can't have a bit of marriage counselling or something. My wife and I did that for a while and it was great - all of a sudden I seemed to be able to understand what my wife was saying. (because the counsellor would re-word it for me every time she said anything) I wanted to take the counsellor home with us so she could do it all the time.

We separated a couple of times and live apart now - and we get on a lot better I think.

Sorry you're having to deal with all that - maybe try and get a place of your own soon, save you a lot of stress. You shouldn't have to be hearing all that stuff.
Thanks. It's nice to hear a perspective of someone who has a bit of experience from their point of view.

I'd really like to see a therapist or counselor myself, but it seems really expensive and I don't know my insurance will cover it.

Yeah, I'd love a place of my own. Right now I'm trying to save up for a house though. I know I should rent something first, but it's way cheaper paying my parents rent than getting an apartment, and I'm hoping I can save up for a house faster this way. Because that's what I've always wanted is my own house.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page