My life is screwed up - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My life is screwed up

I don't have any friends. Talking to NOBODY. Severe social anxiety and depression. Ugliness is why nobody wants me around. This is my first year in university and i'm about to drop out because of isolation. I dont go to lectures often because i feel lonely there. Seriously i don't know any of their names and everyone is living a social life so it makes me realize how ugly and weird i am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer View Post
I don't have any friends. Talking to NOBODY. Severe social anxiety and depression. Ugliness is why nobody wants me around. This is my first year in university and i'm about to drop out because of isolation. I dont go to lectures often because i feel lonely there. Seriously i don't know any of their names and everyone is living a social life so it makes me realize how ugly and weird i am.
Sorry for the long post. I typed what I felt so it's very long
I understand how difficult it is to be out there! But trust me if you manage to get through this you'll have better moments to look back in life. I too have felt like quiting in many instances and have done it a few times when I felt extremely nervous but I have managed to recover from those feelings later on in life so it's like seasonal which don't always continue to traumatize so try your best in talking and convincing yourself that you can get through this come up with some simple yet helpful techniques like sit in a corner of the lecture room and try and smile at the ones around you (not always yeah) be helpful like offering something or even be attentive in class so you can connect with your lecturer or even feel confident in some way. I know many things that we say are easier said than done.
Nobody has told you that you are ugly and suppose even if they had they don't have the right to judge anyone's looks nor their character. I believe everyone is beautiful in their own unique way. I too feel sometimes that that person looks prettier and why can't I look like that but then again I'd realize there can be only one person in this world with looks, talents, skills, thoughts and so on that would suit only them or in other words they have to be themselves and I have to be myself or me but I am trying to reject myself in not accepting the fact that I am the way I am, the way I should be.
Also remember social life is not everything so don't base your happiness on others having or seeming to have a better social life. If you want to talk to someone here I am feel free to vent it out or share your feelings with me.
Cheer up and God bless
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Ugliness is Life's Daily B*tchslap. It's a serious problem for me, too, but most people trivialize it.

Otoh, I don't know what you look like, and it's possible that you have BDD (body dysmorphic disorder). If you think ugliness is the reason for your social anxiety, you might want to talk to a therapist about it if you haven't. BDD can seriously **** people over and is often comorbid with SAD, MDD, OCD, substance abuse and other issues.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer View Post
I can only give you an advice : Force yourself. It's now or never. You don't want to look back and tell yourself "if only I tried harder". You should look for the "outcast" circle. I bet there is a little group of "outcasts". Try to make friends with them. That's basically what I did.

I also barely talked to others in university. The first year I would go to the lectures, but year after year I showed up more rarely. I somehow made it till the end. I do have a huge regret I will carry my whole life, that is not trying to start a romance with other female students.

I know it is hard. But if you really want to improve yourself, now is the time. Don't wait till you are in your 30's, because it will be too late.

Good luck

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
i get similar feelings all the time. i didnt make any friends at uni either. dropped out a few times. it didnt really make life any easier but yeah you've gotta do what you've gotta do. life isn't a straight line. whatever you decide is ok.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:03 PM
SAS Member

Sorry you’re feeling this way. Hang in there. I’ve been through similar during uni when my only friend dropped out. I was alone and I didn’t want to leave my room, let alone go to class. I missed some classes but forced myself to go. As hard as it is, Keep trying. It will be worth it in the end.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Why not try taking some online classes? I take online classes because of course I hate being in class. My university has options, so hopefully yours does too. I put off the classes that I can only take in person, and hope future me can handle those. Just know your not alone. This site is full of people like yourselves! At least here you have a place to feel seen and heard.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
Hey

University can be tough, but it's also a great opportunity to put yourself out there. Best case scenario, you get a close group of friends for life. Worst case scenario, you'll see none of them again and carry on in life, so there's nothing to lose! I'd say that going to lectures is actually a good way to meet people - people may not know who you are if you don't turn up! Also, get involved in societies - a lot of people make friends this way, and if you come regularly for a few weeks then you'll become part of the 'regulars' and get on with people naturally that way. Some people have also made great friends getting involved in volunteering - working with friends is one of the best ways to improve your social skills and confidence, so I'd definitely get involved. Your life is definitely not over - the next 50 years won't be defined by a couple of years at university, for sure! You've still got plenty of time to turn things around - best of luck!x

Much love <3

<3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page