My face scares folks - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed

My face scares folks

Hi.

Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this. I have on and off social anxiety. It stays for a year or two, and then goes. Then it might come back again after 2 or 3 years.

Anyways when I'm in a public situation and I'm feeling unbearably anxious and stressed (when I become too aware of everyone around me and it makes my entire body tense up), people look at me weird and they get terrified. Literally terrified! It's like all the horror and anxiety that I'm feeling inside is showing on my face, and I look like I'm about to blow up. And at first I had no idea that my face was doing this. How could I? It only become apparent to me when someone clicked a group photo and I saw myself in it. Then I started to become conscious of what my facial expression looked like, when I attempted to cure my social anxiety. I developed a poker face and deliberately relaxed all my facial muscles. When I did that, then people no longer freaked out and I got a positive reaction from everyone. I tried smiling more too.

However one problem is that you can smile too much and it comes off as fake/artificial. You then feel like you're a sociopath, because people can see through this. And you also feel like an absolute moron for grinning all the time. Where is the middle ground!?

Is this a common thing? How do you deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
However one problem is that you can smile too much and it comes off as fake/artificial. You then feel like you're a sociopath, because people can see through this. And you also feel like an absolute moron for grinning all the time. Where is the middle ground!?

Is this a common thing? How do you deal with it?
I think I do this now. Smile too much, especially on a first meet. Just need to be a bit more self aware, I guess. Hard to do when your mind is in several different places at once.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Generally, we tend to under-do things emotionally, especially if you're male, just from personal experience. So don't worry about smiling too much. I promise you won't look like a sociopath.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page