My Critical Reasoning Class Just Turned Into a Public Speaking Debate Class - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Critical Reasoning Class Just Turned Into a Public Speaking Debate Class

I have always disliked my Critical Reasoning class at college, mainly because the teacher is always all over the place with his teaching. He isn't a bad guy personality wise, just a bad teacher. I have been doing well in this class so far because it mostly dealt with finding faults in arguments and various other written assignments. The teacher announced a week ago that we would be partnered with two others in order to debate with another team in front of the class about controversial issues like abortion for the rest of the semester. WTF?! I didn't sign on for this BS. I watched the first two groups get into a lively debate last Thursday because everyone in the class is really social(of ******* course). The next six presenters, which could include me, are scheduled to debate this Thursday. The presentation is a huge part of my presentation grade, but I'm thinking about skipping anyway. I don't need this **** in my life. To make matters worse, I don't give a damn about most issues because I am an extremely passive and person. Abortion? I don't give a **** either way, as is the case with most issues. I hate when loud mouths get into arguments over **** like this in order to try and prove their point. How about this, I do whatever I want and you can do whatever you want? I'm pissed if you couldn't tell. The teacher took this class and completely flipped it on its *** for the next few months. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Permanently Banned

I'd just skip and take something else...unless it's required.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBlaze View Post
I'd just skip and take something else...unless it's required.
Sadly it is required. Also, I just have two months or so to go and it would be a shame to throw all that work away.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm not a spontaneous thinker about issues I'm not familiar with. I guess this is why I'm so worried. It takes me a moment to gather my thoughts in order to formulate an intelligent response, pretty much the exact opposite of a debate, where you're required to come up with instant answers and counterexamples.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

You are not really expected to come up with answers on the spot in a debate. You are supposed to do research on the topic before the debate. For example, if your debate is on abortion do some research on the topic and pick a side in the issue to defend. You must know all viewpoints on the issue to be a good debater. For example, you need to know your arguments and also what they will likely argue. That way you can counter their arguments and beat them. You can do it man!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Regretful still.

Have you tried talking to the professor about your concerns? Maybe he'll let you participate in another way, such as you doing the research for your team and the other two doing the actual debating? Or maybe he'll let you lead off your team with a written intro or something? Idk, I would just ask him about alternatives rather than just skip. If he's not a bad guy, maybe he'll be understanding?

50mg Sertraline has made me a decently capable person again. Meds...

Comics I'm reading:
Lazarus 2/2
Nowhere Men 4/4
Jupiter's Legacy 2/2
East of West 4/4
Saga 7/12

Huge Image and Brian K. Vaughan fan. Hmu with recs if you want
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM
SAS Member

Honestly, just go through with it. I've debated about dropping classes with presentations, but in the end I never did, and so far I have never been scarred.

Just practice your best, put yourself through hell, and it will be a HUGE relief when it's over.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page