Money doesnt buy happiness - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
What's this about UltraShy using his money to get a girlfriend? The last I remember, he wasn't successful in getting one even with his money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllmaticJJ View Post
Whats the story behind UltraShy and why was he banned?
I've got assumptions, not facts. Prior to US's banning, he reported that an unnamed SAS poster he referred to as his "hunny bunny" was moving out to be with him. Whether it ever actually happened or not, I can't say.

That's all...I shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place....just maybe a little bitter about it, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I would be happy with never having to work again. But I think that's because my psychological issues are limited to things that prevent me from doing things that HAVE TO BE DONE if you're born poor. Like you just have to work your butt off. You HAVE TO BE at least somewhat intelligent and creative. You cannot have serious learning/memory deficits for most of the educational pursuits that lead to good jobs. You cannot be unbelievably lazy and not driven.You cannot be late for work every other day because you didn't hear the alarm go off/slept through it.

I have ALL of these issues but I have no problem being content when all my basic needs are being met. Like I'm not the kind of person who needs love. Not really anyway. I mean friendship is nice but even that can be suffocating.
Clearly there is a wide spectrum of people with a range of economic, psycho social, mental, and familial issues around where the element of money and it's reflection on their level of happiness is all relative.

I'd love to stop working, too...that's my goal. I've worked my behind off for years and while well under the typical retirement age, I'm simply done racing against the other rats and I'm willing to plan a frugal future to either get a subsistence income or simply go until the money runs out. Hopefully, by then, I'll have lost cognitive awareness and won't care anymore. If not, there are plenty of ways to have an accident.

Happiness isn't my goal...I just want to be at some level of peace...because what I have now, isn't.
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

Probably goes a long way towards achieving happiness though. I wouldn't know too well, I've been mostly modest all my life. Money without any strings attached maybe, like no job and bills. If I had inherited a bunch of money or won the lottery, I would probably be sailing for a short while. 50k though, damn. I've had a few jobs making that range and it was some very basic living. Round these parts its a very entry level wage. A long way's away from a home or security.

If I had all that free time and a bunch of unencumbered millions, I'd be hiring personal trainers and psychiatrists and doctors and they'd be working their asses off on making me the six million dollar man in an attempt to mold myself into a person that could be happy, maybe. It would give me a lot of chances to work on myself. Or maybe I would have a cabin in the woods built and supplies flown in. The possibilities certainly increase with a nice check. It would have to be right now though. If I had grown up with it, I would take it for granted or have issues attached to it.

post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 PM
I'm not Dead...Yet

"Money doesn't buy happiness" is just a platitude.

Sure, if I had 6 million in the bank and I still couldn't connect socially like now, I wouldn't be "happy" but at least I wouldn't end up on the streets because of it.
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:43 AM
SAS Member

If you don't have decent food or clean water or plumbing or a roof over your head, money will give you a huge upgrade to your lifestyle. Anything past that it won't make you even the SLIGHTEST bit happy. The best way I can describe my situation is that I have been to the best sporting events and dated the most beautiful women so I have had a taste of the good life in different ways and none of it made me happy in the long run. Traveling and whatever you think you want to do will give you happiness in short bursts, but there is ALWAYS a price to pay. If you travel, be prepared for delays and sitting in cramped conditions. Even if you have the best accommodations, you still probably will be depressed a lot of the time. Rich people are the most miserable people by far. They are also the most cruel people in most cases. If you are not hungry and have a decent place to sleep obviously being rich sounds amazing, but what rich people do is so freaking idiotic. No matter how much money rich people have they still usually insist on working ridiculous hours like often 70 or more hours a week even though they could just retire. Rich people also tend to invest in like 40 or 50 different stocks or get suckered in to invest in a million little companies or schemes that scammers throw at them. It is like they want their hands in so many areas, just freaking SIT STILL and watch a game or drink a beer, those types seem to sleep very little and they become robots from working nonstop. Rich people also tend to have homes in so many areas, like for example very rich people tend to have homes in NY, London, L.A the Hamptons and Miami. If something goes wrong in any of those homes, they could end up getting sued for God knows what reason, asbestos was leaking from one of their rooms in a home they stay in one week a year. My point is if you have a million homes and investments, keeping tabs on them is so time consuming it is ridiculous. Most rich people also live paycheck to paycheck, so they simply are working getting paid high salaries but saving nothing and paying stupid high costs for their expensive lifestyle, traveling, dating women who expect to be treated well, restaurants, sports cars, homes, jewelry. The point is money changes people to the point that they no longer even are human, it is just this nonstop greed and looking for the next thrill. If anyone were to win the lottery in the United States, winning any more than 2 or 3 million dollars is usually disasterous. It is actually dangerous to win or even earn much more than that because when people get wind that you have that much money, you need high tech security systems because you then become a target. If a marriage is going well and someone comes upon money, it will almost always ruin the marriage because at least one of the 2 people will want to roll the dice and run off with money to live some fancy jet setting life style that ends up being unfulfilling, and they both end up broke alone and devastated. There are so many reasons to AVOID being rich i can't even scratch the surface. If you earn a ton of money that is better than inheriting it or whatever but rich people from the one's I have known are all petty, robotic, unfeeling, and most of all, lacking any human emotions. Poor people or working class still have their humanity and a gleam in their eyes. Rich people have seen it all and done it all and realize it did not make them happy and they became jaded and bored with life. If you can make 1 or 2 million dollars for example, and built it from scratch, then that will help you not only financially but give you pride, any more money than that will do nothing for you and in many ways you are better off just working a job paying scraps that you enjoy than anything else
post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Holy batman. Wall of text.
post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Holy batman. Wall of text.

"They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they are all the same."
post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:40 AM
On Life Support

My Mood: Dead
It sure doesnít, but it does make life a lot easier and gives you a lot more control over your life.

What would you rather be?

Option A: A social outcast working a low paying job with a bunch of asshats that hate your guts and make every working day miserable. On top of that you live in a ****hole where you get robbed every other day at your front door. And as much as you would like to move somewhere else you cannot afford to move.

To add pain to injury you are also struggling with your mental health and healthcare ainít cheap. Your debt increases proportionally to time. Homelessness is knocking at your door every month. You are stuck and you cannot escape.

Option B: You are a social outcast that also happens to be a millionaire. You are set for life and can live off dividends, interest, equity, investments, etc.... if the people in the world are giving you lemons you can tell them all to go **** themselves and you can retrieve yourself to your beautiful mansion/ fortress of solitude where you donít have to worry how youíre going to survive.

You lack love and affection. But you donít owe the world a damn thing. You can live the rest of your life in a bubble where society canít harm you.

Think of an animal in a zoo with a nice enclosure. Youíre not exactly happy as you lack freedom but on the other hand no predator is going to harm you and you get fed everyday no matter what. Oh and you also get free healthcare
post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 PM
We all wear a mask.

I just want enough money to never leave my place of dwelling.

Most of us leave the house because we have to not because we want to.

I don't need a big house, I don't need to thrust myself into the throes of rampant materialism.

All I want is to have enough money to never see another human again if I should choose so.

That is my personal happiness.

We haven't lived in anything remotely close to "real" since the turn of the century.
post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Would be so much funner to just volunteer, take interesting classes (not boring useful ones), pursue hobbies, and travel. Work is very boring and repetitive and being stuck in a noisy office 40 hours a week is awful. Waking up at 9am goes against my nature and I'm chronically sleep deprived.

But it is true that money won't necessarily get you friends or a romantic partner. So you can certainly be lonely and rich. You can afford excellent medical care if you are rich but doctors can only do so much. Can still be in poor health even if you are rich.

Work really sucks the life out of me. Like I should be going to meetups to make friends but I'm so tired. Like hanging out with people I already know I could handle but socializing with strangers is tough for me. So here I am on SAS once again on a Friday night.
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
True, actually can add to issues.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:02 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I'm happy to share the burden of wealth with anyone laboring under its terrible dominion. Send a PM my way and I will tell you how to dispose of this odious and perfidious pest. Satisfaction guaranteed. Mine anyway.

Quote:
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:10 AM
SAS Member

I know for a fact if I had more money I wouldn't be happy.

For one if I had say $5 million in the bank, I would have family vultures hounding me for more money. It would create a rift in my family, make my relationships artificial and I would have to find ways to secure that wealth over the years and try not to blow it all on stupid stuff or bad investments.

The old adage will always reign true:

"'Mo Money 'mo problems"

100% .

Facts.

"Get some therapy"
post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Aly
Social outcast

Ya I agree. I have a lot of money saved up for someone my age (13k) because I know how to save up and budget. Most people my age are broke college students. I have money to travel but no one to travel with.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Ya I agree. I have a lot of money saved up for someone my age (13k) because I know how to save up and budget. Most people my age are broke college students. I have money to travel but no one to travel with.
Yup...funds without the fun is the problem.
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 10:31 AM
GIT

Quote:
. I have money to travel but no one to travel with.
Same. I'd be out of here tonight if I had someone to travel with.

Just another wasted summer on my own.
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Yep

I think we can look at Hollywood stars and pretty much have this confirmed instantly.

Blanket statements aside, having money doesn't mean you're living well.

Also, having financial problems is different from simply living comfortably.

ďThough I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:12 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I just started seeing someone this week but largely I have been going to like 98% of events alone, and in the last 6 years i have probably been to 300 or more pro sports games alone, over 100 movies alone and concerts. This week I have 2 concerts alone 2 nights in a row and a yankee game alone. I am actually going to yankees 5 nights in a row the end of this month. My point is, whatever you want to do, most likely you will never find anyone who wants to do all the same things, so you may as well go alone because once you meet someone they will have very different ideas of what they want to do or experience. It sucks but people have specific taste. I would not travel far and just do whatever you can closeby or relatively close
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:16 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsays View Post
I know for a fact if I had more money I wouldn't be happy.

For one if I had say $5 million in the bank, I would have family vultures hounding me for more money. It would create a rift in my family, make my relationships artificial and I would have to find ways to secure that wealth over the years and try not to blow it all on stupid stuff or bad investments.

The old adage will always reign true:

"'Mo Money 'mo problems"

100% .

Facts.
I agree totally. I think anything over $1 million or $2 million is playing with fire. For the most part rich people can just put the money in the bank and be relatively safe or just invest in a property. But they have so much time and get antsy and start investing in idiotic things like gas stations and motel rooms or dumb products that are pitched by scammers. These people also can't live simply. With enough money they start getting ideas like they want to ride a hot air balloon across the Atlantic or climb mount everest, my point is people with money can't just live simply, they end up investing or blowing the money on dumb stuff
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I would be happy with never having to work again. But I think that's because my psychological issues are limited to things that prevent me from doing things that HAVE TO BE DONE if you're born poor. Like you just have to work your butt off. You HAVE TO BE at least somewhat intelligent and creative. You cannot have serious learning/memory deficits for most of the educational pursuits that lead to good jobs. You cannot be unbelievably lazy and not driven.You cannot be late for work every other day because you didn't hear the alarm go off/slept through it.

I mean, learning things isn't hard if you're smart and have a good memory (I'm not/don't). I can't do 9th grade math. I never could. Keeping a job isn't hard if you can just just naturally wake up on time and keep a perfect schedule/routine every day. I can't do this when I try (hard).

I have ALL of these issues but I have no problem being content when all my basic needs are being met. Like I'm not the kind of person who needs love. Not really anyway. I mean friendship is nice but even that can be suffocating.
I think I am like you in that I can't work a 9-5 job and focus and be up at 8Am and shave and jump out of bed and take orders from a boss. I created my own business but my point is you really can't not work and be happy unless you fill your day up with productive things. I assume if you ran and worked out a lot that would be a distraction. There are things you can probably do but it would not be a normal routine. My point is you have to really have a reason for getting up in the morning on some level so you like trick your mind into thinking you are productive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page