Money doesnt buy happiness - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Money doesnt buy happiness

Money doesn't buy happiness. I had my dream job and made over $50k a year but I still wasn't happy when I didn't have friends or a gf. There have been numerous studies done that show that having a job you love (even if it doesn't pay well) and having good relationships with friends, family, and a significant other are the keys to being happy in life. A poster from this site who has severe SA and struggles to connect with people once said

"What a crock of s*it!

I was just calculating my net worth, and to my surprise, I found that it now tops $2.9 million.

If anybody thinks money buys happiness, they're living in a fictional fantasy land. Why am I not happy if all it takes is money?

Any of you guys have more money then me?

Despite what my critics will think, I'm in no way bragging and I don't judge people for having financial difficulties. Patty, my dearest friend, is broke, but I still very much adore her (and, no, it's not sexual in any way).

If one day you get money, you too will see that not a damn thing changes. Consider Howard Hughes. Hughes was the wealthiest man of his era, worth something like $900M, yet he was bats*it crazy, suffering from a terrible case of OCD (and likely other problems). He spent the final 20 years of his life in total seclusion, such that authorities had difficulty just IDing the body. He died with a bunch of broken needles in his arms, from where he shot codeine. He was VERY rich and still VERY mentally ill."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
"But I'm not good at anything!" Well, I have good news -- throw enough hours of repetition at it and you can get sort of good at anything.

Don't like the prospect of pouring all of that time into a skill? The good news is that the sheer act of practicing will help you come out of your shell. People quit because it takes too long to see results, because they can't figure out that the process is the result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 PM
SAS Member

When most of my problems and unhappiness is because I don't have the finances for what i need in my day to day life I beg to differ.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
Depends on how you find happiness. Give me grub, good internet and a long time to enjoy them without interruption, and I'm downright euphoric. Money would solve all my short and mid-term problems and give me the means to be happy.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM
SAS Member

Depends on the person, and what makes them happy in life.

"They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they are all the same."
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:46 PM
GrandCustodian of Synosis

Just know what to buy that directly alters your brain and is not something external because you can't get happiness from external things. This day in age there are nootropics and such you can buy to increase your well-being modestly. It's just that no one knows with the buy so money isn't going to buy more well being. But even if they do know the improvement is modest
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:52 PM
GIT

Money would make me a lot happier. I wouldn't have the shame of being long term unemployed and not having my own place to deal with, plus I could afford to travel a lot. I would put myself out their much more if I didn't have to worry about people thinking I was a bum.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Time's Arrow

Language: American English, Russian
Eh, what andretti said. Having a few bands to blow on nothing would make me feel a whoooole lot better.

This is not a very good quote. Knew that even back when I agreed with it.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:02 PM
SAS Member

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:03 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
If you are happy, can money make you happier?
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
I thought you were permabanned.
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

While money doesn't directly make you happy, it can boost your confidence, reduce worry, and also open up opportunities to make friends and find a significant other.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:12 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
I thought you were permabanned.
Is that UltraShy?

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
That's the only high net worth person I know with a friend named Patty.

Or an amazing coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
Is that UltraShy?
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM
GIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
While money doesn't directly make you happy, it can boost your confidence, reduce worry, and also open up opportunities to make friends and find a significant other.
This!

I feel like I'm unemployable, so just to have my own rented studio flat in the city, and the equivalent of a full time minimum wage job, would make a world of difference. Would love to be able to tell people I have my own space and just enough to retire.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Geese

Location: The place where everything is trying to kill you (Australia)
My Mood: Relaxed
If agree but only after the point where you're living comfortably enough to not be struggling to pay bills and eat.

Your 100% in anything, even if you're not the best at it, is a success.
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Post Rating: Positive

Language: English, Spanish
If you're talking about wealthy celebrities that hang themselves in old age because they are sad then yea I agree. But a moderate salary increase for people earning just enough to survive would make a great difference, and probably would make them happy. The world is a different experience when you don't have to worry about making your car or rent payment every month.
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 03:50 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Money buys happiness all the time. What it doesn't do is solve every single problem you have.

"Oh, I have loads of money but it didn't solve all my problems so having a roof over my head, heat in the winter, food in my cupboards, clean clothes, medical coverage, transportation, freedom from the fear of being homeless, and an endless supply of entertainment didn't change my life at all." What an enormous crock of self-serving horse****.

Money allows you to solve the problems that money can solve. Which means that you have more time to focus on the problems that money does not solve. Which means not only does money solve many problems, but it makes it more likely that you will solve the problems that money can't solve.

People without money have all those same problems plus all the problems that money could solve for them and they're less likely to solve those other problems because they have to spend all their time scrambling for money.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePea View Post
If agree but only after the point where you're living comfortably enough to not be struggling to pay bills and eat.
I think they often find something similar when examining this:

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...019628,00.html

Quote:
The lower a person's annual income falls below that benchmark, the unhappier he or she feels. But no matter how much more than $75,000 people make, they don't report any greater degree of happiness.
I imagine as you start moving well past 75k+ a year you'll start noticing a decline in happiness for some people because they overwork to get those sums (obviously a small minority of people are essentially wired to work 24/7 to the point they don't have much of a life, and can't handle not doing so even if they can afford not to, but the people who aren't.)

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Thanks, Cpt. Obvious.

Bleh.
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:11 PM
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Money buys happiness all the time. What it doesn't do is solve every single problem you have.

"Oh, I have loads of money but it didn't solve all my problems so having a roof over my head, heat in the winter, food in my cupboards, clean clothes, medical coverage, transportation, freedom from the fear of being homeless, and an endless supply of entertainment didn't change my life at all." What an enormous crock of self-serving horse****.

Money allows you to solve the problems that money can solve. Which means that you have more time to focus on the problems that money does not solve. Which means not only does money solve many problems, but it makes it more likely that you will solve the problems that money can't solve.

People without money have all those same problems plus all the problems that money could solve for them and they're less likely to solve those other problems because they have to spend all their time scrambling for money.
Agreed, but i might be biased since ur my religion and all.

Bleh.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page