Mom forcing me to start driving - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

So i did it and it was scary as hell and yet not what i expected, it actually pissed me off the fact that basically i'm expected to pay so much attention to certain things that most times i'm not even looking straight in front of me and can't actually pay attention to what other cars are doing. I'm so worried about doing the right thing like signaling and checking my mirrors even when it's obviously not needed. I really don't want to take the test now. I have two more lessons on wednesday then friday and i'd really rather not do it, i feel out of my body when driving. Not to mention i made a big mistake and accidentally went over the curb of the median with the back tires while doing a u-turn because i didn't pull out far enough first, but thankfully only did that once. I honestly would rather give up, somehow it's not as scary as i thought but i just hate having that control in my hands. I think my main problem going in was i was so worried about the instructor, how she would act and talk and what she would think of me, obviously that's the problem with people with SA i generally do this, worry about the less important things.

Goals:

Graduate High School [X]
Take driving lessons 1[X] 2 [X] 3[X]
Get drivers license [X]
Lose 10 pounds [ ]
Get a job [ ]
Enroll in college [ ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonnn View Post
Dude it's driving. lol

Relax hahaha
Yes driving-the cause of most deaths in this country, it's a little intimidating.

Goals:

Graduate High School [X]
Get drivers license [X]
Lose 10 pounds [ ]
Get a job [ ]
Enroll in college [ ]
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
SAS Member

Driving is the only place where my anxiety is nonexistent. And it's funny I'm a pretty quiet and reserved person. Behind the wheel I'm an aggressive driver and have no problem flipping the bird to people, complete opposite of how I am out of the car. Behind the wheel is the only place where I am a 100 % confident in my ability.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post
Yes driving-the cause of most deaths in this country, it's a little intimidating.
The leading cause of death in your country is Tobacco. 440,000 people die each year roughly.

33,000 people died in 2009 from car-related incidents, whereas 30,000 people died from guns and something like 80% of those were from handguns which I think are legal to carry around in your country.

Cars are generally safe. The fraction of people who died from car-related incidents last year was 0.000110737.

Hope is patiently waiting expectantly for the intangible to become reality.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
The leading cause of death in your country is Tobacco. 440,000 people die each year roughly.

33,000 people died in 2009 from car-related incidents, whereas 30,000 people died from guns and something like 80% of those were from handguns which I think are legal to carry around in your country.

Cars are generally safe. The fraction of people who died from car-related incidents last year was 0.000110737.
You obviously didn't understand i was talking about non-disease related deaths, and it's never been proven that tobacco actually causes those deaths and even if it was your numbers are completely off. Heart disease is actually the number one cause of death, but diseases will always cause more deaths than anything else. Don't talk about my country if you don't live in it and don't know it. It's not legal to carry around handguns without a special permit. There's one death every 13 minutes from a car accident, my whole point was to the other person, that people have a right to be scared.

Goals:

Graduate High School [X]
Get drivers license [X]
Lose 10 pounds [ ]
Get a job [ ]
Enroll in college [ ]
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
You obviously didn't understand i was talking about non-disease related deaths, and it's never been proven that tobacco actually causes those deaths and even if it was your numbers are completely off. Heart disease is actually the number one cause of death, but diseases will always cause more deaths than anything else. Don't talk about my country if you don't live in it and don't know it. It's not legal to carry around handguns without a special permit. There's one death every 13 minutes from a car accident, my whole point was to the other person, that people have a right to be scared.
Of course I didn't know you were talking about non-disease deaths - you never mentioned it.

Anyway, my numbers aren't 'completely off'.
Here's the sources:
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/...4371272601127/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf
http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevgui...5/m0023655.asp
Quote:
From 1968 through 1991, the number of firearm-related deaths exceeded the number of motor-vehicle crash-related deaths every year in the District of Columbia and for 17 of the 24 years in Alaska
Just because I'm not from your country doesn't mean I don't know how to use the Internet..

(i didn't mean to cause a disagreement I'm just posting what's fact)

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
Of course I didn't know you were talking about non-disease deaths - you never mentioned it.

Anyway, my numbers aren't 'completely off'.
Here's the sources:
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/...4371272601127/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_10.pdf
http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevgui...5/m0023655.asp

Just because I'm not from your country doesn't mean I don't know how to use the Internet..

(i didn't mean to cause a disagreement I'm just posting what's fact)
Honestly i don't think either of us should believe any of these statistics, many of them contradict each other, i've seen other ones too that claim other causes of deaths. And i certainly don't believe the one about tobacco when it's actually never even been proven that it directly causes any deaths, seems like some of these are the equivalent of the anti-drug companies pushing the "weed causes you to lose brain cells" and blah blah crap to try to scare us.

Goals:

Graduate High School [X]
Get drivers license [X]
Lose 10 pounds [ ]
Get a job [ ]
Enroll in college [ ]
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
SAS Member

Don't worry I'm a 4-year smoker myself so I disagree with the tobacco ones as well.
As for the gun deaths, it also includes suicides and self-defense deaths so it's no surprise that it's 30k.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My parents forced me to do this and it is one of the best things that they ever did. The freedom of being alone in the vehicle is so nice!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I would love if we had to do that here lol maybe i'll just get a bumper sticker that says something about it. Today is the day i start, i already feel like i'm going to have a panic attack.
Hi!
I know his reply is 9 years later but Iíd like to know how you are doing with driving. Did it go well? Are you fully confident know with driving? Iím 20 and am currently in this situation you had LONG ago 😂 I know itís tough at first... but how long did it take you to finally feel comfortable?
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:45 AM
SAS Member

I feel the same way. I have never drove a car. I am terrified to. I am sure you will be fine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page