"Just Kidding" - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

"Just Kidding"

So why do people sometimes say this after a mean or crude remark?

play·ful
/ˈplāfəl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
fond of games and amusement; lighthearted.
"a playful tomboy who loves to dress up"
synonyms: frisky, jolly, fun-loving, lively, full of fun, high-spirited, spirited, in high spirits, exuberant, perky, skittish, coltish, kittenish; More

...... Is it just to cover their slip-up or impulsive ways? For example things that have been said to me in the past, prior to saying just kidding ( I know context matters in this situation but some things are just straight up weird)

"I can't take you seriously, you're just Jeff"
"Dumbass" (from a supervisor who i was never close with, after asking what the codes were to a certain product at work)
"You're disgusting" ( a co-worker said this out of nowhere)
"You never fight back, it's so easy to insult you"

another one is they will pretend to punch me in the face, like an air-punch. This has happened to me several times.. Maybe i just have a punchable face or something. Humans are very visual creatures.

I'm starting to feel I'm just surviving around animals. People do pick on others whom they see as weak or inferior it seems.. Or they see a stoic person and feel insecure around them or something.. Not that I am stoic, i give off that vibe, but am a neurotic mess under the surface most of the time...

I am told that it is my responsibility to stick up for myself, and to not let it keep happening. However, that is a never-ending battle, which would require Gandalf on my side.. Most I come across seems to be so desperate and passive aggressive, if not straight-out aggressive.. Sure, call it cognitive dissonance or w.e but you aren't fooling me with you armchair psychology, or because you have limited knowledge that was acquired through college.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForestWasDark View Post
So why do people sometimes say this after a mean or crude remark?
To inform that it was in joking way as comedy has many sides to it from sarcastic to normal comedy. Sometimes sarcastic comedy can be taken the wrong way.

Quote:
...... Is it just to cover their slip-up or impulsive ways?
Guys are guys and joke around like that with sarcastic comedy. Just don't react to it.

Or give it back in a joking way. It eventually just fades out as the jokes lose their funniness.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
To inform that it was in joking way as comedy has many sides to it from sarcastic to normal comedy. Sometimes sarcastic comedy can be taken the wrong way.

Guys are guys and joke around like that with sarcastic comedy. Just don't react to it.

Or give it back in a joking way. It eventually just fades out as the jokes lose their funniness.
maybe its a low frequency being thing, never sensed that type of humor. It's equivalent to say no offence. ex) No offence, but i want to punch you

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:05 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
It's hard to say without being there but it sounds like they're being dicks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
maybe its a low frequency being thing, never sensed that type of humor.
Some don't find sarcastic comedy funny. Hard getting used to it, responding if used to normal comedy.

Could just turn around, point to rear when they say it, and say jokes.

Something they are not expecting.

You have to watch how others joke with them to get where the limit is as far as joking goes.

Above interview is guying around Australian style and just get used to it over time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
Some don't find sarcastic comedy funny. Hard getting used to it, responding if used to normal comedy.

Could just turn around, point to rear when they say it, and say jokes.

Something they are not expecting.

You have to watch how others joke with them to get where the limit is as far as joking goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgGSWGdSfnM

Above interview is guying around Australian style and just get used to it over time.
hahah.. I always honour people who can F with the press with ease. Excluding politicians of course.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page