Its so expensive living alone - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy

Its so expensive living alone

I'm at the stage where I'm planning and budgeting for when I move out and it angers me how expensive it is just to survive on your own if you weren't lucky enough to marry.

Unless you live in Alabama or Ohio, a decent 1 bedroom apartment in an area that isn't drug or roach infested is about 1k w/o utilities--
with the job I'll have after I finish I know I'll have enough but i'll kinda be scraping by.

If you're alone you need about 3k a month to live comfortably after all the bills are paid. Its just unbarely annoying..

For those like me, single with no other income support-- can I get a list of ways you all cut corners so that you all are able to live on your own and save.

Thanx

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 PM
loser

I'm really jealous of you! I unfortunately can't help you out :-(

Good luck anyway!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
If you don't mind sharing, how are you determining that?

I recently moved out of a shared apartment to my own apartment. I haven't lived here long enough to know how much I'm going to be spending each month, but I have a rough idea because most of my major costs are fixed (car insurance, cell phone plan, internet, pet health insurance, etc). The only thing I'm not sure about is how much I'll be spending on water and electricity.

My budget comes in at around $2500 per month for routine spending. I opted for the cheapest internet plan I could get and bought my own router, and I also have a reasonably cheap cell phone plan ($40 per month, though I'm sure I could pay less). I also moved closer to work so I'll be spending less on gas.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:34 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Aren't you the one that is having a kid with no help from the dad? Wait till you find out how much daycare costs.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:01 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
dont live alone if you want to live cheaply.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Aren't you the one that is having a kid with no help from the dad? Wait till you find out how much daycare costs.
Very rude. Kinda b-itchy honestly. I have a name, at the very least a username. And I know how much childcare costs-- even without a kid
It still costs a pretty penny to live on a single income.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
If you don't mind sharing, how are you determining that?

By creating a budget.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
I'm really jealous of you! I unfortunately can't help you out :-(

Good luck anyway!
Why?

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
quoted everyone but me. i'm furious.

don't you have trailer parks in US? surely that is cheap.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:11 PM
formerly Shawn81

Spent years fixing my credit to get a mortgage with a low payment. It took some time. Renting is rough everywhere, even in a cheaper area.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:22 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
By creating a budget.
I completely understand not wanting to share your calculations on a public forum. I hope my tips helped. Best of luck!

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:47 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Oh wow here you can get a nice apartment for like $600. Hmm try to go cheaper with groceries, apply for assistance if you must, etc. Having friends/church family would be huge here.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:11 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Quote:
Unless you live in Alabama or Ohio, a decent 1 bedroom apartment in an area that isn't drug or roach infested is about 1k w/o utilities--
There are lots of apartments around $600/mo here in beautiful California, such as mine, and neither a roach nor a drug has ever snuck into my apartment. Whether my neighbors do drugs is of course none of my business and I have no idea. I'm sure there's plenty of affordable apartments in most states.

Look for low income housing that requires your income to be some percentage below the regional median: https://affordablehousingonline.com/...n-8-apartments
Depends on your area, but waitlists in many places are short or non-existent, and they're inspected by the government so they can't get away with being as maintenance-averse as more expensive places sometimes are.

Beyond rent, I spend about $400 a month. $90 of that is utilities (internet, propane and electricity), $100 is car-related, $120 is groceries.

If you make less than ~$27,000 in the USA you can get free lifeline phone service. Less than ~$16K gets you free health insurance.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:51 AM
Pandora’s Birthright

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
quoted everyone but me. i'm furious.

don't you have trailer parks in US? surely that is cheap.
Probably best chance for me. Rent in this area is $600/month for a trailer.

Some people will always need help. That doesn’t mean they’re not worth helping
– Meera Reed
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:09 PM
loser

Quote:
Why?
Because you are actually going to live on your own. I don' t have such perspectives at the moment. I really need it though.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phel View Post
Probably best chance for me. Rent in this area is $600/month for a trailer.
And then you will get a boyfriend from Thailand and become nervous Phel
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Quote:
There are lots of apartments around $600/mo here in beautiful California, such as mine, and neither a roach nor a drug has ever snuck into my apartment. Whether my neighbors do drugs is of course none of my business and I have no idea. I'm sure there's plenty of affordable apartments in most states.

Look for low income housing that requires your income to be some percentage below the regional median: https://affordablehousingonline.com/...n-8-apartments
Depends on your area, but waitlists in many places are short or non-existent, and they're inspected by the government so they can't get away with being as maintenance-averse as more expensive places sometimes are.

Beyond rent, I spend about $400 a month. $90 of that is utilities (internet, propane and electricity), $100 is car-related, $120 is groceries.

If you make less than ~$27,000 in the USA you can get free lifeline phone service. Less than ~$16K gets you free health insurance.
Where i live 600 isnt good. Ive read reviews of folks being shot and killed, infact where i stay now someone was on the news a few years ago for gang related violence in which 2 people died. Now that i have a kid..safety is so important. Section 8 takes forever.. Its wild. But ill look into the free life line phone service.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Oh wow here you can get a nice apartment for like $600. Hmm try to go cheaper with groceries, apply for assistance if you must, etc. Having friends/church family would be huge here.
I dont have friends nor church family. After church everyone gets in their cliques and head home...ahome...and the friends i did make. Theyre tryna keep theyre head above water and work daily or struggling just the same.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
Quote:
By creating a budget.
I completely understand not wanting to share your calculations on a public forum. I hope my tips helped. Best of luck!
I was jusy being lazy plus. My calculations arent completely concrete as
Im still in this program, almost done though, so i dont know how much. Ill be making for sure... But i do know i would need to make 2k money to live comfortably anf not live paycheck to paycheck.

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:54 PM
SAS Member

It was much worse for me living with a partner. He wanted expensive furniture, and we fought a lot which meant motel stays for me many weeks at a time (don't ask though, it was a toxic relationship). I was roped into booking trips that went to waste when we fought, and didn't make the travels. Financially it was a huge burden.

I'm currently living in a bedroom+ensuite from my brother for $1000 a month, which is a total deal for the market where we live... Though obviously I get a family discount. It's a very nice condo and my brother has a pleasant temperament.

My tips to save money living alone aren't good tips. Just work more and go out less, have cheap hobbies, don't travel or eat out so much. It's a tradeoff I guess. I'm fortunately still young and very mobile (unmarried, no dependents, no debts) so I don't want to squander my freedom pinching pennies, only to have money when I'm old and ready to croak.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page