It's making me cry.... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's making me cry....

Hello guys, I dont know if anyone else on this forum does this but I maladaptive daydream. The best way I can describe maladaptive daydreaming is when you create scenarios or stories in your head and have genuine emotions behind them as if they happened for real. My maladaptive daydreams make me cry and I hate it. I know they are not real but they make me cry and put me in a depressed mood. I asked my councilors if this was normal and all of them seemed to not have any issues with. Also in my stories, there are characters and sometimes I pretend to be those characters and and move my lips as if those characters are talking. It makes me look like I'm talking to myself. I try to stop but it just comes out of nowhere....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:32 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitegalaxycat View Post
Hello guys, I dont know if anyone else on this forum does this but I maladaptive daydream. The best way I can describe maladaptive daydreaming is when you create scenarios or stories in your head and have genuine emotions behind them as if they happened for real. My maladaptive daydreams make me cry and I hate it. I know they are not real but they make me cry and put me in a depressed mood. I asked my councilors if this was normal and all of them seemed to not have any issues with. Also in my stories, there are characters and sometimes I pretend to be those characters and and move my lips as if those characters are talking. It makes me look like I'm talking to myself. I try to stop but it just comes out of nowhere....
My first idea is to wonder if you could somehow translate your daydreaming into writing. In other words, maybe you can use what's going on as a creative outlet, to be a catharsis for you. I've not heard of maladaptive daydreaming, and have no idea if it responds to medication, so you could ask a doc.

I do something which your post reminds me of: I sometimes carry on conversations with people I know as if they are present when they're not. I've always assumed its genesis is loneliness and having no one around to talk to. It seems to be a kind of therapy, self-counsel as I'm able to tell my friends what I need to talk about. I think it's an emotional and spiritual exercise. But I can control it.

I hope you find a good answer here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maladaptive_daydreaming
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
is that a sort of dissociation ? for the last year or so i've been a compulsive liar about the most trivial things. it just comes out and it's like I have no control over it. it does feel tied in to this narrative/dream I have about reality. like i'm not part of what other people are a part of and i've created this artificial daydream that is now my reality to spare my self as much pain as possible. I even attach special significance to certain things people do which seems to support "my'' reality. like i'm some hero who hasn't reached his potential yet and all the **** that happens in my life is just my training to learn about the ugly side of life, loneliness, pain, etc., but one day i'll "wake up" and become my real self, the opposite of what I am now: powerful, confident, in control,fearless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page