Is working 6 days a week/53 hrs too much? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
LadyApathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Gender: Female
Age: 30
Posts: 1,080

Is working 6 days a week/53 hrs too much?


So, Iíve been working his new job and overtime is mandatory. I have to work Monday through Saturday/53 hours a week. Iím so tired all the time and itís making even more depressed than I already am. Am I just being lazy or is this too much? Despite working so many hours Iím only making like $750 every two weeks which is not enough to pay for all my bills but luckily my husband works too but he makes even less than I do, a lot less and we have a lot of expenses and both of us suffer from SA.So we always try to get jobs that donít require any type of customer service but itís hard to find good jobs for introverts with SA. I just feel like all jobs suck the life out of you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth."


"Life is a temporary journey we just have to deal with"
LadyApathy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Someplace sofaking awesome
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,934
My Mood: Lonely
Yes...over 6 days is too much. 5 days, yeah, I can see that.

I assume you're paid for this mandatory overtime?
SofaKing is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Can lift the hammer.
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,869
My Mood: Angelic
Is that $750 after tax ? Either way I don't think that's even minimum wage, like $7/hr, suppose it depends where you live though, I work around 50 hours over 5 days & sometimes the odd Saturday or extra overtime if I really have too, 35 to 40 hours a week is plenty though I'm usually knackered after that.
blue2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Ai
404 Not Found
 
Ai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: the hypergamous cock carousel
Age: 30
Posts: 2,861
The energy, drive, and desire to work long hours really depends on the person, I think. And not being one of those kinds of people doesn't make you lazy.

For me, that would absolutely be too much. And for you too, by the sounds of it.

Either way, it's far too much for that kind of pay, though... Yeesh. That's just brutal.
Ai is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,778
I wouldn't do it personally, especially for so little pay. I need a balance of work and time off to maintain my sanity. 30-40 hours a week is all I want. Some people live to work and do fine, I'm just not one of those people. My dad worked seven days a week, twelve hours a day his whole life. Unless you just really love your job it doesn't seem like much of a life.
Posted via Mobile Device
JH1983 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Language: English
Gender: Female
Posts: 708
My Mood: Breezy
53. Is alot esp for 750 ery 2 wks
Reverie101 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 PM
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 57,984
My Mood: Inspired
I didn't know you were married? The money is ok I would make less working 6 days at my job. But I wouldn't do unless I had to for the family. If both yall money isn't enough maybe cut back on things? Bills can't be that much for 2 incomes to not cover can it?

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 PM
A Person
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Essex, UK
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,948
My Mood: Worried
dang that would kill me. Must you really work all those hours? Can you financially afford not to? Or perhaps find a new job?


Cool Ice Dude55 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
 
Evo1114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Gender: Male
Age: 41
Posts: 3,946
My Mood: Lurking
It's different for everybody, but sounds like FOR YOU, it probably is too much. It doesn't sound like the job pays very well at all, so always keep your eyes open for something else out there...don't mean this to sound like I'm being harsh or whatever, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that pays $750 biweekly just working standard 40 hour weeks.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
Evo1114 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 PM
SAS Member
 
komorikun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: large herd
Language: 英語と日本語
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,046
I hope you are paid hourly and not salary. Are you making minimum wage?

Should be getting paid time and a half if you go over 40 hours in one week. That means if your normal hourly rate is $10 you get $15 per hour. There are many laws about this.

So an average week for you (53 hours) before taxes, FICA, medicare:

40 hours X $10= $400
13 hours X $15= $195

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm
komorikun is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 33,306
My Mood: Relaxed
Yeah. IMO, it's the number of days rather than the number of hours. It gets to be too much when it's every damn day and you only get one or two days off (if that) a week. At that point you're just living to work. That's my definition of slavery. Ideally, a work week should be 4 days or less. Of course that's not going to happen. But that's how it should be. I'd rather work 4 12 hour days than 6 8 hour days.

It's especially irritating when you work for someone who just schedules you for their convenience and will give you one day off and 2 days on and so forth. 1 day off is just not enough.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:51 PM
I Am Second
 
Kevin001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA ~ Louisiana
Language: American
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 57,984
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo1114 View Post
It's different for everybody, but sounds like FOR YOU, it probably is too much. It doesn't sound like the job pays very well at all, so always keep your eyes open for something else out there...don't mean this to sound like I'm being harsh or whatever, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that pays $750 biweekly just working standard 40 hour weeks.
$750 is a considered a lot here.....minimum wage is $7.50 .

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
Kevin001 is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:24 PM
😒🤡
 
PurplePeopleEater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fagonard
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Yeah. IMO, it's the number of days rather than the number of hours. It gets to be too much when it's every damn day and you only get one or two days off (if that) a week. At that point you're just living to work. That's my definition of slavery. Ideally, a work week should be 4 days or less. Of course that's not going to happen. But that's how it should be. I'd rather work 4 12 hour days than 6 8 hour days.

It's especially irritating when you work for someone who just schedules you for their convenience and will give you one day off and 2 days on and so forth. 1 day off is just not enough.
Well said. They like to treat people like slaves and it is completely unjust.

I like to have my free time, too. And I have other things I have to do like errands, cooking, etc. 53 hours would be too much for anybody if they have things to get done at home. For me, 32 hours to 35 hours at most is plenty.
PurplePeopleEater is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 PM
SAS Member
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16,584
You get 750 for 2 weeks? That's a fraction over one weeks minimum wage here.

How do they expect people to live on that sort of money?
harrison is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
You get 750 for 2 weeks? That's a fraction over one weeks minimum wage here.
Take exchange rate into account.

That is 1090 or 545 per week.

545 per week x 52 work weeks = 28,340.

Like minimum wage downunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
How do they expect people to live on that sort of money?
Stuff is cheaper in the US, so offsets that.

Like we pay more downunder for the same stuff they do.

Like something 50 US there will be like 150 AUS here. So income is higher downunder to take that into account.

In addition, they have more choice on the shelves as well.
Mondo_Fernando is offline  
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 PM
SAS Member
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
Take exchange rate into account.

That is 1090 or 545 per week.

545 per week x 52 work weeks = 28,340.

Like minimum wage downunder.



Stuff is cheaper in the US, so offsets that.

Like we pay more downunder for the same stuff they do.

Like something 50 US there will be like 150 AUS here. So income is higher downunder to take that into account.

In addition, they have more choice on the shelves as well.
Oh, okay mate - you're better at working this stuff out than me.

Would be pretty rough trying to live on the minimum wage here too tbh.
harrison is offline  
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 PM
SAS Member
 
millenniumman75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dayton, OH
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Posts: 154,243
My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyApathy View Post
So, Iíve been working his new job and overtime is mandatory. I have to work Monday through Saturday/53 hours a week. Iím so tired all the time and itís making even more depressed than I already am. Am I just being lazy or is this too much? Despite working so many hours Iím only making like $750 every two weeks which is not enough to pay for all my bills but luckily my husband works too but he makes even less than I do, a lot less and we have a lot of expenses and both of us suffer from SA.So we always try to get jobs that donít require any type of customer service but itís hard to find good jobs for introverts with SA. I just feel like all jobs suck the life out of you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It depends on the job. If it is high stress in those 53 hours, is it worth it?


I used to work like that, but was salaried. I have been trying to keep my hours down under 50. I am usually working 45-50 hours a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
I hope you are paid hourly and not salary. Are you making minimum wage?

Should be getting paid time and a half if you go over 40 hours in one week. That means if your normal hourly rate is $10 you get $15 per hour. There are many laws about this.

So an average week for you (53 hours) before taxes, FICA, medicare:

40 hours X $10= $400
13 hours X $15= $195

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm
At 56 hours, it becomes double overtime (2 times pay).

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Oh, okay mate - you're better at working this stuff out than me.
Not really. You would be just as good or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Would be pretty rough trying to live on the minimum wage here too tbh.
Would be in a big city. Usually cheaper the further one lives from a city with cheaper living cost's. If off the grid even cheaper again.

Most here switch to solar which is initially expensive, but don't pay power bills each month.

With water they use a tank that catches rain water, filter the water, etc.
Mondo_Fernando is offline  
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 AM
SAS Member
 
chrisinmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maryland
Language: English
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,506
My Mood: Worried
Worked those kind of hours myself and even more then that. Good for the paycheck but not for having a life outside work. Its ok to do it for a short time period to meet a financial goal but dont work those hours long term. Life is to valuable to work it all away
chrisinmd is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 AM
it's happening
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: tunisia
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 81
you can cope with that i work in a nightclub from 6pm to 5 am no day off but my payment is really worth it . 750$ every two weeks is not worth it just saying

وَمــاَ خَفُيــ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْ
aladeen is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome