Is SA really curable? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is SA really curable?

When I read stuff online posted by people on how certain experiences and therapies have done wonders or even cured social anxiety, I can't simply relate. I have been suffering from crippling anxiety (social/general) since childhood and have taken medications for years, forced myself through situations, studied abroad, worked in numerous jobs where each passing day has been a misery but it seems my social ineptitude and anxiety has become a core part of my personality. They don't seem to go away. Meds helped initially but they don't do much now. Am so tired and exhausted now, that am left with no motivation or energy to push further. I have now accepted how I am and don't see much hope. Am I too negative? Pls share your views. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
I don't believe it's curable but I believe it's controllable to allow you to have a healthy quality of life.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
One person's social anxiety is not another person's social anxiety. I think this is like asking if it's possible to become a professional athlete. It's possible, but not everyone who wants to become a pro athlete becomes a pro athlete.

Everyone is subject to different conditions. Some people face fewer obstacles, or have more support, or have a different temperament, or stumble across a particular technique that works for them. I don't think we should dismiss the claims of people who say they have overcome their social anxiety, or argue that they 'never really had' social anxiety as some people do. Humans are complex; we experience anxiety only when certain thresholds have been met, which depend on conditions which may be altered; and neuroplasticity suggests that real changes are possible. So I don't think it's irrational to hope that we may be able to reduce our own anxiety to levels where we no longer experience it as an obstacle (ie. that we can feel cured). But I think it's important to be realistic, to acknowledge that it may never happen, and take a long-term approach.

Personally, I don't think curing social anxiety should be the goal anyway. I think people should be focusing on developing strategies that allow them to achieve particular goals essential to their well-being, regardless of whether or not their anxiety ever goes away. You can improve the quality of your life in various ways that don't necessarily demand that you overcome your social anxiety. The goal should be increasing your happiness, not trying to conform to some kind of social norm. And in time, these changes may reduce your anxiety all on their own.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
No. Everybody has some sort of 'social anxiety'. People can lessen it by getting experience/confidence being in certain situations and so forth. If people are really affected by it, it is usually because there is some other underlying issue present like depression.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 09:32 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
You can manage social anxiety to learn how to maintain your awareness during social situations.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing citizens 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 10:41 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Depends. You'd have to want to be someone else first. Then you would have to succeed in turning yourself into someone else. Then you'd have to like who you have become enough to not want to go back. Works for some people I guess.

But I think in some cases it is also a matter of intelligence, aptitude and mental flexibility. These things tend to be written in stone.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 02:04 AM
pls don't eat bats, thnx

Language: rambling
I think if you focus on the idea you will be cured in most cases of long term anxiety you will be disappointed. because these things are not so much definite in how you can "fix" them. for instance, it is far easier to focus on a tangible life goal with a definite outcome, that is something you have more power to control the outcome of. redirecting the energy into things where you can find peace and happiness would be a better idea.
it is for sure easier for people that have only experienced anxiety for a couple of years to reverse that and find themselves in a better place. I think it's about being realistic, seeing what you have to work with and trying to make something with that.

I like donuts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 02:10 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
LSD. I guarantee

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 02:12 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
LSD

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 04:17 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
One person's social anxiety is not another person's social anxiety. I think this is like asking if it's possible to become a professional athlete. It's possible, but not everyone who wants to become a pro athlete becomes a pro athlete.

Everyone is subject to different conditions. Some people face fewer obstacles, or have more support, or have a different temperament, or stumble across a particular technique that works for them. I don't think we should dismiss the claims of people who say they have overcome their social anxiety, or argue that they 'never really had' social anxiety as some people do. Humans are complex; we experience anxiety only when certain thresholds have been met, which depend on conditions which may be altered; and neuroplasticity suggests that real changes are possible. So I don't think it's irrational to hope that we may be able to reduce our own anxiety to levels where we no longer experience it as an obstacle (ie. that we can feel cured). But I think it's important to be realistic, to acknowledge that it may never happen, and take a long-term approach.
I really like this. I think it depends largely on the person involved - and just how severe their anxiety is as well.

I got to know a user from this forum years ago and to look at her now you would never believe she has social anxiety at all. Works at quite a busy job and has a very active social life.

It's just not possible to know how one person's anxiety is affecting them I don't think. So maybe they were able to deal with it better and their lives appear to be more "normal."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:24 AM
SAS Member

Language: english
My Mood: Crappy
I don't believe there s a cure sadly.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:42 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
No cure but it their are treatments that help. Medication and therapy. But its not as straight forward as having a broken arm and then when it heals your cured. Mental illness dosent work that way

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page