Is pharmacy a bad career path with SA - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
whyareyousoquiet
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1

Is pharmacy a bad career path with SA


Graduated with biology degree and decided to go into pharmacy. Couldn’t get into a phd or master’s research program cuz of low gpa and no research experience. It’s going ok so far, passing my exams and everything, but I feel even if graduate, I won’t get a job with my dry personality and I’ll have a mountain of debt to pay off. Just a black immigrant tryna make something of himself in the US but poor social skills could get in the way 😞
Daniel Ita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:50 PM
SAS Member
 
EndTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 589
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ita View Post
Graduated with biology degree and decided to go into pharmacy. Couldnít get into a phd or masterís research program cuz of low gpa and no research experience. Itís going ok so far, passing my exams and everything, but I feel even if graduate, I wonít get a job with my dry personality and Iíll have a mountain of debt to pay off. Just a black immigrant tryna make something of himself in the US but poor social skills could get in the way 😞

Poor social skills won't be the problem. I have a master degree in pharmacy. I finished my studies the 19th december 2014 and I started to work the following day (not kidding). That's how easy it is to find a job in a public pharmacy.

The most important thing is how many languages you speak (over here at least). Speaking 6 of them, I immediately outshine the others.

Social skills don't really matter. Most people only want to have their medicines and some basic advices. You only need some "small talk" capabilites which you will gain in a few months.

Yet I cannot advice somebody to start to study pharmacy. The job is pretty boring. You will be doing and saying the exactly same stuff everyday. You also have to deal with rude (sometimes even aggressive people) from time to time. Not on a daily basis. But it will happen.

In five years, I could nearly write a book about what I had to deal with.

Salary isn't the most attractive one considering the efforts you will put into this. Other jobs pay way better while asking less efforts.

Finally, I really believe this job is somehow "doomed" to disappear or become less relevant in future.

I live in a very small country and out of 83 pharmacies, one had to close. I actually think it is the first time ever one pharmacy closes over here. With governments constantly trying to force lower prices on meds, the job simply pays less.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
EndTimes is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:00 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
Poor social skills won't be the problem. I have a master degree in pharmacy. I finished my studies the 19th december 2014 and I started to work the following day (not kidding). That's how easy it is to find a job in a public pharmacy.

The most important thing is how many languages you speak (over here at least). Speaking 6 of them, I immediately outshine the others.

Social skills don't really matter. Most people only want to have their medicines and some basic advices. You only need some "small talk" capabilites which you will gain in a few months.

Yet I cannot advice somebody to start to study pharmacy. The job is pretty boring. You will be doing and saying the exactly same stuff everyday. You also have to deal with rude (sometimes even aggressive people) from time to time. Not on a daily basis. But it will happen.

In five years, I could nearly write a book about what I had to deal with.

Salary isn't the most attractive one considering the efforts you will put into this. Other jobs pay way better while asking less efforts.

Finally, I really believe this job is somehow "doomed" to disappear or become less relevant in future.

I live in a very small country and out of 83 pharmacies, one had to close. I actually think it is the first time ever one pharmacy closes over here. With governments constantly trying to force lower prices on meds, the job simply pays less.
You speak 6 languages? That's incredible. Which other 2 do you speak?
harrison is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:02 PM
SAS Member
 
EndTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 589
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
You speak 6 languages? That's incredible. Which other 2 do you speak?
Spanish and Luxembourgish

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
EndTimes is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:23 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
Spanish and Luxembourgish
Yes I thought one of them must be Spanish. And I didn't even know Luxembourg had their own language?

Speaking of pharmacists (to get back to the topic) - there used to be a young guy at the pharmacy I went to a lot that seemed to have a problem with eye contact. I'm not completely sure if he had social anxiety but there was something there - and it triggered a similar response in me every time I tried to interact with him. Very awkward.

I know what you mean about dealing with difficult people too - I worked in retail for a while and also at libraries and it can be difficult. But you can meet some very nice people too, obviously - so I guess it sort of evens out in the end.
harrison is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 01:49 PM
SAS Member
 
EndTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 589
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yes I thought one of them must be Spanish. And I didn't even know Luxembourg had their own language?

Speaking of pharmacists (to get back to the topic) - there used to be a young guy at the pharmacy I went to a lot that seemed to have a problem with eye contact. I'm not completely sure if he had social anxiety but there was something there - and it triggered a similar response in me every time I tried to interact with him. Very awkward.

I know what you mean about dealing with difficult people too - I worked in retail for a while and also at libraries and it can be difficult. But you can meet some very nice people too, obviously - so I guess it sort of evens out in the end.
Yes, Luxembourg has its own language. To give you an idea, it is to German what portuguese is to spanish. Different languages, but If you understand German you can easily learn the other.


Could be the case. But sometimes I will avoid looking in the eyes of certain persons while it doesn't bother me with clients I know better.

I agree. But in this particular case, you mostly deal with "old" people. It isn't a big surprise if I tell that the older you get, the more likely it is that you will need one or a few meds.

So most people I deal with are already over 50 years and many over 70.

You don't see many people in their 20's and not many more in their 30's.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
EndTimes is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:03 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
Yes, Luxembourg has its own language. To give you an idea, it is to German what portuguese is to spanish. Different languages, but If you understand German you can easily learn the other.


Could be the case. But sometimes I will avoid looking in the eyes of certain persons while it doesn't bother me with clients I know better.

I agree. But in this particular case, you mostly deal with "old" people. It isn't a big surprise if I tell that the older you get, the more likely it is that you will need one or a few meds.

So most people I deal with are already over 50 years and many over 70.

You don't see many people in their 20's and not many more in their 30's.
Ah, I see. For someone from an English-speaking country it's very impressive. I spent some time in Europe in my 20's when I lived with a gf in Southern Germany. Sometimes she'd sit in the car and try to teach me some German - reading from a little language-learning book. I didn't really try and never liked it as a language so I only learnt a few words. I did some languages at uni but I'm certainly not fluent in anything other than English.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess you'd get quite a few older grumpy people in there buying their medication. Would be difficult sometimes I'm sure.
harrison is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Language: English
Gender: Female
Posts: 709
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
You speak 6 languages? That's incredible. Which other 2 do you speak?
That is incredible. Id love to be bilingual but Im afraid Id get it all mixed up in my head lol.
Reverie101 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Language: English
Gender: Female
Posts: 709
My Mood: Breezy
I have a friend similar to you. Certified in pharmacy and bio major as well-- Just my two cents as you get older I feel you shouldn't try to stay in your comfort zone but expand it as keeping yourself in a bubble will only make SA that much of a bigger hurdle to leap over.

She also struggles a bit with anxiety but she's doing okay. I think if you have experience and know what you're doing you'll be okay.
Reverie101 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Language: English
Gender: Female
Posts: 709
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw View Post
Well you have to fight it, in order to achieve what you really want to do.
This. Im afraid as hell to be a dental/ortho assistant, it's not even so much the social aspect but the lack of experience that has me nervous but no way in the world I'm letting my certification go to waste.
Reverie101 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:27 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
That is incredible. Id love to be bilingual but Im afraid Id get it all mixed up in my head lol.
I think people that can speak another language are incredibly clever - even it's just one other one beside their mother tongue. I studied Indonesian for ages and I'm still not fluent, probably would be if I lived there and spoke it every day though.

I can still remember a lot though - it's weird, when I get in a taxi up there I can always answer their questions with no problem. After a while it just sort of sinks in.

But @EndTimes is on a whole different level - that just amazes me.
harrison is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Language: English
Gender: Female
Posts: 709
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think people that can speak another language are incredibly clever - even it's just one other one beside their mother tongue. I studied Indonesian for ages and I'm still not fluent, probably would be if I lived there and spoke it every day though.

I can still remember a lot though - it's weird, when I get in a taxi up there I can always answer their questions with no problem. After a while it just sort of sinks in.

But @EndTimes is on a whole different level - that just amazes me.
Yeah I think being able to practice helps keep it cemented. Id love to just speak spanish.
Reverie101 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome