Is it wrong to imagine a girlfriend or wife/partner - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
.....I'd be offended if you didn't offend me
But would you be offended if he offended you by not offending you? Or would you only be offended if he offended you by not offending you by offending you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
To me, at least, the words "girl" or "boy" imply some level of youth; I cannot see myself calling a 60 year old woman a "girl". From this, it follows that "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" also sound awkward when applied to people of certain age.

I've never said that the word "partner" was "great"; I just prefer to use it because it is concise, descriptive, and its meaning is typically clear from the context. I fail to see what political correctness has to do with it; to me it is just a matter of language efficiency. I have no problem talking about a "boyfriend" or a "girlfriend" when I know enough about the situation to be able to narrow the language down so, but when speaking in generals, I typically do not.

I am not sure why you are so sensitive about this word. You talk about not being politically correct, yet at the same time you are the one picking on the language some use in this thread. I do not quite understand the logic here. I, for one, have no problem with your choice of words. If you choose to talk about my hypothetical boyfriend, even though I'm fairly straight, I will be totally fine with it: again, a lot of the discussion in this thread is based on hypotheticals, so it's not like a wrong assumption about someone is going to break the argument.
First of all, my real problem with the word is that it annoys me. It is bizarre that I am getting this much backlash just for simply being put off by a word. I personally don't see anything out of the ordinary about two 60 year old's calling each other boyfriend or girlfriend. It is a common word that has been used for God knows how long. You don't reach age 50 or 60 and no longer need to use the term "girlfriend" or "boyfriend." a 70 year old can use the word, if you do or don't feel it is appropriate at that age. If 2 people of any age sex or sexual preference are together romantically they are boyfriend and girlfriend, until they get married, at which point they cannot refer to themselves that way. Partner is not a more appropriate term because it can mean different things.

The word partner is a newer politically correct term. It simply did not exist until recent years. If 2 people play a board game, I can see someone saying, "i need a partner." If you are playing pickup basketball and need another person, i can understand saying, "I need a partner."

Other than a nurse trying not to offend someone by using the term in a doctor's office, it is completely a politically correct term used to not offend people. If no one used the word in that context 40 years ago, it can't be an old common expression. It is an artificial word that again, was not used until recent years.

I am not sensitive about the word, i am sensitive about people attacking and criticizing my annoyance with the word. I am allowed to be annoyed with the word, the same way I am annoyed with the word "mate"

I never "talked about your hypothetical boyfriend" so don't put words in my mouth. I could care less if you are gay or straight, i was making a point about the use of "girlfriend and boyfriend" as opposed to "partner"

Why dont you get off my case, i dont know what you are saying about me not being politically correct. I didn't pick apart the language anyone used. That poster made a comment using a similar word defending the stupid word "partner" and used a similar word "participant" and was picking me apart so I gave it back to them. And don't ever say I implied you had a hypothetical boyfriend, now you are just being paranoid
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM
💀

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
A society of slaves to women may sound much more attractive from the female perspective though, than it would be in reality. I recommend reading the Dark Elf trilogy by Salvadore, where the matriarchal Drow society is depicted. Suffice to say, men are not the only ones suffering there.

Humor, on the other hand, is quite encouraged there, so I'll let this pass!
May have come across those books advertised before but haven't read them. Dark elves are usually matriarchal so I suppose that makes sense. I didn't say anything about a matriarchy though.

I wasn't joking actually.

Quote:
Woah slow down. You're popping those orange smarties like you're House on vicodin.
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheveled and Lost View Post
First of all, my real problem with the word is that it annoys me. It is bizarre that I am getting this much backlash just for simply being put off by a word. I personally don't see anything out of the ordinary about two 60 year old's calling each other boyfriend or girlfriend. It is a common word that has been used for God knows how long. You don't reach age 50 or 60 and no longer need to use the term "girlfriend" or "boyfriend." a 70 year old can use the word, if you do or don't feel it is appropriate at that age. If 2 people of any age sex or sexual preference are together romantically they are boyfriend and girlfriend, until they get married, at which point they cannot refer to themselves that way. Partner is not a more appropriate term because it can mean different things.

The word partner is a newer politically correct term. It simply did not exist until recent years. If 2 people play a board game, I can see someone saying, "i need a partner." If you are playing pickup basketball and need another person, i can understand saying, "I need a partner."

Other than a nurse trying not to offend someone by using the term in a doctor's office, it is completely a politically correct term used to not offend people. If no one used the word in that context 40 years ago, it can't be an old common expression. It is an artificial word that again, was not used until recent years.

I am not sensitive about the word, i am sensitive about people attacking and criticizing my annoyance with the word. I am allowed to be annoyed with the word, the same way I am annoyed with the word "mate"

I never "talked about your hypothetical boyfriend" so don't put words in my mouth. I could care less if you are gay or straight, i was making a point about the use of "girlfriend and boyfriend" as opposed to "partner"

Why dont you get off my case, i dont know what you are saying about me not being politically correct. I didn't pick apart the language anyone used. That poster made a comment using a similar word defending the stupid word "partner" and used a similar word "participant" and was picking me apart so I gave it back to them. And don't ever say I implied you had a hypothetical boyfriend, now you are just being paranoid
Lol, dude, relax. I was talking about the usage of the world in various scenarios, I never accused you of making assumptions about me. Not sure why you are so fired up by people pointing out that "partner" is a reasonable word.
post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM
lagrimas negras

Wait you guys are mean. Way too much overreacting going on on this thread In my opinion.
I just need to know if I'm allowed to use the word 'partner' or will I be torture and burn in hell for it? Calm down folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjune View Post
Wait you guys are mean. Way too much overreacting going on on this thread In my opinion.
I just need to know if I'm allowed to use the word 'partner' or will I be torture and burn in hell for it? Calm down folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are free to use the word "partner" however much you wish...
... but, we can't guarantee that you won't wake up one day in our dungeon!
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 PM
lagrimas negras

Quote:
You are free to use the word "partner" however much you wish...
... but, we can't guarantee that you won't wake up one day in our dungeon!
No guarantees? Hmm, I think I'll play it safe and not use the 'P' word anymore.
Seriously tho, some of these threads get way out of hand over nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM
💀

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well this has gotten more surreal. Not sure how that's possible.

Essentially I've been pissed off a lot over the last couple of days and your post was basically easy bait for me to vent at you since you came in with your 'anti PC' bs that I see from a lot of people now. They think they're better than everyone and there's this mad scrabble to be the least offended by everything and signal how unoffended you are, it's just another stupid status game.

And no I don't consider this a fight. I'm literally sitting here like this right now

You quoted me 10 times and then went to my blog lol to try and find stuff but you see. I don't care anymore. About anything. Have fun dude.

Quote:
Woah slow down. You're popping those orange smarties like you're House on vicodin.
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone

Last edited by A Toxic Butterfly; 05-10-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: edited for conflicts
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM
lagrimas negras

I was really hoping to offend you earlier but now that I got my butt whipped, I'm just tired and want to be left alone. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Great White Shark

Guys, guys, guys! Break!

post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 PM
Russian Modster

THREAD WARNING: This thread is getting off-topic, posts have been deleted for conflicts & user insults. Please be mindful that if this continues, the thread will be closed & users involved may receive infractions for ignoring this warning. If a user is causing issue for you, you are advised to message staff, and if a thread is causing discomfort or frustration, let us know or take a break from the site for awhile. Place a user or threads you don't like on ignore. There are other ways to go about this then full-on attacking. Thank you.

:: Anybody else want to run? Contorting, distorting, I am undone. One less propaganda nightmare fixture. Are you getting the picture? Separate. I've lost my only way. See the shape, Broken and thrown away. ::

Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:19 AM
searching for spices

Language: 英語と日本語
If it's someone you know in real life and have to interact with regularly it can get awkward. So I try to put a stop to that if it starts up.

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM
AKA Pete Beale

Quote:
Guys, guys, guys! Break!

R.I.P Chico!
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 PM
bipolar

I always thought the word "partner" was okay? I use it all the time.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 AM
MAGA

I guess I'm waiting for the time when there is sufficiently advanced AI that can at least be a non-judgemental talking partner that could possibly help coach and improve social skills. Better yet something like a "Joi" as seen in "Blade Runner 2049". But no, I wouldn't want to go as far to have an imaginary partner in my head whether voluntarily or forced by a shizoid-affective disorder.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page