Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   I miss being a teenager (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/i-miss-being-a-teenager-2224375/)

LadyApathy 06-10-2019 06:10 PM

I miss being a teenager

My teenage years werenít perfect but they were by far the best years of my life, at least when you compare it to my adulthood. Lately, Iíve been daydreaming about being a teen again and I just really miss how carefree, and fun it was. Sure, high school was a pain in the butt but not nearly as bad as working at a job. Learning is much more fun then working in my opinion and my homework was never really hard.

Whereas, work is always hard and for some reason Iím surrounded with crazy adults who love drama. In high school, I guess I was lucky because I never experienced any drama but my job is filled with ratchet people, so drama is inevitable and itís driving me crazy. I remember i was in college prep program that would take us on really fun out of town field trips those are some of my favorite memories.

Life was just so much more carefree back then, Iíd play video games and watch anime all day, Iíd go on field trips really often thanks to that program I was in, like they took us to San Antonio, Las Vegas and Dallas and it was fully paid for by the program. Iíd got to stay in nice hotels with the only 3 friends that I had and we would just have fun sightseeing.

I know most people hate their teenage years but I wish I couldíve stayed that age forever. Being an adult has been nothing but a nightmare for me....since adulthood I havenít been happy, not even once. I donít even remember what it feels like to be happy.

Anyone else miss their teenage or childhood years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anonymoususer2 06-11-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyApathy (Post 1093739069)
My teenage years weren’t perfect but they were by far the best years of my life, at least when you compare it to my adulthood. Lately, I’ve been daydreaming about being a teen again and I just really miss how carefree, and fun it was. Sure, high school was a pain in the butt but not nearly as bad as working at a job. Learning is much more fun then working in my opinion and my homework was never really hard.

Whereas, work is always hard and for some reason I’m surrounded with crazy adults who love drama. In high school, I guess I was lucky because I never experienced any drama but my job is filled with ratchet people, so drama is inevitable and it’s driving me crazy. I remember i was in college prep program that would take us on really fun out of town field trips those are some of my favorite memories.

Life was just so much more carefree back then, I’d play video games and watch anime all day, I’d go on field trips really often thanks to that program I was in, like they took us to San Antonio, Las Vegas and Dallas and it was fully paid for by the program. I’d got to stay in nice hotels with the only 3 friends that I had and we would just have fun sightseeing.

I know most people hate their teenage years but I wish I could’ve stayed that age forever. Being an adult has been nothing but a nightmare for me....since adulthood I haven’t been happy, not even once. I don’t even remember what it feels like to be happy.

Anyone else miss their teenage or childhood years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@LadyApathy
Nah, I don't really miss things from my childhood but then again my childhood wasn't good. There's a lot of things that happened in my childhood that fu<cked me up and as an adult i'm still putting those pieces together and doing damage control.

Where I do understand you coming from is being worry free. Although I worried as a kid a lot because of things that went on I had a worry free world view in the sense of I didn't understand a lot of troubles of the world and I miss being an innocent child sometimes.

Have you though about doing sweet innocent things that can give you a child like fulfillment? For me sometimes I blow bubbles, I'll run away from them and giggle or let them pop on my face. Maybe people might think it's weird but it gives me a feeling of pure joy.

+If you're having so many issues with your job maybe consider finding a new one.

james_m 06-12-2019 01:39 PM

I've been thinking about this for months now. I don't know if I necessarily miss being a teenager?? Because it was really hard and confusing and I would never ever EVER want to go back to high school? But if I could go back to being that young with a fresh start knowing what I know now...yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd find a way to get through it. I'd do things sooo differently. But I guess that's not really what you meant.

I do miss some aspects of being a teenager - not caring about finding a romantic partner and my family still caring about me and not being overweight. Oh, and I was intelligent, because school.

Reverie101 06-12-2019 03:05 PM

Idk my teen years were lonely AF.. But I did like my childhood very carefree but even though being an adult can suck..I love the freedom too much to go back to being under my parents thumb .

sabbath9 06-12-2019 03:24 PM

I skipped high school and went to college instead. But I'm pretty much still doing what I used to do as a teenager even though that was decades ago. Studying, working, going to concerts, smoking weed, riding my bike. Of course all my friends moved away but my wife puts up with my craziness.

Do what you want to do. Make a new friend. Work hard, play harder. Go on field trips again. I enjoy photography, of course back in the day we used film :p

Age is all in your mind (but ageism isn't)

Quote:

Alice Cooper Lyrics

"I'm Eighteen"

Lines form on my face and hands
Lines form from the ups and downs
I'm in the middle without any plans
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen and I don't know what I want
Eighteen I just don't know what I want
Eighteen I gotta get away
I gotta get out of this place
I'll go runnin' in outer space oh yeah

I got a baby's brain and an old man's heart took eighteen years to get this far
Don't always know what I'm talkin' about feels like I'm livin' in the middle of doubt

'Cause I'm eighteen I get confused every day eighteen I just don't know what to say
Eighteen I gotta get away

Whoa lines form on my face and my hands
Lines form on the left and right
I'm in the middle the middle of life
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen and I like it
Yes I like it
Oh I like it love it like it love it
Eighteen eighteen eighteen eighteen and I like it

teopap 06-12-2019 03:49 PM

I miss it too. At least I had friends then and some decent quality of life, even with SA. Now I have nothing.

Shredder 06-12-2019 04:13 PM

Yeah I miss being a teenager but I miss pre-teens even more. Even though they were in some ways horrible, I think I miss the naivety and sense of idealism that I seemed to be able to maintain back then.

I_Exist 06-12-2019 04:21 PM

My life as a teenager was never carefree. It was hard. My life now is hard, just hard in a different way.

SorryForMyEnglish 06-12-2019 04:26 PM

No. It was a nightmare, sort of like it is now, but in a different way. I would only like to go back knowing what I know now as james_m said.

On a personal note, I would like to go back to 3-4 years ago, at least on a time machine to inform myself about the consequences of doing something. But it wasn't an exactly teenage age already. Although the earlier the better so it doesn't matter when, but starting from 3-4 years ago.

shyguy07 06-12-2019 08:09 PM

I think about this all the time. My childhood years, earlier ones I look at fondly because my parents seemed happier.

High school I always dreaded homework and wanted to work instead because then I wouldn't have to do homework anymore. But I too miss high school and teenage years, and it may partly because I remember only the good parts. Sometimes I wish I was more involved at school, like in a sport or club or something. We did get to go on a few trips my senior year in one of my classes which was fun.

I particularly miss my college years though - I did more back then, and had friends and we'd go out of town and go places. Plus I only had classes 4 days a week so every weekend was 3 days which was awesome.

My high school and college was during the late 2000s and early 2010s and I notice a lot lately I get nostalgic for those years. And also things that came out during that time. I think the biggest thing then is people weren't glued to their smartphones as much - since most people didn't have them yet.

Ai 06-12-2019 08:23 PM

I think I miss some aspects of my life back then. I loved the house and dinky little rural town I lived in. Most of my summer memories were pleasant, and it was just so relaxing to live in such a secluded place where I didn't have to deal with as many people on the regular.

As far as actually missing being a teenager, though... I don't know. Teenagers are exhausting. lol Both being one and being around them. I remember thinking that then, and I definitely feel it now. :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyApathy (Post 1093739069)
Iíd go on field trips really often thanks to that program I was in, like they took us to San Antonio, Las Vegas and Dallas and it was fully paid for by the program. Iíd got to stay in nice hotels with the only 3 friends that I had and we would just have fun sightseeing.

Wow. That's awesome. lol

My high school couldn't afford books from the appropriate decade. :lol

BeautyandRage 06-12-2019 08:40 PM

I remember when I was 16 years old I went on a road trip and I went to visit some distant relatives, they had a lot of kids. I used to watch them play and be so carefree and I vividly remember crying as I watched them play because they were so carefree and knew nothing about the world around them, only caring about what was right then and there. I wanted that so badly, to not give a **** and be happy about the smallest of things. Now looking back, age 16 is probably the year I loved the most in my life although it was a very difficult year. After thinking about the fact I wish I was thankful in those moments, I try and be more grateful for these moments now even on hard days because I won’t ever get them back.

Suchness 06-12-2019 09:11 PM

The good old days, I had so much fun. I went thru different phases in my teens. In my early teens I was best friends with two Viet guys, they were one to the hardest gang in the city, Viet's of course so we we're like little thugs. Wearing 26 Reds jeans, acting like little adults, getting high, going out playing pool and doing whatever we want. We we're real bros, always sharing our things with each other, paying for each other and not asking for money. Those times had a strong impact on me and often when I feel nostalgic I think back on those times.

Fun Spirit 06-13-2019 01:07 AM

The only thing I miss about my teenager year is drawing my Stick People Comics. It all started in the 7th grade. I drew my comics up until I graduated from high school. It was my joy. It still is but unfortuantly I had stopped drawing due to depression and feeling bad about my poor childish artwork. I also told myself that I wouldn't draw another comic unless I wrote a script out first. Since then I haven't drew a comic.

My teen years wasn't the grandest. Outside my family life I didn't do much but go to school. I wish I got more involved. It would had helped my social skills. I was that quiet, shy, nice girl who got good grades. {Except for math.} That was it. In a way I feel detached from my childhood and teen years. It feel like a past life.

harrison 06-13-2019 02:07 AM

I don't miss being a teenager at all. Not that it was bad - I just never even think about that time. I feel much the same for everything up to about the age of 35 tbh. That was when I moved down here with my wife and son and life became serious. Pretty much everything before then was just mucking around.

Mlt18 06-13-2019 05:10 AM

Life sucked when I was a teen, but I miss not having any responsibilities other than school and how I could get by on little money

PerpetuallyLoney 06-16-2019 04:41 AM

Yes, I totally do. Life was sure a hell of a lot easier and more carefree, albeit still hard for me personally because I've always been an overly anxious person. Opportunities, friends, life experiences... I have a lot more memories of all of that as a teen than I have ever in my adult life. The life of the anxious adult sure is a hard one.

sanpellegrino 06-16-2019 04:53 AM

Well my adult life is just going swell. I miss the no limits lifestyle I had. Had good friends but then it all ****ed up by the time of leaving school which was a bit traumatic for me. Went to college and spent most of my time having fun, going out and getting into trouble. I think that's when my anxiety was starting to come into place though. Mixed up times. Good and bad. I'm just glad I managed to survive the ride.

Also, I left the country at 19. Got into a heavy stage of partying etc.

Steve French 06-16-2019 05:17 AM

I was quite miserable in my teen years. Constantly anxious and depressed and always left hanging and wanting more. I do miss it though for some reasons. It was just so easy I guess. Every thing was taken care of and covered for me. All I did was go to school for 4-6 hours a day and do drugs. I slept five hours a night and woke up feeling god-like. I hadn't burned all my bridges, I was taken care of, and I had a considerably larger social and family life, as constrained as it was even then.

Now I stress myself out to the point of vomiting due to finances because I live paycheck to paycheck and I can't even think of getting help most of the time because I just can't afford it. My check engine light came on today and I just about had a panic attack right there. I've been running on a quarter tank of fuel non-stop because I just can't fill it at $1.40 a litre/$4 a gallon us funds. That's just a creature comfort really, when you get down to rent and food. As I get older my friends and family drift off further and further and my chances of building up new social connections drop massively. My career prospects dwindle year by year as does it seems my chances of finding a good relationship. Nobody wants to give an adult a hand or a break while they were forked out to me all the time while younger.

I used to be quite stressed constantly because of my health in my teen years. I've turned out to be quite healthy, and it was mostly anxiety causing all sorts of symptoms. Who knows how long this will last though?

Cool Ice Dude55 06-16-2019 05:26 AM

Carefree? You're joking. It might seem like that to me in rose-tinted glasses but it worst worst time of my life. I hate thinking about being a teenager, never mind going back.