I'm Autistic...... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm Autistic......

Hey guys, so I was just now diagnosed with autism a month ago. I am 20 years old. This is surprising because most people on the autism spectrum are diagnosed before the age of three. If I were really autistic I dont understand how it took almost 17 more years to diagnose me. Part of me believes my diagnosis is wrong and that I am just simply shy and introverted but then again I was evaluated by professionals who would know more than me. I do have the occasional atypical behaviors especially when I was younger and I do remember feeling different compared to the other kids but I guess I dont "feel" like I am autistic ( not trying to be insensitive but this is the best way I can describe it). The psychologist said that i am high functioning on the spectrum though. I dont know, half of me thinks this diagnoses is wrong but what do i know. Is anyone else on here a high functioning autistic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:04 PM
SAS Member

Your diagnosis can be wrong. Its a possibility. Id always go for a second...third.. opinion. With both psychiatric and physical medicine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
If you're female then it's very common to be undiagnosed. The symptoms and even neurological traits are different depending on gender:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...rent-in-girls/

Most of the stereotypes are based on males. Autistic women stereotypically are probably more like this (I doubt she's been diagnosed but it wouldn't surprise me if she was on the spectrum):

only the most severe female cases typically get diagnosed, even among high functioning cases it will be people whose body language etc is really obviously off. Not just subtly weird where you get classed as quirky or odd etc.

Another thing is a main part of the diagnoses is related to special interests, and the special interests that female autistic people tend to have just don't flag as weird as often. Like instead of trains and elevators or whatever they might be instead obsessively into true crime (that seems to be a common one,) or fantasy stuff or even female beauty stuff. Some of the interests overlap though like interest in anime.

edit: was trying to find this it's a list someone actually posted of all the ones they had:

https://musingsofanaspie.com/2012/11...cial-interest/

Barbies
Construction toys (legos, lincoln logs, tinker toys)
Text (reading, writing, words, found text, Roget’s thesaurus)
Stamps
Coins
Guinness Book of World Records
Baseball cards
Sewing (making my own clothes)
The stock market
M*A*S*H (TV show)
The Doors
Star Trek:TNG
Martial Arts
Human detritus (abandoned places, found objects, discarded things, cemeteries)
Zen Buddhism
Dog training
Astronomy, especially Messier objects
The Choson Dynasty
Shamanism
National parks
Running
Autism (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:39 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
I've been labeled that when I was a kid. I never got diagnosed with anything.

Turns out they were pretty wrong. Putting yourself into an autism box really doesn't do anything for you so why care?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
I was diagnosed as a high functioning autistic too. At around 30 years old. The thing about the late diagnosis is that maybe you were able to get through life for quite a while before things started to fall apart and then the diagnosis came in. It happened to a lot of people and it is kind of how it happened to me too.

As for "feeling" autistic, I don't find any different when I'm on my own. I do my thing and feel perfectly normal. It's when I go out and connect with people where I see that it is more difficult than the norm. The brain is wired differently. I'm good at analyzing things. Visual. I like music too and can memorize melodies quite easily. I don't sing. ---- I was told I was an Asperger, and the toughest thing is having difficulty naturally interacting with others, so therefore, difficulty in creating bonds with other human beings. It is a curse I find. Anyway, that's what I got to say for now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:08 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitegalaxycat View Post
Hey guys, so I was just now diagnosed with autism a month ago. I am 20 years old. This is surprising because most people on the autism spectrum are diagnosed before the age of three. If I were really autistic I dont understand how it took almost 17 more years to diagnose me. Part of me believes my diagnosis is wrong and that I am just simply shy and introverted but then again I was evaluated by professionals who would know more than me. I do have the occasional atypical behaviors especially when I was younger and I do remember feeling different compared to the other kids but I guess I dont "feel" like I am autistic ( not trying to be insensitive but this is the best way I can describe it). The psychologist said that i am high functioning on the spectrum though. I dont know, half of me thinks this diagnoses is wrong but what do i know. Is anyone else on here a high functioning autistic?
According to the RAADS autism test for adults, I scored a 79, which is above the cutoff of 65 for "autism". It's possible that your diagnosis is wrong. Although autism definitely involves interpersonal difficulty, there are other aspects to it as well, such as stimming, obsessiveness with certain hobbies and interests, and preference for very specific routines. You might not necessarily tick off all of those boxes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page