Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   I had a panic attack in my college anthropology class today (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/i-had-a-panic-attack-in-my-college-anthropology-class-86404/)

MisterJ25 03-25-2010 06:05 PM

I had a panic attack in my college anthropology class today

It was weird and afterwards I felt completely pathetic. I was sitting in class and all of a sudden my vision began to blur, the professors voice warped in and out, and I was shaking, and sweating. I literally felt like I was dying. I tried to cover it up but I think the teacher saw me acting really weird. The guy sitting next to me didn't seem to notice, I think. Eventually it wore off and I returned to normal, but I was really scared. This hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager in high school.

This is only the fouth time it has happened in my life, but can anyone relate to this? I feel completely detached from everyone. Even when I have conversations with people from work or school, I feel as if they are only talking to me because they pity me or because I am weird.

izzy 03-25-2010 06:15 PM

Panic attacks suck. :(
I have trouble breathing in class a lot. It's been happening less as I've gotten a little tiny bit used to college... I had to run out of my only class I had my first semester. I was having trouble breathing and I felt nauseous, and I ended up throwing up in a hallway trashcan.
If I'm with a group of people outside of school, which is very rarely, a lot of times my vision will blur too... and things feel very unreal and it's really scary.

The Strong Silent Type 03-25-2010 06:19 PM

I've experienced a panic attack in class once similar to how you described. It was like I retreated into my brain for a minute.

pita 03-25-2010 08:16 PM

I'm sorry. Having a panic attack in class is horrible. I had one the other day, and I just sat there glued to my seat not knowing what the hell to do.

The first time it ever happened was in a stupid linguistics tutorial. I was afraid to go back after that because I was afraid it'd happen again.

sadfaze 03-25-2010 09:01 PM

I had one about a month ago..it was terrible and it was in class.

Benji90 03-26-2010 11:46 AM

I had one in a lecture last week, I remember the most horrible thing about it was i was right in the middle of the lecture theatre and there was no way to get out, horrible experience :afr

Hello22 03-26-2010 11:56 AM

Ya i get them before public speaking mainly. they are awful, and they are very mentally and physically draining.

millenniumman75 03-26-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterJ25 (Post 1315710)
It was weird and afterwards I felt completely pathetic. I was sitting in class and all of a sudden my vision began to blur, the professors voice warped in and out, and I was shaking, and sweating. I literally felt like I was dying. I tried to cover it up but I think the teacher saw me acting really weird. The guy sitting next to me didn't seem to notice, I think. Eventually it wore off and I returned to normal, but I was really scared. This hasn't happened to me since I was a teenager in high school.

This is only the fouth time it has happened in my life, but can anyone relate to this? I feel completely detached from everyone. Even when I have conversations with people from work or school, I feel as if they are only talking to me because they pity me or because I am weird.

They didn't notice. No problem. Panic attacks can happen - just let them flow. Remember to breathe :).

kittymeow 03-26-2010 12:57 PM

i get them in study hall sometimes. it sucks...

MisterJ25 03-26-2010 02:36 PM

Yeah I didn't fight it at all. It kind of felt like one of the opening sequence of an episode of house where someone is normal then they freak out in public and have to go to a hospital. Seriously, I have taken a lot of drugs in my life and this was nothing like I have ever experienced. I just accepted it and took it like a big mental wave. Can't say I liked it, but I do not fear them. I was in the back and tried to stay as calm as I possibly could which is easy for me because I am usually really layed back and indifferent to the stimuli around me. That seems to be people's first observation about me. They either think I am angry or they just think I am 100% neutral. Both can be true depending on my day.

stars 03-26-2010 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear that, i know how it feels.