I got laid off again - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I got laid off again

Just when I thought I caught a break, everything comes crashing back down.

For those of you that don't know my story. I was unemployed for the last two years after getting laid off from my previous job. Then I landed this "temp to hire" position where all signs pointed to me going permanent after the trial period.

Then suddenly last week, things got slow...really slow. I had no work at all.

Today my boss told me the funding wasn't there to keep me on any more but when there's more work, I'll be the "first in line" that he calls. I'd like to believe him, but I've heard that kind of talk before from my last employer, and of course they never called me back. So I don't know what to think at this point.

I guess now I'll see if I can apply for unemployment again, but I doubt I qualify as a temp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
SAS Member

If your boss liked you and can put in a good word for you, you should be able to get a good job, or at least another temp job, someplace else.

I also just got done with a temporary assignment. I've had the same part-time job for the past decade, which of course doesn't cut it financially or any other way. To supplement that job, I went to a temporary agency that finds temps for a healthcare behemoth (the largest employer in the city), and they hired me on for a clerical job. What a sucky job this was, and it only served to make me more fond of my small company part-time job. Huge companies hire too many people, and this office brought on four college interns a few weeks ago. Before they came, people were looking around for something to keep them occupied during the full-time shift, as work was slow. After they arrived, it was even more so. Since I was doing a good job, I thought that they might bring me back for a second three months, but apparently you have to ask to be re-hired as a temp, and I had no interest in staying at this job. Plus, it's likely that the surplus of employees figured into them not bringing me back. So as of today, I'm back to my part-time job, but I'm probably going to call the temp agency in a few days or look at another company.

Instead of looking at unemployment as an alternative, just hit the job search hard. Reply to reputable Craigslist ads, go to other temp agencies, etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

Try to look for another job. I think this time it will be easier because you just had a job. Then if they ask your reason for unemployment, just say shortage of work because that's the truth. There's not enough work for you in that company but that doesn't mean you didn't do well.

“As long as you want it so bad, it’s not going to happen – the only way it’s gonna work is if it doesn’t matter…”
- Wristcutters: A Love Story

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
is getting over herself

that really sucks, sorry you're having a difficult time. Looking for work right now just really sucks in general. I've been looking since mid Feb, and tomorrow I have what will be just my second interview in all that time.

Good luck with your job search. try not to take it personally (tho I know it's hard not to). I have some pretty good skills, but there are all kinds of people with great skills out there who are looking too. Competition is bad, and at many places you are facing internal competition as well.

Live Cage Free!!!! or, at least be wild caught.
SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I have to feed my dog

Smile

I was about to congratulate you because I thought it said "I just got laid again."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Sorry that happened to you. I know it's tough finding a job out there during these times, but I guess you just gotta keep trying. One of my friends after being unemployed for the same amount of time just got a job today, ironically. Hopefully the same can happen to you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

Sorry to hear that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
planning relocation

Sorry to hear about that. My friend is in a tough spot too. He's been out of work for a while. We're living in tough times.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:20 AM
SAS Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I temped somewhere for over a year and they gave me the boot because I was there the maximum amount of time a temp is allowed to stay without a job offer. They were unable to hire me. I've been unemployed since December and can't find anything. I even applied for a bunch of jobs that don't require an education and haven't been called for an interview.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Poorly Educated

Sorry to hear that. I remember reading your posts and how long it took you to find this job. Hang in there, I hope you find something else soon.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

Sorry dude. Finding work or keeping jobs is hard right now.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
poison apple

Sorry Futures

I hope you find something else soon.

The future is here, and it's about a hundred feet above the Arby's.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page