I feel so Abnormal because everyone has a Facebook except me - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel so Abnormal because everyone has a Facebook except me

No joke this scares me. It's extremely uncommon to be 19 and live in the U.S. and not have a Facebook. Even if I made one I wouldn't have a single person to add. No one from HS knew me cause of Crippling Anxiety. Maybe I can try something when I start College. Therefore I can't make friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:55 AM
SAS Member

I never had a facebook and never will. Same with twitter. I'm disappointed that this garbage has become the norm. I hoped it would only be a fad.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 AM
Permanently Banned

It's not that big of a deal. Facebook depressed me. It was difficult seeing such happy couples on Facebook and looking at that only made me feel more lonely than I already was. It wasn't good for my mental health to have Facebook so I deleted it. It wasn't like I used it for anything other than creepin' on people anyways. Also; social media by its nature needs you to be interlaced with people and that doesn't do much good when you have difficulties like we do. Don't get me wrong social media can be wonderful and its such an important part of our society but there is nothing wrong with being unplugged. Its healthy.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM
#SaveTheOA

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koloz View Post
No joke this scares me. It's extremely uncommon to be 19 and live in the U.S. and not have a Facebook. Even if I made one I wouldn't have a single person to add. No one from HS knew me cause of Crippling Anxiety. Maybe I can try something when I start College. Therefore I can't make friends.
No dude, the first time I made a facebook account was when I was 23. But it would never have happened without taking Prozac. It just made me so careless to what people thought, it helped alot.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:41 PM
 

My Mood: Busy
Can you imagine strangers poring over your families physical photo albums as if they were interested in seeing them? Or the pictures pasted to cork boards in some girl's room? Only her friends and some pervert looking in through a window would care. Let's read her journal, no thanks man I'm good. "Today suzy didn't talk to me, I feel like a black stained glassed window broken into shards of obsidian self loathing". But that's how we are now, even here.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:50 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Sick
I never had any type of social media account, don't feel bad. But if you feel it will help then get one.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Witch of Miracles

There is no reason to feel abnormal because you have a valid reason not to use it, and you know that.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Yowie Wowie

I had a Facebook but permanently deleted it as I was constantly reminded of what I hate in humanity.

I haven't had a Facebook in over a year. I only have a Twitter (which I ultra-rarely use) and SAS if that counts.

I hate social media and feel as though it is more detrimental than people think.

Let Him In
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:24 PM
🌸 女王 🌸

Language: english / swedish
Anyone with a brain knows that facebook is dead. Most of the cool kidz seem to have moved on to snapchat or instagram these days. That's what i've noticed atleast but idk as i never go on there.
Seriously, facebook is dead. It's never gonna get back to it's popularity that it had when i joined in 2011. It's pointless to get it now. It's a waste of time. Twitter is a billion times better. Twitter is like a newspaper. If you follow the right people and check the trends, you will know what's going on in the world a week before the facebook peeps do.

✨🌙 ✨ 외로운 눈물로 미소 짓고 있어 ✨🌙 ✨
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 03:51 PM
SAS Member

I;ll tell you this.. social media such as facebook and twitter instagram and all that ,,,with smartphones has ruined society..its the downfall of society imo.....technoology shouldve stayed in the 90s.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
it's okay not to have facebook. trust.

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Lonely Misanthrope

I've never had a Facebook account either.

Now I'm Nothing
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:55 PM
SAS Member

I had a Myspace back in the day, but when Facebook starting becoming a thing I was already in full hermit mode and never bothered signing up.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
When FB became popular in 2008, I hated it. Then in 2010 I wanted to make an account because I wanted to know about some people I cared about, but I was afraid because of the low count of friends I'd have. I still made one. I've barely got 95 people, but who cares anyway...

I don't hate it today, really, it's just a social network, and it's interesting sometimes.

When one person suffers from a delusion it's called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it's called a Religion.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 08:17 PM
SAS Member

I have one, but only because everyone was moving there from Myspace and I needed a way to contact them. I don't post statuses or photos and really only keep it now to keep up with things of groups I'm on. I will probably never have a Twitter or Instagram and I don't really know what Snapchat is honestly.

I agree with the post above about social media and smartphones ruining society. People are so addicted to this stuff, there are social media detox camps. It's becoming an epidemic, this addiction to constantly checking their phones and accounts.

I did kinda like MySpace when it got popular around 2005, because it was a new idea then, but now it's gotten rather boring I think especially when people's lives seem to revolve around it.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:30 PM
SAS Member

Well just create an account. It's not that hard. And nobody cares if you don't have any friends because if you don't have any friends then nobody will know that you don't have any friends.

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Worried
At least you have someone to blame

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 PM
SAS Member

Facebook really isn't necessary to make friends. There are plenty of people with solid social circles who don't participate in social media. If/when you do create a Facebook, you can customize your privacy settings rather extensively. Only friends and family can see most of my content. People at work can see only a few photo albums, none of my location check-ins, none of my friends, etc. For the few I've added who I've met online, they can see even less (no offense). It's quite easy to lock down your profile based upon the nature of the relationship.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koloz View Post
Just make one. You can hide the number of friends you have.

"Don't be afraid to give up the good and go for the great."
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Admiring beards from afar

My Mood: Lurking
Facebook is pretty pointless when you don't have anyone to add, and I also think you're overrating it a little bit. There are quite a lot of confident/popular people I know who either don't have one, deactivated it or never post anything.

At least you won't be in any danger of your employer or potential employer looking you up and seeing all the things you've posted.

If you want to use social media to have somewhere to vent or post statuses without needing friends seeing it, get a Twitter account.

Quiet people have the loudest minds

I just gotta get out of this prison cell
Some day I'm gonna be free

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page