I am an incredibly lazy, unmotivated person. - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 AM
SAS Member

You have to get your GED, and stop ****in' around or else you're going to be sucking di.ck on the street just to make ends meet. (sounds like a rap lyric lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
To the OP, I don't know if this will work for you, but you have to admit, it is an actual plan with something tangible you can do. Pauly D, how much does all this stuff cost?
the wendi friesen do it now cd set is $80 dollars. it has about 6 different cd's in the set

the thinkrightnow cd is $60 and comes with a 6 month money back guarantee (i presume the wendi cd has a money back guarantee also but i'd have to check that to be sure )
post #43 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUsername View Post
You have to get your GED, and stop ****in' around or else you're going to be sucking di.ck on the street just to make ends meet. (sounds like a rap lyric lol)
Wow.. just wow. I'm sure that will motive him.

"Do you hate people?

I don't hate them... I just feel better when they're not around."

- Charles Bukowski

post #44 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Tar
SAS Member

I'm totally the same. Never can make myself do anything product, always finishing work near it's due date. It's so annoying, I'm like eternally lazy.
post #45 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM
SAS Member

words of wisdom

I think I like the answer someone said earlier... if you know you're lazy and unmotivated, your desire should be to work towards a future where you can be lazy without any pressure.. In other words, work now and play and be lazy later, after you've made enough money to do so.
post #46 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

Do something!

The only way to break the cycle is to GET UP AND DO SOMETHING. Once you complete something even if it is very, very small it motivates you to do a little more. Maybe you could plan a small task everyday and complete it even if you absolutely hate it.
Additionally, observe how you spend your time everyday - watching hours of TV, surfing the internet endlessly, sleeping? Reduce this by an hour everyday till you think it is reasonable. E.g if you spend 6 hours in front of the TV or computer, cut it down to 5, then 4 and so on to 2 to 3 hours (unless of course if you are working on the computer).
Ironically, the lesser you do the more tired you feel and the lesser you want to do.
SO GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!
post #47 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

Peace of advice

I am 24 and also dropped out of HS when I was in 11th. I completed my GED two years later with high scores while trying to get my certificate as a Medical Assistant. But was unable to due to financial issues. What I find helps me out is to create a routine to help me complete my goals. Not just a "ok Im gonna take Tuesday to do this...etc" A complete breakdown of day to day things. Make an itinerary of your week. (It sounds complicated, but it really isn't) and stick to it. The night before look at what you have set for the next day. Set alarms or whatever to get you going. Since "normal" work weeks are M-F, pick Sat and Sun To be your Lazy days. I defintly agree that sleep patterns have a lot to do with being unmotivated the next day. So set a time to go to bed and go to bed (no TV watching because that causes disturbance to sleep. If your like me and needs the TV on. Then put a movie in and put it on repeat) Also if your going to go back to school make sure your going back to do something you are absolutley interested in, because if you aren't you automatically setting yourself up for failure. Sit and think what really interests you and search what your can do in that area. Hope this helps
post #48 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

I'm the same, I left school with no qualifications, went to college and dropped out about 3 times because I didn't care, now I'm working a ****ty job and I can't go back to college because in the UK you can't go back after a certain age, I'm screwed while everyone around me is going to university and getting good jobs, I feel like I have no future.

How does getting back into education work in the US?
post #49 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
SAS Member

as most others you remind me of myself. I graduated from highschool on honour roll and received the queen elizabeth II scholarship and ontario scholars award. Now i am in my first year of university and am finding it incredibly difficult to apply myself. A lot of the stuff im learning is really interesting but just not interesting enough. I like attending lectures and listening to the professors talk but hate going back doing readings, assignments etc. I spent nearly $500 on school textbooks and have only used one out of five.
I think im unmotivated and lazy at times and at other times i simply think that this stuff isn't what i want to do. What i feel like i want to do is work some small time job for a couple years, save up alot of money then go on a road trip but not a vacation. I just want to travel around meet people maybe settle down for a while, find some work for some time, see places etc. I just want to get out there. This world is so big and theres so much to see and i feel like im just wasting my life learning or understanding stuff that truly is not important. I just want to let my self free. The problem is im too scared to do so. So now i just have to lug myself to class and try to get work done. There are support groups and therapists, i think, that i can see but i just havent made time yet, i should really do that. Just thought id share how i feel because it took me some time to understand why i was unmotivated and maybe this will help someone understand why they are unmotivated too, good luck guys.
post #50 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM
black celebration

OP: enlist in the army. They'll straighten you out, and you'll have education opportunities afterwards.

10,000 steps a day! Go outside, experience living, be active, smile at the sun, be happy! Cheers.
post #51 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
SAS Member

This is my first post on this website. I looked at sa before and this post really related to me so a created a username to reply. I am eighteen, and severely depressed. My anxiety is a constant battle for me. My therapist literally told me that my brain is broken and sent me to a er clinic doctor (I have no money and I'll take what medicare gives me) to get meds but I have no ****ing idea how to renew them. or even if that's possible to renew them. or if i even want to go though that whole procedure again.
I can absolutely understand the feeling of not wanting to do something because it makes you uncomfortable. Thats why I didnt even go to college even though i was enrolled. so now i owe alot of money. and yeah, I'm suffering from addiction.. I'll pay it off. it was my mistake not to use the scholarship i was granted. Now I'm having a hard time finding a job. I quit my last one a couple months ago because I would go though meltdowns once of week of how i really did not want to go through life. now I'm unemployed with nothing going on besides that I live with my friends instead of my mom. life isn't handed to you. you really have to fight for it. even if you do have a mental illness.
post #52 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Professor Genius

Man, I am lazy too. Perhaps you should see a therapist to help with the SA. I'd also tell yourself that you have potential and that you're not pathetic. You seem like you have the motivation! Live your life to the fullest

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly"
post #53 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM
SAS Member

I thought I was the only one

I thought I was the only one. I have no job, no license (not for lack of trying), and no motivation. I know exactly where you're coming from. I dropped out at 17 with only two more classes to pass until I graduated. I thought I would do the whole BYU online thing, however their final tests were proctored and my failure was Spanish and English.

I am a person who is all in for the easiest way out of things. So what did I tell my parents when they asked about my classes, I lied. I told them the work is harder than I thought it was. That was total BS! I had already finished the work and the tests it was just the final proctored test I was avoiding. This vicious cycle went on for a year until my mom found out. After being verbally beaten until no self esteem remained, I was forced back into public high school.

Originally I only needed two classes to pass now I needed at least four to qualify as a senior. That wasn't the least of my troubles everyone there was 17 to 18 years old I being 19 was like a super idiotic senior...in lameness terms life sucked!!

Eventually I graduated, and feel better now...however I still can't seem to acquire a job or license. My advice to you would be go to back to school. Like me you probably need a person lurking over your shoulder to make sure your doing the work. I know it sucks, but take it from a person who's been there it's worth it!

P.S. Unfortunately since your an older scholar like myself you may not be able to attend high school normally. If that is the case, try taking night classes or going for your GED in a class setting.

I hope this helps...
post #54 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
SAS Member

It sort of sounds like depression more than laziness.
post #55 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
SAS Member

Red face

I feel your pain!

I've been super motivated all my life ... suddenly I'm getting a doctorate and in the middle of everything I stop caring... stop doing. There were several really stressful moments that just killed my desire to continue. I'm still here - hanging on by a thread, but I'm just barely holding my head above water.
What is the stuff that you do that does motivate you?
I know that in emergencies it's like I have a fire under my *** and if somebody needs help I'm right there. I also know that I have to feel like what I'm doing is purposeful.
Why don't you just take your GED? Or better yet sign up for a class for something you actually do like (like I love art) just to get back into a routine and then take an academic class when you're ready?
post #56 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

Red face

FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar View Post
I'm totally the same. Never can make myself do anything product, always finishing work near it's due date. It's so annoying, I'm like eternally lazy.
There are people who are lazy... but not everyone.

I'm overwhelmed and so afraid of failing/being a screw up that I sometimes do nothing at all... or a ton of little things to avoid what really needs to get done. I'm also very disorganized... that bites me in the *** all of the time!
post #57 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
SAS Member

I signed up on this forum because of this thread. I have become so lazy and apathetic to life.

I never used to be this way, I used to be highly motivated. It's almost like a learned behaviour that I've developed. I keep telling myself it's because I eat poorly and don't exercise. Which is probably partially the problem. But I know tons of people who are even more unhealthy who are still motivated to do stuff.

Judging from all your posts there seems to be some kind of connection between the lack of motivation and social anxiety, as well as maybe depression. On most days I can't even bring myself to do the things I love, like play guitar. They all feel like a chore and I get this feeling of dread whenever I think that I should play guitar, or go exercise, meditate, do school work, read, etc.

The only thing I seem compelled to do is to distract myself with shows and video games. They take me away from this awful lifeless feeling.

Also, when I seem to be doing better, I seem to subconsciously sabotage myself. So if I go for a few days of eating well, I suddenly just randomly screw it all up by eating junk food and drinking alcohol.

Anyways, that's my experience with this whole business. I'm trying to reclaim that drive, that passion for life that I used to have, despite having social anxiety.
post #58 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 AM
SAS Member

Listen here.

Intelligence means nothing if you can't find a useful outlet for it.
What sort of things do you enjoy doing? Think VERY hard about that. I'm 21, I have no license, I've been out of school for over 6 years (I failed my freshman year, busted my *** off and then quit out of frustration) and I've never held a job in my life (I had one for 5 hours at Mcdonalds and when I found out they were not willing to work around my schedule I quit on the spot.)

The point is your going to feel like your stuck in a rut. Its life. What the other posters said it does sound like depression as opposed to "laziness" but some motivation can resolve the issue. My cat just died. Before he did I wouldnt leave the house, nearly having anxiety attacks when I got in a car because of the accidents I've been in. Now that this house doesnt feel the same I try to get out and keep my mind preoccupied. It helps.

I'm not saying get out and immediantly start a career based on a whim. Nor am I saying that its all going to be fixed over night. But you HAVE TO TRY.

If we stop trying then life seems meaningless. In truth it isn't. There are many things out there, that you might not know about, that you mind love to do and might motivate you to try to achieve something.

Give it a shot.
post #59 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsnd77 View Post
The only way to break the cycle is to GET UP AND DO SOMETHING. Once you complete something even if it is very, very small it motivates you to do a little more. Maybe you could plan a small task everyday and complete it even if you absolutely hate it.
Additionally, observe how you spend your time everyday - watching hours of TV, surfing the internet endlessly, sleeping? Reduce this by an hour everyday till you think it is reasonable. E.g if you spend 6 hours in front of the TV or computer, cut it down to 5, then 4 and so on to 2 to 3 hours (unless of course if you are working on the computer).
Ironically, the lesser you do the more tired you feel and the lesser you want to do.
SO GET UP AND DO SOMETHING!
^
They are completely right.

I dropped out my first year of high school and got my GED in a month. You should at least try for your GED. If you really are smart, it will be so easy for you, I promise.
I've been out of school since I was 16 and I'm almost 20 now. I have never been employed, I still don't have my license, and going to college seems so out of reach.. And all I do is nothing. All day everyday. I know the solution is to break the cycle - but its hard. And it takes time.
Many of the other posters had very very good advice, and know exactly what you're going through. I just really hope you read them all and listen. I joined this forum because I just couldn't stand to feel alone, and already in one day its helped me so much just knowing I'm not the only person. (I joined months ago, but I never got on after that. I just started posting again yesterday.)

Just try as hard as you can to break the cycle. I've been stuck in it for almost four years. If you don't do something quick, it will only get harder.
post #60 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
SAS Member

I'm the same, I used to be a a really good student, always getting A's and B's but by the end I was getting D's and E's. I just couldn't be bothered. I couldn't be bothered to get a job either and now that's really come back to hit me in the face because I'm 20 years old with no decent grades or job history and I can't even get a part time position at McDonald's. I'm trying though, really hard, but it's not easy once you're in a rut

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page