How do you feel about being unusual for your age? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed

How do you feel about being unusual for your age?

How do you feel about being unusual for your age?

When you see a bunch of kids half your age who clearly experienced more of life than you, how does that make you feel?

Or when you feel like everyone your age seems to be superior to you?

Or when you see elderly people who should be much more wise and mature than you but you know that they probably didnt go through as much problems in life as you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Game Designer

Language: English, Spanish
I'm the most mature person in my department at work, despite being one of the youngest. Everyone older than me seems to think on a high school level or worse. I feel like I'm lightyears ahead of my coworkers, supervisors and managers. I always notice and point out flaws but nobody seems to care until it's too late. While I'm working coworkers older than me are getting into groups and talking or just fooling around. People argue, start drama and fight over the smallest and most insignificant things while I just watch seeing how pointless it all is. I often feel out of place at work being surrounded by people older than me and so immature at a place of work.

Cured of SA
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 PM
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs

my youngest sister has a 10 yr old

and i have no idea what a vagina actually feels like

put that in perspective

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:23 PM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pawgins View Post

put that in perspective

In that context (sister) I have to say it is a blessing that you don't know.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 PM
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlinghs View Post
In that context (sister) I have to say it is a blessing that you don't know.
yeah i have no desire for kids

i just wish i had more close friends....male or female...doesn't matter

and my anxiety is the main reason for my lack of them.

sucks that we must suffer over things that are out of our control

never being born would have been a better alternative honestly.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:30 PM
Ai
404 Not Found

Frustrated, a little embarrassed. But it is what it is. I just try to remind myself that progress isn't linear and "stages" in life aren't absolute. Everyone develops at their own pace and, whether they seem to be having a better go of it than you or not, no one actually knows what the hell they're doing most of the time.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 PM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
yeah i have no desire for kids

i just wish i had more close friends....male or female...doesn't matter

and my anxiety is the main reason for my lack of them.

sucks that we must suffer over things that are out of our control

never being born would have been a better alternative honestly.

Good. Going back to vaginaissue, not knowing is actually more common than you think. "Normal" people have this same "issue" as well. Because society makes you believe it is something to achieve. It is not and you spend too much energy for that. Sex, sex, sex, sex, endlessly and everywhere.. You are giving yourself te best gift if you just forget the whole thing and focus on enjoying what all other things life is able to offer. Every vagina feels diffrent anyway, some are soft and some are rough, also same vagina might change during years. I want to free all men from the curse of vagina. You have been cheated, it is not that special and I know because I own a one.

Friends issue is more valid, I don't have any magic on that.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:58 PM
🥀

i didnt go out with friends very often in the past. when I see younger ppl doing that all the time, it just reminds me I should set up a time this week to hang w/ friends. Not rly any embarrassment or envy since I know I can do it now (and I defo want to)

some of my old friends who are my age have kids now, one of them even having a 2nd on the way. i feel nothing about it tbh

with others who have had many flings w/ guys, i do feel a little envious bc i was always searching for a long-term relationship. I didn't believe in the "just having fun" thing i was really focused on finding 1 guy and staying there. Now I lowkey wanna flirt with different guys lmao

Im tired, cant think of anything and want only to lay my face in your lap, feel your hand on my head and remain like that through all eternity.
― Franz Kafka, Letters to Milena
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaibhlan View Post
I'm the most mature person in my department at work, despite being one of the youngest. Everyone older than me seems to think on a high school level or worse. I feel like I'm lightyears ahead of my coworkers, supervisors and managers. I always notice and point out flaws but nobody seems to care until it's too late. While I'm working coworkers older than me are getting into groups and talking or just fooling around. People argue, start drama and fight over the smallest and most insignificant things while I just watch seeing how pointless it all is. I often feel out of place at work being surrounded by people older than me and so immature at a place of work.
Isnt there some way you can find people who are like you then?
Quote:

put that in perspective
Well on the bright side, some people dont know what its like to walk or to see. But yeah that must be pretty frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai View Post
Frustrated, a little embarrassed. But it is what it is. I just try to remind myself that progress isn't linear and "stages" in life aren't absolute. Everyone develops at their own pace and, whether they seem to be having a better go of it than you or not, no one actually knows what the hell they're doing most of the time.
Well unfortunately those stages are huge aspects of our conscious existence, despite whatever meaning we may apply to them
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:26 AM
fsociety

I say that we must stop trying to adhere to societal examples of where we should be at any given point in our lives. Yeah, some younger people have more experiences than me and I am vastly more experienced and capable of thought more so than some of the elderly. It is just the way things are. Worrying about what others have done with their lives is a fruitless endeavor and only serves to degrade your morale even further.

How do I feel about being so unusual for my age? I don't really care. I have long since embraced the axiom that I am an awkward individual who hasn't had many of the typical life experiences and doesn't enjoy typical boisterous activities that the so called "normies" (for lack of a better word) enjoy. I have merely accepted my lot in life and let my awkwardness envelop me.

Does that mean I won't accept relationships or a circumstantial change in the future? No. It just means that these changes will be done and accepted on my terms rather than me adhering to other people's standards like I have done in my youth.

"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may."

Let Him In
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 AM
gas guzzling feline

Language: English
idk because, usually I am the one who has experienced more? I usually am the one, I mean I have a pilot licence and stuff, Also been bunjie jumping and skydiving, ya know?

"Those who scale the pinnacles of glory have the furthest to plunge into the abyss." --Melothrucius Lux, Warhammer 40k, Codex: Chaos Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 12
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

I feel positive, i think. I like that fact, that im unusual. Sometimes i`m happy that im not like other guys. Sometimes i want to be like them)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

Sad

It makes me feel sad and because of that feeling of inferiority, I often feel like I just won't fit in. A misfit, basically.

When it comes to love and relationships (and whatnot), I feel angry. It's jealousy more than anything but at the same time I feel like I shouldn't rush it. Even still, I myself have had opportunities that I didn't take because of my cowardice. It's because of that why I'll always feel such regret for my time in high school. I had so much opportunity then that I didn't fully grasp.

So, when it comes to younger folk having more experience than me, it's just jealousy at play. Not much else I can add to that.

As for my peers, I always managed to wind up feeling out of the loop or behind because everyone just had everything set out for them. Take my position while I was in university, for instance: They were all working--I wasn't, they all had networking skills that I simply couldn't copy nor emulate well enough, most of my peers had experienced a lot of things that I simply hadn't. Relationships is one thing, but they've had to deal with other adult things that I hadn't.

Put simply, I didn't see college/university has a means to "let loose" and "experiment" because I didn't need to. I know what acting recklessly gets you and I know what being responsible means. Obviously, I'm not the kind of person you invite to a party but I don't have my objections to it.

What made it more difficult for me to relate to my peers is that I'm just very ignorant on a lot of things. I don't know squat about sports, cars, politics, living alone, taxes, etc.

I never had anything to talk about because I simply haven't done a lot.

Sadly enough, the same thing is starting to happen at my internship as I'm finding that it's not easy to relate to lots of my co-workers.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human

Last edited by That Random Guy; 06-04-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fix
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:46 AM
SAS Member

Stuff like having a girlfriend it does hit the heart a bit but other things I don't let it bother me. Never was into drinking and parties and stuff like that. The other stuff like, maybe traveling and that front also doesn't bother me since it kinda out of my hands because I don't have funds to do it anyway.

Being how I am for so long I deal with it and mostly indifferent now.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
If I think about it too much it does get me down, but distracting myself helps for a while.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 PM
SAS Member

It bothers me when people start talking about the 'cool' things they do or did in the past. It bothers me even more when they expect to hear your stories and you have nothing interesting to share. It kinda makes me feel insecure, will I ever be able to be in a relationship when I haven't had any friend in years, or did leave home to have some fun?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I don't care anymore. I stay calm even about that I not gonna experience even half of it during all my life. I already got used to it.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Tired

Language: English
I don't care about it myself, but I care how other people see me (and would see me). Big difference between the two though.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymes Rhymes View Post
I say that we must stop trying to adhere to societal examples of where we should be at any given point in our lives. Yeah, some younger people have more experiences than me and I am vastly more experienced and capable of thought more so than some of the elderly. It is just the way things are. Worrying about what others have done with their lives is a fruitless endeavor and only serves to degrade your morale even further.

How do I feel about being so unusual for my age? I don't really care. I have long since embraced the axiom that I am an awkward individual who hasn't had many of the typical life experiences and doesn't enjoy typical boisterous activities that the so called "normies" (for lack of a better word) enjoy. I have merely accepted my lot in life and let my awkwardness envelop me.

Does that mean I won't accept relationships or a circumstantial change in the future? No. It just means that these changes will be done and accepted on my terms rather than me adhering to other people's standards like I have done in my youth.

"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may."
Thats a good way to look at it. But surely it must be unpleasant when like everyone your age experienced, say, relationships and u didnt right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post
idk because, usually I am the one who has experienced more? I usually am the one, I mean I have a pilot licence and stuff, Also been bunjie jumping and skydiving, ya know?
Thats great, it must feel really awesome knowing that you experienced so many cool things like that. Those are two things i want oto try, flying a plane and skydiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobHill View Post
I feel positive, i think. I like that fact, that im unusual. Sometimes i`m happy that im not like other guys. Sometimes i want to be like them)
Thats a positive perspective
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Guy View Post
It makes me feel sad and because of that feeling of inferiority, I often feel like I just won't fit in. A misfit, basically.

When it comes to love and relationships (and whatnot), I feel angry. It's jealousy more than anything but at the same time I feel like I shouldn't rush it. Even still, I myself have had opportunities that I didn't take because of my cowardice. It's because of that why I'll always feel such regret for my time in high school. I had so much opportunity then that I didn't fully grasp.

So, when it comes to younger folk having more experience than me, it's just jealousy at play. Not much else I can add to that.

As for my peers, I always managed to wind up feeling out of the loop or behind because everyone just had everything set out for them. Take my position while I was in university, for instance: They were all working--I wasn't, they all had networking skills that I simply couldn't copy nor emulate well enough, most of my peers had experienced a lot of things that I simply hadn't. Relationships is one thing, but they've had to deal with other adult things that I hadn't.

Put simply, I didn't see college/university has a means to "let loose" and "experiment" because I didn't need to. I know what acting recklessly gets you and I know what being responsible means. Obviously, I'm not the kind of person you invite to a party but I don't have my objections to it.

What made it more difficult for me to relate to my peers is that I'm just very ignorant on a lot of things. I don't know squat about sports, cars, politics, living alone, taxes, etc.

I never had anything to talk about because I simply haven't done a lot.

Sadly enough, the same thing is starting to happen at my internship as I'm finding that it's not easy to relate to lots of my co-workers.
I feel, i have pretty much gi en up on trying to relate to people in general. Im only really staying alive so i can find people like me. Jealouxy sucks but you must not let any problems affect you emotionally if you want to be truly happy in life. I used to be miserable all the time but i decided why should i be miserable, so now im happy. I still have a messed up life of missing out and a mountain of problems, but i dont mind too much and im often happy despite it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueballs313 View Post
Stuff like having a girlfriend it does hit the heart a bit but other things I don't let it bother me. Never was into drinking and parties and stuff like that. The other stuff like, maybe traveling and that front also doesn't bother me since it kinda out of my hands because I don't have funds to do it anyway.

Being how I am for so long I deal with it and mostly indifferent now.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Yeah when other people, especially unworthy people, have a girlfriend and you know that you might never have one, it suks lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00DBINE View Post
If I think about it too much it does get me down, but distracting myself helps for a while.
Distracting to me feels like running away
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me262 View Post
It bothers me when people start talking about the 'cool' things they do or did in the past. It bothers me even more when they expect to hear your stories and you have nothing interesting to share. It kinda makes me feel insecure, will I ever be able to be in a relationship when I haven't had any friend in years, or did leave home to have some fun?
That sucks. Well screw people, at least you can now choose to make your life into a good life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotInTheDark View Post
I don't care anymore. I stay calm even about that I not gonna experience even half of it during all my life. I already got used to it.
Hi five!
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendidbob View Post
I don't care about it myself, but I care how other people see me (and would see me). Big difference between the two though.
Ahh. I feel like there is no need to worry about peoples opinions, they can think whatever twisted looney thoughts they want
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Sometimes I'm bothered by the fact that I don't care, and wonder if maybe I should be doing stuff to be more age appropriate. Not that I really want to, but life seems pointless for an unknown reason which might be related to being stuck at a stage I can't get out of.

That's where the pain comes in
Like a second skeleton
Trying to fit beneath the skin
I can't fit the feelings in

-Fiona Apple

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page