How am I supposed to move forward without anything to look forward to? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Barely Living

My Mood: Crappy

How am I supposed to move forward without anything to look forward to?

So through therapy I am able to control negative thoughts and behaviors by distracting myself/turning them around. Now the only problem I find is that, how am I supposed to move forward from here when I don't have anything I like/want to do whether it be now or in the future.

Usually I when I have thoughts about this I get very down because I can't just spend the rest of my life distracting myself from negative thoughts by going on the computer. I really don't have anything practical I like to do. I can't get a job playing video games and watching T.V. shows all day.

I need to move forward, but I have nothing to look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
SAS Member

You're 18. Make sure you go to university and get an education, because it is very possible that there is where you will discover your interests, whether directly or indirectly. You are still young, you have SO much more time ahead of you and so many more things left to explore. You will find something worth doing someday. There are a lot of other things apart from these aspects that you can look forward to too. What about making friends or starting a family?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Barely Living

My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheery View Post
You're 18. Make sure you go to university and get an education, because it is very possible that there is where you will discover your interests, whether directly or indirectly. You are still young, you have SO much more time ahead of you and so many more things left to explore. You will find something worth doing someday. There are a lot of other things apart from these aspects that you can look forward to too. What about making friends or starting a family?

But you can't go to University and study nothing. I have nothing I'm interested in studying and I'm not sure if I would have the motivation to go through it. It would also involve me getting my GED.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Inoffensive kitty pic

My Mood: Sneaky
You need to move forward for the sake of moving forward.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman180 View Post
But you can't go to University and study nothing. I have nothing I'm interested in studying and I'm not sure if I would have the motivation to go through it. It would also involve me getting my GED.
There are TONS of people like you out there who aren't sure about what they want, myself included. You go to university in hopes of finding out, or if you don't, at least you will have a degree which will help you do something in life. You just have to do the things that sometimes you don't want to do, because you will be grateful later in life. Hold on to the thought that things can and will change, and hopefully for the better.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticnz View Post
You need to move forward for the sake of moving forward.
This

It's all we can do, maybe one day we'll stumble on some happiness on our paths, but all we can do is carry on walking, even if the path is dangerous.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
woof

You might be able to look at your game/TV/Internet interests and find something applicable to other activities. Someone good at micro/macro in RTS could develop that kind of management and attention to detail elsewhere.

And our lives become the poems we were born to tell.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page