help, how do I JUST DO IT? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent

help, how do I JUST DO IT?

There are times in the day where I'll be in the mood to play a video game or just browse the internet wasting HOURS and HOURS of my day (there are things I should be learning instead).

I can't afford to do that anymore. I have to ****ing MOVE IT because I'm running out of time.

How do I ignore what my mood wants?

I keep repeating that cycle each day. At the end of the day I'm so depressed wondering how I could have wasted my time playing that game. When I wake up I'm in the mood to play that game so that's what I'll do and then by the time I know it, we're back to being depressed.

I really need to ****ING MOVE IT HERE.

How do I just do it?

I can't live like this anymore. My life is a wreck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 04:11 AM
I am average!

Okey, how about this. If you dont do something productive today, I am going to think you are a real ****, ok?

I am going to feel very sad if you are wasting your time like you have been doing.

Can you do that for me? Something productive, for once?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
Perhaps you really need to structure your day. Make task lists and put them on the calendar as if they were appointments or meetings. Not a to-do list, mind you because those are pretty easy to ignore. But, specific productive activities that you select days and times to perform them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:09 AM
I'm done for a while.

Well, there's no easy way. I'm a lot like you in that regard so I can tell you that it's going to suck because you really have to "just do it" and feel bad until it's over when you feel better because you did something "productive". I was mostly motivated by people stressing me out or wanting to prove something. See what can motivate you because it's going to make the feeling bad part a little easier.

Error, no keyboard. Press F1 to continue.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:22 AM
forever single

Most of my own private time is spent surfing the internet and I've also wasted countless number of hours online just to escape the absolute boredom and grayness that's my life. I have no friends, almost no work acquaintance want to be seen dead with me and it's about the only way I can entertain myself.

Again, those with friends or partners seem to 'snowall' events and progressions in life. It's just 'granted' to them. Those that have nothing at all don't even get a look-in. We still get nothing regardless of what we do as we don't have the ability to just 'materialise' things like others can.

Sadly, I can't just 'do' things. I need some sort of motive for me to be motivated. I no longer make effort for 'maybes' and 'if's'. I'm now over 30, my youth has gone and I need some sort of guaranteed 'carrots on the end of stick' for me to do something. I'm not a teenager any more where I have loads of years left. I need results, now. I've long since done things to try and improve my life but I've never, ever had that carrot on the end of the stick. Everyone else's stick does - mine doesn't.

Whether I try and be more productive or don't - the end result has always been the same for me. Trying leads to huge amounts of upset and frustration. Doing nothing doesn't.

Sadly, I have no answer on how to break this monotony. That's just how my life works.

"My life is an endless purgatory, interrupted by profound moments of misery"

My Blog: https://haymansafc.wordpress.com/
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 05:36 AM
lamb to lion

change the things leading up to the behaviors you're trying to get out of. I'm trying to get out of gaming too. But my sleeping time was so messed up that there was nothing else to do at the time. So a couple days ago I fixed my sleeping time so I can do other stuff. The change in time has thrown me out of my whole routine and now it feels easier to change up my activities

Will is resistance to conformity. Will is strange. It is neither conformity now or chaos, but Right. Right is the way. Mysterious and unending. Higher order that is revealed in hindsight.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:36 AM
🎭

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinMYlife View Post
There are times in the day where I'll be in the mood to play a video game or just browse the internet wasting HOURS and HOURS of my day (there are things I should be learning instead).

I can't afford to do that anymore. I have to ****ing MOVE IT because I'm running out of time.

How do I ignore what my mood wants?

I keep repeating that cycle each day. At the end of the day I'm so depressed wondering how I could have wasted my time playing that game. When I wake up I'm in the mood to play that game so that's what I'll do and then by the time I know it, we're back to being depressed.

I really need to ****ING MOVE IT HERE.

How do I just do it?

I can't live like this anymore. My life is a wreck.
Ah yes that is me too, I thought this prozac was supposed to help but I've been on a low dose of 20 mg for so long, I really hope this 60 mg makes me go to college again, I'm in the same boat, I don't want to stay in my room playing runescape all day and wasting my life. **** my moods man, **** even prozac when it crashes on me it makes me depressed. I hope the higher dose helps me, I really need it. You need something to slap you awake son!

"We've Found The Formula" - START USING IT NOW!!! | Dr. Joe Dispenza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGj4D-ATH8
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Permanently Banned

I think you need a different perspective because you're putting tons of pressure on yourself to 'win it all back' in a hurry, and that is stressing you out making you want to take comfort in simple pleasures. Thus taking up more time and making you more stressed, exacerbating the cycle.

Whatever you choose to learn or get into it's going to be a long series of gradual steps. I'm sure you realize this isn't an 80s movie where you do a training montage with a catchy tune playing and suddenly become an expert. Set a schedule for yourself, set aside the time for learning and nothing else, make it a habit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Aesthetically Challenged

My Mood: Goofy
Same problem here. I've been trying to set small goals for myself every day (ten minutes of yoga; read at least ten pages from a book I wanna finish; go outside for at least fifteen minutes; stuff like that), and so far it's slowly working to make me feel a little more productive. Something along those lines might work for you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 AM
(Ursus domesticus)

Language: Transatlantic/pacific english
Drinking more caffeine than I usually do, and listening to fast paced music can get me doing something. What sucks though is the best motivation really is to have done that thing the day before. It helps then to accept doing something badly, or to accept an effort where you don't do something for as long as you wanted, so that at least you have the inertia from starting the day before.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Giggity

My Mood: Lurking
I used to be like that but just got fed up so I signed up for activities that I always wanted to do like acting, playing the guitar, and taekwondo. Best decision I made in a long time. I'd recommend signing up for a martial arts class (karate, judo, taekwondo, etc.) since exercising was the number one thing that helped me ease out of depression. Seriously, it did me better than any SSRI I took. If you take a martial arts class you force yourself to be surrounded by people, be more flexible, learn discipline, be able to defend yourself, and eventually show off your skills to others. It's never to late too join, there's lots of people in their 30's and 40's who come to class. Of course there's other things like doing yoga and going to the gym, but there's something about martial arts that makes me so drawn to it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Innocent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
I think you need a different perspective because you're putting tons of pressure on yourself to 'win it all back' in a hurry, and that is stressing you out making you want to take comfort in simple pleasures. Thus taking up more time and making you more stressed, exacerbating the cycle.

Whatever you choose to learn or get into it's going to be a long series of gradual steps. I'm sure you realize this isn't an 80s movie where you do a training montage with a catchy tune playing and suddenly become an expert. Set a schedule for yourself, set aside the time for learning and nothing else, make it a habit.
Thanks, you always have great advice.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 PM
happy i dodged a bullet

My Mood: Cheerful
Dont think about it...just do it.

🎵I wake up everyday celebrating sh(I)t why? BC I just dodged a bullet from a crazy b(I)tch🎵 I realized I cant fix broken people...i tried.. I cant help someone who wont take accountability.for where they went wrong...but its okay..bc I'll always be fine. No sleep will be lost, ....the video below is me, basically.

Always thank someone for showing their true colors.. Now you see them for who them are and can cut them off

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page