has anyone else become misanthropic through life experience? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 PM
monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chch
Language: english, silence
Gender: Non-binary
Age: 35
Posts: 6,319
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostUnwanted View Post
Yeah I laugh and throw a party when I see people die on the news it’s awesome

Not. Grow up. Misanthropic? Gonna kill yourself and your family because you hate humans so much? You’re free of any human flaws? So in your mind you’re not “people” or “human”? Yeah right. like shut up 12 year old edge lord you can’t even order through the drive through without stuttering. this is the dumbest damn thread ever.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Don
Fupa King
 
Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: United States
Language: English
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostUnwanted View Post
Yeah I laugh and throw a party when I see people die on the news it’s awesome

Not. Grow up. Misanthropic? Gonna kill yourself and your family because you hate humans so much? You’re free of any human flaws? So in your mind you’re not “people” or “human”? Yeah right. like shut up 12 year old edge lord you can’t even order through the drive through without stuttering. this is the dumbest damn thread ever.
No one in this thread brought up wanting any of the things you mentioned. Have you considered seeing other people do those sorts of sociopathic things or having no consideration of the basic humanity of other people is precisely what makes a person think, "maybe people aren't so great?"

I'm not a misanthrope, but I have my days where I see something in the news, see people mistreat others in the most basic conceivable ways (hell maybe I just watched a person yell at their waiter becuase their food came out wrong or something), and I second guess whether or not I like people. Really though, I think most people out there are basically good but deeply flawed. I don't think misanthropy necessarily means taking pleasure in the suffering of others, and if you look through this thread, most people here are actually expressing pain over a lot of the unnecessary evil and mistreatment/misunderstanding in the world.

Life's Wack
Don is online now  
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
this is fine
 
unemployment simulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bn2
Language: rambling
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostUnwanted View Post
Yeah I laugh and throw a party when I see people die on the news it’s awesome

Not. Grow up. Misanthropic? Gonna kill yourself and your family because you hate humans so much? You’re free of any human flaws? So in your mind you’re not “people” or “human”? Yeah right. like shut up 12 year old edge lord you can’t even order through the drive through without stuttering. this is the dumbest damn thread ever.
I don't think you even have a proper understanding of how misanthropy functions. You've confused sociopathy with misanthropy for starters. If you even bothered to read it, let alone understand the topic and the people contributing you'd realise none of what you're saying makes any sense here.
Posted via Mobile Device
unemployment simulator is offline  
 
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,039
I've had an interesting experience over the last few years. I don't feel comfortable going into all the details of it - but I'll try to put it in fairly general terms, so I won't embarass myself anymore than necessary.

I found myself starting to hate some people - because of what they were doing to others. I think it was mostly from a sense of injustice, plus there was an element of fear as well. But the overwhelming feeling was/is of pure hatred. I think part of it might also be tied up in my mania, but as I'm not really taking much of my medication at the moment I just have to try and deal with it myself.

It's totally different to the way I normally am - I have a genuine affection for people on a personal level, it's just that when I see others being hurt or made to be afraid I want to eliminate the person causing that fear.

I constantly remind myself that it's just certain people that are/have been doing these things - it's not everyone.

I don't really know much about this whole concept of misanthropy as, like I say, it was fairly new to me when I first joined this forum. I do know quite a lot about hatred though.
harrison is offline  
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 AM
Russian Modster
 
A Toxic Butterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: U.S.
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,528
I feel like my "mild" agoraphobia has taken quite a jump up recently. I get overwhelmed sometimes just thinking of the way people interact, not just online but in the world, on the news, seemingly all around me. I'm terrified of driving these days because of the way people behave, road rage or getting into an accident. I feel like nobody can be trusted and there's this chaos all around me and people have this thin line and it's easily crossed where they're getting impatient and erratic. I've been avoiding the world for the most part lately, and it's having a seriously negative affect on me. I hate that it's this necessary evil to go out and be in the world when it feels so dangerous anymore. I don't like that I'm turning into this, but it feels like I have no other choice, because I'm a serious screw up whenever I try.

:: As it stands, more people are willing to kill for what they believe in, rather than die for it ::


Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
A Toxic Butterfly is offline  
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
this is fine
 
unemployment simulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bn2
Language: rambling
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I've had an interesting experience over the last few years. I don't feel comfortable going into all the details of it - but I'll try to put it in fairly general terms, so I won't embarass myself anymore than necessary.

I found myself starting to hate some people - because of what they were doing to others. I think it was mostly from a sense of injustice, plus there was an element of fear as well. But the overwhelming feeling was/is of pure hatred. I think part of it might also be tied up in my mania, but as I'm not really taking much of my medication at the moment I just have to try and deal with it myself.

It's totally different to the way I normally am - I have a genuine affection for people on a personal level, it's just that when I see others being hurt or made to be afraid I want to eliminate the person causing that fear.

I constantly remind myself that it's just certain people that are/have been doing these things - it's not everyone.

I don't really know much about this whole concept of misanthropy as, like I say, it was fairly new to me when I first joined this forum. I do know quite a lot about hatred though.
thats totally understandable mate, you recognised it, some of us don't get that far.

I think people get confused on the subject and equate it to a death cult. when I see or hear about people torturing animals and being totally unnecessarily cruel for the sake of being cruel I see red and become incredibly angry, a misanthrope isn't devoid of feeling or concern, the fact a person feels concerned about people being exploited in third world countries or animals being skinned alive means they have concern for welfare. their ideology is motivated in part by concern or compassion.
people seem to think that every misanthropes antidote is annihilation but it can be quite the opposite, humans have an incredible capacity for compassion and love, beyond that of anything on our planet. we have serious potential yet we favour a more negative path. its a sad and tragic thing really. a person could be a hopeful misanthrope because we can see the potential in others if we look hard enough, for instance, a person can recognise how a criminal can be rehabilitated rather than put to death. I just want humanity to improve, not for us to die and I struggle at times and lose faith in our ability to ever take the right path, I recognise we all make mistakes ,I make enough of them myself! I just wish we'd chose the right thing to do in regards to the things that really matter. this is why I become a misanthrope because given the conscious choice so many of humanities decisions are based on hate,or their ego, or exploitation, selfishness and greed, rather than love, compassion.

I like donuts
unemployment simulator is offline  
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
this is fine
 
unemployment simulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bn2
Language: rambling
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly View Post
I feel like my "mild" agoraphobia has taken quite a jump up recently. I get overwhelmed sometimes just thinking of the way people interact, not just online but in the world, on the news, seemingly all around me. I'm terrified of driving these days because of the way people behave, road rage or getting into an accident. I feel like nobody can be trusted and there's this chaos all around me and people have this thin line and it's easily crossed where they're getting impatient and erratic. I've been avoiding the world for the most part lately, and it's having a seriously negative affect on me. I hate that it's this necessary evil to go out and be in the world when it feels so dangerous anymore. I don't like that I'm turning into this, but it feels like I have no other choice, because I'm a serious screw up whenever I try.
it affects me on a daily basis in a similar way. I witness the same sort of thing whenever I leave the flat, there seems to be conflict everywhere and no one is even conscious of it, my only choice feels like to either engage with it or disengage from society, I chose the latter as I don't want to be a part of it. I fear going out because of how someone is gonna give me the stink eye, or use aggression against me rather than understanding. I get it from neighbours for most of my life, I can't escape these negative projections that are being forced upon me.

I like donuts
unemployment simulator is offline  
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 36,192
MostUnwanted is obviously a troll.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
it affects me on a daily basis in a similar way. I witness the same sort of thing whenever I leave the flat, there seems to be conflict everywhere and no one is even conscious of it, my only choice feels like to either engage with it or disengage from society, I chose the latter as I don't want to be a part of it. I fear going out because of how someone is gonna give me the stink eye, or use aggression against me rather than understanding. I get it from neighbours for most of my life, I can't escape these negative projections that are being forced upon me.
Yes I can understand where you're coming from mate. I think I've been very lucky in my life overall - that I haven't really had to deal personally with people being nasty to me. I was never bullied for example. I worry about what would happen if I was. I think I do have a deep sense of insecurity, plus if I'm honest I often think I'm seriously unstable - my capacity for hatred frightens me. But it goes away after a while and I can see the good in most people again.

Would you say that you've had many positive experiences with people? I've always thought that it must be that the positive experiences have far outweighed any negative ones I've had - so I'm still able to see the good. I actually really love people - I just get very angry when there's injustice, especially to people I care about.

I've always thought - it's very lucky I'm not the one that decides what happens to people that hurt others, because I'd just want them all dead.
harrison is offline  
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
this is fine
 
unemployment simulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bn2
Language: rambling
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yes I can understand where you're coming from mate. I think I've been very lucky in my life overall - that I haven't really had to deal personally with people being nasty to me. I was never bullied for example. I worry about what would happen if I was. I think I do have a deep sense of insecurity, plus if I'm honest I often think I'm seriously unstable - my capacity for hatred frightens me. But it goes away after a while and I can see the good in most people again.

Would you say that you've had many positive experiences with people? I've always thought that it must be that the positive experiences have far outweighed any negative ones I've had - so I'm still able to see the good. I actually really love people - I just get very angry when there's injustice, especially to people I care about.

I've always thought - it's very lucky I'm not the one that decides what happens to people that hurt others, because I'd just want them all dead.
when I speak to people on a one to one basis things are better, because pretty much all reasonable people know i'm not a threat, or a whatever else they are thinking about me, and that I have positive qualities,i'm far from perfect but I feel like people portray me as some sort of monster. I rarely get that close to large amounts of people, just don't want to open myself up as I fear the negative possibilities, feels like there is too much of a risk.

I like donuts
unemployment simulator is offline  
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
this is fine
 
unemployment simulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: bn2
Language: rambling
Posts: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
MostUnwanted is obviously a troll.
yea, I did consider that on the basis of that post. I haven't read many of their other posts, so i'm missing context.

I like donuts
unemployment simulator is offline  
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:16 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 36,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
yea, I did consider that on the basis of that post. I haven't read many of their other posts, so i'm missing context.
I've noticed a lot of their posts seem overly provocative to certain groups, and it reminds me of some ex-poster trolls, so I'm suspicious.

They may turn out to be a basic misanthrope instead though that's not trolling (ironic.)

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Half agony, half hope.
 
PandaBearx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 2,385
I don't hate people, not due to past traumas, just find it difficult to relate or socialize with most. Personally I try to be caring and empathetic almost to a fault.

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
PandaBearx is offline  
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Don
Fupa King
 
Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: United States
Language: English
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Posts: 328
I think constant anxiety around people has caused me to associate fear to people at all times. It's hard to eventually not hate something you perpetually feel anxious around. That being said, sometimes people will go out of their way to be awful on a daily basis which enhances that feeling even more.

Life's Wack
Don is online now  
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:24 PM
SAS Member
 
ShotInTheDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Lithuania
Gender: Male
Age: 21
Posts: 1,029
My Mood: Sleepy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostUnwanted View Post
Yeah I laugh and throw a party when I see people die on the news it’s awesome

Not. Grow up. Misanthropic? Gonna kill yourself and your family because you hate humans so much? You’re free of any human flaws? So in your mind you’re not “people” or “human”? Yeah right. like shut up 12 year old edge lord you can’t even order through the drive through without stuttering. this is the dumbest damn thread ever.
Lmao. This one made my day... Or night I should say...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
ShotInTheDark is offline  
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Today, 08:57 AM
SAS Member
 
RelinquishedHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vantucky, Washington
Gender: Other
Age: 29
Posts: 16,083
My Mood: Mellow
Whenever I meet any new people all they do is badmouth, insult me, and make up horrible sh!t about me. I preemptively hate people and avoid them because I already know what they think.

I dream of buying secluded land somewhere and becoming self employed one day in order to get the hell away from people. That would be great.
RelinquishedHell is offline  
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Today, 09:07 AM
Permanently tired
 
AffinityWing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: barely livings ave.
Gender: Female
Age: 21
Posts: 1,769
My Mood: Dead
Not exactly. I feel more neutral and emotionally withdrawn about other people these days in that I just don't feel such a strong urge to associate with anyone or anything anymore. Maybe I've grown more selfish in that regard... It often feels like I've got no interest left in forming any sort of deeper bond with other people anymore. (Even if it means ending up quite alone and that I may regret it)



"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."



"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."


Mili
AffinityWing is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome