Graduation Party - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Graduation Party

My parents asked me if I wanted one but I said no because I don't have anyone to invite I rather not go through the embarrasment. I just figure maybe I'll meet some people in college and have one after I graduate from there. Anybody else not have a graduation party?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Spectacular Member

i didnt have a graduation party, I didnt go to my own graduation or prom. Thank you anxiety and lack of a life.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM

re: Graduation Party

I never had one, college or high school. No one to invite so no reason. I wouldn't have been against it if I had people, but I didn't. So that was that.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 PM
SAS Member

I didn't go to my high school graduation, didn't have a graduation party, and didn't go to the prom.

Looking back, I don't feel like I missed out on anything. There will be plenty of chances down the road for parties and dates. And if you don't end up going to parties, it's ok. You don't have to go to tons of parties to be a good person or to be happy. (sorry, I hope I'm not sounding preachy, these are just things I had to realize myself) I finally realized that, in my mid twenties. At this point, I'll be perfectly happy if I never go to a party again in my life. I could care less. As long as I have a few people I really care about in my life, I can be happy.

I think things like graduation parties are overblown in terms of importance. Ask yourself, do you really want to go, deep down, or do you feel obligated? What's the main motivator? If you really do want to go, then like you were saying, try to look ahead at all the many opportunities you have before you in your future. You have so much ahead of you.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 PM
SAS Member

Didn't have one, didn't care. Things like graduation parties never meant anything to me.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
No graduation party or prom. Neither affected me. I can wear a tuxedo any time. I can afford it now that I am a software engineer!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM

My graduation, prom, and graduation party are all coming up within the next 2 weeks
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 06:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
i didnt have a graduation party, I didnt go to my own graduation or prom. Thank you anxiety and lack of a life.
Same. I honestly have no regrets about not going to prom or graduation ceremony or anything.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:07 PM

I've already told my parents I don't want to do a graduation party next year, they are cool with it. I didn't really tell them why, just that I don't want the huge celebration.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Didn't go to any proms during high school and never wanted to either. I did go to the Freshman dance though which was pretty much just a big social gathering with friends. Everyone was dancing to a bunch of rap the DJ was playing, I can't stand rap nor do I know the moves to dance to it nor do I want to elarn the moves so I had a pretty lame time. I slow danced with the girl I went with though which was pretty nice, but it was only about two songs. Most of the night a group of 5 people I was soemwhat familiar with standed around the outskirts of the dancefloor.

I did have a graduation party though. Not a party with friends however. My schizoid and social anxiety traits started to kick in real good around the second semester of freshman year, which inevitably led me to steer clear of obtaining friendships/making friendships/wanting friendships. Bascially my grad. party was a couple family members and I got a couple hundreds bucks out of it so I'm not complaining.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 PM

my mom knows i hav sa and she still wants me 2 hav a graduation party and invite kids in my block that go to my school, makes me cringe just thinking of asking people to go to my party
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 PM

I had a graduation party but it was pretty bad. I had one friend in my first two years of High School and in my last two i had none. I have a fairly big family so there were a lot of relatives and other people there. I remember on one occasion I went outside where the food was and I overheard my mom say to someone else "he doesn't have any friends". Man that ruined my whole day and if I wasn't so good at bottling things up when I want to I could have done something I would have regretted. The whole day though, I had nobody else from my class stop by or anyone from grades below me. I felt like such a zero.

At the graduation ceremony was an equal sized blow to my self esteeme. It was such a simple thing but it caused so much embarassment inside that I had to leave the graduation as soon as it was over. In the back of the auditorium everyone had their cardboard box where family and friends would leave cards for them. You might have guessed it, mine was completely empty.

I think those two events hurt me pretty bad emotionally but i've gotten over it. I've come to accept Jesus into my life through all this and I honestly wouldn't trade my life for anyone elses unless I knew they would be born again. I don't care what kind of good life they have, nothing compares with the peace I have now, despite still struggling with SA.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Who honesty wants to go to another persons graduation anyway? I would never even think of inviting any of my few friends to come to mine as I know it would be boring as **** to them and I think they think the same goes for me, which is true.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 PM

Re: re: Graduation Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteroff
I didn't go to my high school graduation, didn't have a graduation party, and didn't go to the prom.
Ditto.

I could sum up my entire school career in a mere whimper.

I went to school for thirteen years. I went on a few field trips throughout that career (mostly in my earlier years.) Then I graduated.

Bam. That's it. No prom, nor no "graduation" parties or anything similar. We even had a "7th grade" prom that I never went to, while almost 95% of my class went.

Do I care about missing out on these things? Not really. I didn't go for a reason: I didn't want to go. I didn't have any aspirations to go. I didn't have anyone to go with, and I didn't feel comfortable with going. Period.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM

im going to graduation, not prom, and im going to graduation parties but im not having one. a lot of people arnt having one so i didnt care that i wasnt
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Poorly Educated

I had one but it was mostly my extended family or neighbors who showed up. I only had about three or four friends from school that came.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy
I had one but it was mostly my extended family or neighbors who showed up. I only had about three or four friends from school that came.
That's 4 more friends then me. Along with my parents, and brother, my grandmother came to my HS grad and we went into Des Moines to a restaurant. She didn't come to my college grad due to having trouble walking. The grad was in the Convention Center downtown Des Moines and was a long ways to walk from the parking through the sky walks. She wouldn't have been able to do that. I have a very small family due to one side are all dead and the other side my dad has nothing to do with them. My moms parents had her when they were 45 years old. Her dad when she was a senior in Highschool and her mother died 4 years later. Not much left on her side of her family. Most are distant cousins that live out in California that I have never met.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Monster

I had an open house, which is what is happening this afternoon for my baby sister. In all seriousness, my brother told me there was 500 people invited. I laughed at him, the little **** doesn't even know when he's exaggerating.

... unless there really are 500 people invited.

Do you think people will see me under this chair? Maybe if I close my eyes.

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 AM
going hazy

Everyone knows that you're invisible as long as you don't look at the person.

Well, I used to think so when I was little, anyway.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM

I recently went to my college graduation, but I'm not having a party; nobody to invite. I had one in high school, two friends came. Howver, I didn't go to my prom or an academic award ceremony where I was receiving an award from the school. They were pissed, to say the least..... they rescinded the award since I didn't go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page