Got fired after 3 days - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Aly
Social outcast

Got fired after 3 days

I worked at a bagel shop for 3 days. It was evident that I was a lot more anxious than my coworkers but that is no reason to fire me. I did make a lot of mistakes but I could have learned from all of them. I also had trouble cutting the bagels and remembering the sandwiches but they didn't even give me time to improve. They didn't even give me a chance. The manager told me that the job was "too difficult for me" and that I had difficulty talking to people. He acted as if I was retarded.!I actually talked to people just fine. Sure, I was nervous, and that was evident, but I made sure to greet every customer, I made sure to smile at every customer, and I made sure to tell every customer to have a nice day. I'm beyond hurt and pissed off. I just don't understand any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
A lot of managers are total dicks. The question you need to ask yourself is, would you really have wanted to stay longer knowing they were like that?

If someone who is clearly a total penis will hire you then you should have no trouble being hired by a nicer boss.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 AM
SAS Member

Got fired after 3 days

Hi, Aly. As difficult as it might be, please don't take it personally. Yes, it personally involved you so it's easy to take it to heart. However, business is about business. Sometimes decisions are made that come out of nowhere. It might happen quite a bit as you go forward. Reflect for a short time and then move ahead.

I have no doubt that you tried hard. With that desire to succeed, you'll go far. Consider it to be the bagel shop's loss. Get another job and prove them wrong. It can be rewarding to succeed at something that others said you couldn't do.

Keep your head up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 AM
The Warrior Kitty-Cat

My Mood: Angelic
It was probably for the best. I have never worked that kind of job. That doesn't mean you can't succeed in another job. The hardest job I ever had was as a hotel maid, my first job and I made the least amount of money. I always remember that because my desk jobs I get paid a lot more and they are easier for me. My point is just because you didn't succeed in that job doesn't mean you can't flourish in another job. I have never worked a restaurant job and they look pretty tough.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
Same thing has happened to me. Three days, not enough time to adapt, and a nerve-wracking job. This is our lot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 AM
SAS Member

Sometimes it turns out a job is a bad fit. I worked for one miserable day in an ice house, I'd never go back to that hell again (fun fact, when you buy a bag of ice at the gas station, people have been standing in it). I even walked out on a job orientation once (for Arby's!) My friend and I had applied at the same place, got hired at the same place, were being processed at the same place, and they said we would be working at separate places. I was her ride, she didn't have a car then. They said too bad, so we left when he went to get the little uniforms (to the astonishment of the rest of the group. How could we?!?!).
Point being, sometimes it's better to walk or even be fired. The website Glassdoor.com can provide some insight into a place before you even apply, some of the people posting about companies there have experiences just like yours.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain Victory.
Through Victory, my chains are broken.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Sounds like a job that was not worth your time. Management also sounded like a pain to deal with. There are jobs that do have a good environment and good coworkers, but sometimes they can be hard to come by. :/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I worked at a bagel shop for 3 days. It was evident that I was a lot more anxious than my coworkers but that is no reason to fire me. I did make a lot of mistakes but I could have learned from all of them. I also had trouble cutting the bagels and remembering the sandwiches but they didn't even give me time to improve. They didn't even give me a chance. The manager told me that the job was "too difficult for me" and that I had difficulty talking to people. He acted as if I was retarded.!I actually talked to people just fine. Sure, I was nervous, and that was evident, but I made sure to greet every customer, I made sure to smile at every customer, and I made sure to tell every customer to have a nice day. I'm beyond hurt and pissed off. I just don't understand any of this.
All u can do now is reflect on it, absorb it, move on, and next time use what u have learned (like the Force ?????????), and do better

I had a high wage job years ago, and thought I was doing the right things, turns out I was not but they never exactly told me. I wasn't fired, but I quit for other reasons, not SA/etc, but wow I wonder where I'd be now if they told me more what to do, and I never quit due to the early start, long hours, and me being real fat back then. I'd be a lot richer thats for sure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:33 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Weren't you thinking about not going back anyway? Sorry that they let you go. It sucks when you put so much effort into trying and you still fail. The struggles of life.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Permanently Shunned

That must of been a blow to your ego to be pretty much told that a job to make sandwiches was too difficult for you. I know there was probably more to it. Regardless, it sucks, but all you can do is move on.

PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!!!

Where he at? Where he at? Where he at?

█ No, seriously where he at? I'm hungry. █

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I worked at a bagel shop for 3 days. It was evident that I was a lot more anxious than my coworkers but that is no reason to fire me.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I know what it's like. I got the ax from a data entry job after just 3 days once. Boss never even gave me time to get used to the job. Being nervous was part of the problem. Next job I had Valium on hand. Too a pill before shift for a couple of weeks until I got used to the job.

Kneel before me worms. I am God.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page