Fustrated because do I or We live in a simulated reality? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Fustrated because do I or We live in a simulated reality?

Frustrated because do I or We live in a simulated reality?

It seems so, nothing seems real it seems like a super high definition immersive simulation game. Everything I believed about studying hard to do well was a big lie. People I was a school with who could barely get a pass are flying in life with families, careers, jobs, houses and holidays etc. Here I am barely scraping buy, seriously contemplating where the local supermarket skips are so I can find free food that they have thrown out. Just scraping by and existing-this is not a life just an existence-for what?

Do you think we live in a fake reality? Was what you were taught in school a lot of hog wash?

"I am Chereogo, the horse with no name..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 PM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I do feel like a Sim that someone has paused playing to go afk.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:56 AM
Yowie Wowie

It certainly does seem that way doesn't it? I made a thread here about 5 years ago detailing how I felt as though we lived in the Matrix. The thread was from a much more figurative point of view rather than a literal, machines are controlling us, POV but the sentiment was very similar to this thread here.

We do what we must to keep the colony running. We provide value in some fashion or are cast out like a leper. In order to keep us in check, the powers that be facilitate so-called production by enamoring our senses with materialistic stimuli designed to get us to work so we can afford these lavish tokens of perceived importance only to realize that we must recoup our loses so we must work harder.

We waste our lives working jobs that we hate so that we can afford to pay for a living space that we are rarely in. Vehicles spend 90% of their lifespans from construction to destruction inert, completely inactive in some driveway or parking space yet we humans have been fooled into believing that going into debt paying 5,6, sometimes 7 figures for an over-sized tin can is somehow virtuous.

As it pertains to interactions with the every day person; most interactions with people just don't quite feel fulfilling in any way. Socialization is a tool merely used for the purposes of staving off loneliness. We do not want to be alone so we pick up on pointless, vapid topics of discussion to avoid it. Most conversations we have truly don't mean anything. Me personally? I feel as though one of the most gladdening aspects to understanding my psychology is to truly embrace and understand my loneliness.

I could go on but in short, I will say yes. My frustration due to the feeling of nothing being real, is ever-so present. Sometimes, it feels as though it all has to be fake.

Let Him In

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:58 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
This apparent need to 'explain' life in absurd terms is fascinating to me, because I never felt it. Why do people do this? Why can't everyone just accept what their senses and rational thought tells them about their existence? Is it like existential disassociation? Is it a refusal to accept the simple fact that we're all just animals and this is likely the only life we'll ever get? Or is it a fear of our own mortality?

I feel like some people waste way too much time thinking about "simulations" or "Heaven and Hell" -- why not spend that time thinking about what's actually right in front of you all along: life?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:26 AM
In Liquidation

We are taught to do things the right way and abide by rules and norms when we are at school, because this is usually what guides us to find the right path in the duration and keep us out of trouble. Once you reach adult hood and into the real world, this no longer applies. You then have to learn to be flexible, smart, take shortcuts (even underhanded ones if necessary) to get ahead in life, or just to survive in life in many cases. That's reality. People who can adapt to this sooner have a bigger chances of succeed, while people who don't and still stick their "what they were taught in school and parents as kids" principles will probably be less likely to succeed or as quick to.

The "treat others the way you want to be treated" "always be honest" "always stay true to your word" "always be considerate of others first" "always share". They are nothing more than temporary foundational guiders when you're young.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:29 AM
bipolar

No offence but you've just watched matrix too many times. It's bull****.

I think everyone thinks all this crap when they're young - like there must be something better. There is - you just have to go out and find it for yourself. Plus you start to get used to things as they are as you get older. I did anyway - or maybe I just had more important things to think about.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
This apparent need to 'explain' life in absurd terms is fascinating to me, because I never felt it. Why do people do this? Why can't everyone just accept what their senses and rational thought tells them about their existence? Is it like existential disassociation? Is it a refusal to accept the simple fact that we're all just animals and this is likely the only life we'll ever get? Or is it a fear of our own mortality?

I feel like some people waste way too much time thinking about "simulations" or "Heaven and Hell" -- why not spend that time thinking about what's actually right in front of you all along: life?
Great post. Yeah when I was young we didn't have all this crap about simulations - probably because video games and the internet hadn't been invented yet. Plus Matrix hadn't come out of course.

We all liked to think we were angry young men though - every generation does that. Like nothing can be good enough for us and there must be something better. When I look back to how I was when I was younger it's just embarassing.

And the Heaven and Hell stuff - well, that's a whole other story. Dear oh dear. It's just mind boggling the crap people tell themselves.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Tbh I think people have this feeling because society operates in a very eusocial-machine like way. The desire to 'leave the Matrix' is the desire to leave the alienation that capitalism has thrust on people. And it's a perfectly understandable and rational reaction.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.

🎸

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:33 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymes Rhymes View Post
It certainly does seem that way doesn't it? I made a thread here about 5 years ago detailing how I felt as though we lived in the Matrix. The thread was from a much more figurative point of view rather than a literal, machines are controlling us, POV but the sentiment was very similar to this thread here.

We do what we must to keep the colony running. We provide value in some fashion or are cast out like a leper. In order to keep us in check, the powers that be facilitate so-called production by enamoring our senses with materialistic stimuli designed to get us to work so we can afford these lavish tokens of perceived importance only to realize that we must recoup our loses so we must work harder.

We waste our lives working jobs that we hate so that we can afford to pay for a living space that we are rarely in. Vehicles spend 90% of their lifespans from construction to destruction inert, completely inactive in some driveway or parking space yet we humans have been fooled into believing that going into debt paying 5,6, sometimes 7 figures for an over-sized tin can is somehow virtuous.

As it pertains to interactions with the every day person; most interactions with people just don't quite feel fulfilling in any way. Socialization is a tool merely used for the purposes of staving off loneliness. We do not want to be alone so we pick up on pointless, vapid topics of discussion to avoid it. Most conversations we have truly don't mean anything. Me personally? I feel as though one of the most gladdening aspects to understanding my psychology is to truly embrace and understand my loneliness.

I could go on but in short, I will say yes. My frustration due to the feeling of nothing being real, is ever-so present. Sometimes, it feels as though it all has to be fake.
Yes, exactly.

(I'm one of those lepers that everyone hates because I haven't killed myself lol.)

I don't have to post this image, but I will if it pisses off a specific poster who I recently discovered (on the off chance they stumble on this post):

If you live in the US though, which I don't, Yang kind of gets it:

Quote:

🎸

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Yowie Wowie

In response to the other replies...

Frustration with our circumstances is healthy depending on how we choose to go about traversing it.

As I mentioned before, my Matrix analogy was much more figurative than literal but even if it were literal, why not let each individual navigate it how they see fit, excluding harm to others obviously?

In the Matrix canon, the version we see immediately in the 1999 movie is the 6th version of the Matrix. Various versions were crafted before to be somewhat perfect, no disease, no war, no suffering only to have crops of humans reject the simulations because we humans are defined by our struggles. The Architect then wrote the Oracle program whom would eventually figure out a way to run the Matrix properly. They figured that most people would accept their circumstances wholeheartedly but the remaining few that rejected it could completely destroy the system so they allowed them to leave the Matrix in order to reside in Zion, the last human city in the world.

I'll stop there but see how analogous it is to our real world? The movie sequels sucked but the reason why the first film flourished was because it resembled our every day reality and at least inspired questioning it. At least those whom questioned the system in the Matrix were allowed to leave it. We pretty much have no choice in reality.

However an individual may choose to navigate their lives is most obviously up to them. If one should choose a nihilistic approach, so be it. Telling them to stop being angry won't actually be to their betterment. They have to come out of it themselves, choosing the metaphorical red or blue pill.

Let Him In
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 AM
experimental sincerity

Idk, I like the whole "how real is real" conversation, maybe because when I came across The Matrix, I watched the first movie multiple times per day for a week or so (then tried to run up a wall, repeatedly; multiple ouch). Some people prefer to be grounded in reality, and that's cool, but stepping outside is how art, inventions, and lunacy happens. It's nice to stand outside and watch the thin, semi-opaque curtain between the reality and the beyond blow in the breeze (sidenote: this made me think of 'The Rocking Chair' by Perkins-Gilman, great story). So: yes, this could be a simulation. Why not?

If we are taking the fake-reality as metaphorical to discuss how "the future that you've had mapped out is nothing much to shout about", I agree with that too. Whether you play nice or dirty, it matters way too much where and when you were born. Employment, in most cases, is infinitely undesirable and unrewarding. The American (substitute other nation) Dream sucks. You have to build your island of happiness on a landfill of toxic waste, and that's some challenge. I can't blame or patronise those who fail, because under different circumstances I would do too.

Do seriously consider dumpster diving though, it's not as dirty or humiliating as it might seem from the outset.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

looked for bins to find food in yesterday..this is bad

"I am Chereogo, the horse with no name..."
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chereogo View Post

Do you think we live in a fake reality? Was what you were taught in school a lot of hog wash?
I consider it a plausible theory indeed - but i don't see how you arrived at that theory from the experiences you've recounted. very interesting.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 AM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
Your imagination is limitless.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM
SAS Member

I live in a simulated reality as much as possible. "Real" reality has no place for me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page