Frustrating accident (rant) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
I think someone totaled my car today..I don't know the extent of the damage but rear-ended bad. Im ok, car took the hit, thankfully. And its a used car. I hated car shopping when I needed to. It was snowy outside with low visibility and I notice this pickup truck behind me not driving so well, slipping on the snow into the turn. So in the back of my mind, I'm like "I hope he doesnt hit me. And he does. Actually, he panicked as I was stopped. Swerved around me but ended up catching me with his rear end of a crappy Ford ranger or whatever it was. Tight street, t-intersection, only left turn available.

The inexperienced kid (this was around campus) fled the scene. I tried to chase him down but it was snowy, foggy and coming down heavy. And hard to drive. I got out once I got to where i needed, saw the damage and started swearing up and down like Sam jackson in a Tarantino movie. I feel bad for swearing b/c someone might've heard me. I guess I feel worse for swearing but not as bad for being a hellhound about getting hit. I don't like 2020. It could've been much worse yes.

It would've been nice to exchange info but I dont think people care enough. Sorry, just had to rant about this as it still bothers me. Estimates pending. Maybe I'll get a sweet new car out of the deal. Maybe he'll have a couple restless nights sleep.

If you have any accident stories, please regale us 😭 and please drive safe.

Edit: I guess the real question is..how mad should I be about a kid? On the one hand, he didn't deliberately hit me. On the other, he didn't even stop. And just kept going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 04:56 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
That sounds awful. You should be fuming mad about a hit and run regardless of his age. Age only excuses the driving mistake, not the running from the law and potentially leaving someone with huge bills to pay. In your state his penalty for a non-injury hit and run would be a $1000 fine and up to 90 days in jail and license suspension. I'd have filed a police report, though obviously the odds of catching him aren't great without a plate number. Nobody else stopped to say they got his plate or anything?

My last accident was a hit and run too, but being a deer was an understandable excuse for running away.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Thanks @Paul . I did end up filing a police report right after.. after a fruitless attempt to go after him. I should've stopped and got out, maybe others would help me ID the car better. The weather was such crap though and couldn't see much. Its strange because I usually try to remember plate numbers if i sense anything fishy about the car.. just that the accident makes you not think in many cases.
It did happen outside of a campus building so maybe I'll harass them about potential security footage.. ugh.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 07:36 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Might be worth getting a dash cam that can catch it next time. I see some for $20 on amazon, I should really get one since my insurance doesn't cover situations like that.

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 08:08 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by coeur_brise View Post
Edit: I guess the real question is..how mad should I be about a kid? On the one hand, he didn't deliberately hit me. On the other, he didn't even stop. And just kept going.
You have every right to be mad. When I was about that age, I rear-ended someone and totaled a brand new car but it would have never crossed my mind to flee the scene. I can't imagine anyone being such a jerk. Aside from everything else, you could have been seriously hurt and this idiot didn't care.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Might be worth getting a dash cam that can catch it next time. I see some for $20 on amazon, I should really get one since my insurance doesn't cover situations like that.
Yes, I would so invest in this too.. except its winter and installation in the cold doesn't sound too pleasing. I hear you need a high endurance SD card too for the dash cam because of wear-leveling, according to my friend, so all in all good investment.

Taking the highway next time on a snow day. Not sure what it is with hit and runs in some areas of my town but people can be such jerks. Might be driving a beat up car for now, but at least the engine is untouched and safe. *grumbles* a$ghole*
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:49 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

I like to think of beat up cars as anti-theft insurance and an aid to locating your car in a crowded lot. Kinda miss having a beat up car, I had to put a sticker on my current car just to tell it apart.

The problem I'm finding with dash cam reviews is everybody says you have to reformat the card often because it locks the files on every slight jolt. I'd like to find one that doesn't need constant maintenance, because I doubt I'd bother. And then there's the issue of whether to get one that includes a backup cam, but then that'd make installation much more complicated. Meh.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 05:34 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Sucks. Did you have full coverage on the car?

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Sucks. Did you have full coverage on the car?
I think so.. yes. $500 max deductible for collision. Not what I needed. But don't let that deter you from driving, if it does or anything like that. I haven't gotten into any major car trouble in the 12-13 years of driving.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:23 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Quote:
I think so.. yes. $500 max deductible for collision. Not what I needed. But don't let that deter you from driving, if it does or anything like that. I haven't gotten into any major car trouble in the 12-13 years of driving.
Awesome

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
You have every right to be mad. When I was about that age, I rear-ended someone and totaled a brand new car but it would have never crossed my mind to flee the scene. I can't imagine anyone being such a jerk. Aside from everything else, you could have been seriously hurt and this idiot didn't care.
Good on you for being responsible. Did that make your insurance rate go unbelievably high? Just curious.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:20 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Good on you for being responsible. Did that make your insurance rate go unbelievably high? Just curious.
Well, my parents were paying it so I never saw the bill but the insurance agent reminded me of what I'd done when I tried to buy a new car like a year later.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
I hope you reported the incident to the police as there might have been smart streetlight cameras that caught the license plate of the truck. Glad you're OK.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page