Feeling like life is a joke - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Feeling like life is a joke

I don't know how many of you are familiar with a little video game called The Sims. Basically it's a life simulation game, you get to control the life of one or more video game characters. Usually the point is to make those characters as successful as possible. But sometimes you get bored and start a new game and fool around making a sad, unlucky, poor character and make his/her life a nightmare.

Well this ain't the gaming section so I didn't made this thread to talk about a game. Where I was getting at was that sometimes I feel like I'm just one of those unfortunate character. My life feels like it's controlled by someone who is just fooling around, trolling me, a joke.

Everytime I seem to get somewhere, there's always something that makes sure I get back on my path of misery. I often have the urge to look up and say "Really? Out of all people, why me? Didn't you had enough fun ruining my life?".

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 AM
SAS Member

I know the feeling but you're a;ways in control of your life to some extent. Try to notice things that you have power over, however small.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

I can relate, life is a joke on the poor and ill and it's comedy for the wealthy and healthy.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
Yeah...I've had that same feeling a lot...that I'm always one step forward and two steps back. It feels like everything I get is something I fight too hard for...nothing comes easy...and just when I think i've gotten some traction, something comes along and makes it feel like I'm actually falling behind.

I'm not a religious person, but there is the book of Job which covers this exact thing.

I'm sure Karma is another way of explaining it, though that would mean I was a puppy-strangling ******* in a past life.

I hope there is a more dark energy explanation and it's just a vibration in the universe.

I'm probably more fortunate than a great many people, but it still feels like I'm cursed most of the time.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Worried
Complaining on an online forum isn't going to fix your life dude
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardUglyWeirdo View Post
Complaining on an online forum isn't going to fix your life dude
Not arguing with that, I'm just venting out some frustration in the Frustration section of this forum .

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleInSTL View Post
Yeah...I've had that same feeling a lot...that I'm always one step forward and two steps back. It feels like everything I get is something I fight too hard for...nothing comes easy...and just when I think i've gotten some traction, something comes along and makes it feel like I'm actually falling behind.

I'm not a religious person, but there is the book of Job which covers this exact thing.

I'm sure Karma is another way of explaining it, though that would mean I was a puppy-strangling ******* in a past life.

I hope there is a more dark energy explanation and it's just a vibration in the universe.

I'm probably more fortunate than a great many people, but it still feels like I'm cursed most of the time.
I don't know if it makes you feel better or if it sounds weird but I kind of look up to you, sir.
Despite your mental struggles, you manage to go on with life and you are even saving people's lifes.
I deeply respect you.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleInSTL View Post

You have a lot of will power and hope. I like that about you. I admire those qualities.

But then that makes me question...how in the world have you still not overcome social anxiety at such an age? You'd think that by now with that mindset SA would be long gone by your age and you wouldn't be on this forum, but you're still here. Come on, dude, beat SA for all of us once and for all.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbiter View Post
I don't know if it makes you feel better or if it sounds weird but I kind of look up to you, sir.
Despite your mental struggles, you manage to go on with life and you are even saving people's lifes.
I deeply respect you.
Quote:
You have a lot of will power and hope. I like that about you. I admire those qualities.

But then that makes me question...how in the world have you still not overcome social anxiety at such an age? You'd think that by now with that mindset SA would be long gone by your age and you wouldn't be on this forum, but you're still here. Come on, dude, beat SA for all of us once and for all.
Wow...I'm flattered, really..both of you. I don't want to distract from the OP's important perception of his life. I know I'm more fortunate than many and I'm more functional from an SA perspective than others. I've never believed that SA is curable...I've always believed, like many conditions, that it's effects can be managed. That's just what I do. I watch and listen and learn how to interact. I fake strength and confidence when I have to. I rehearse conversations before they happen. And when it doesn't work out, I ruminate over it for days and replay interactions often delaying sleep. I used to have panic attacks in my 20s, but have gone past those. I realize that I can't control whatever anyone thinks, feels, or does, and that gives me some measure of peace that it's not always about me and what I do. That's my success in a nutshell..and my continued struggle. We all can make it, I truly believe that...despite those that'll insist they're broken beyond repair. Whether it's science or religion, we all still need a little faith to keep us moving forward when no other explanation exists. Take care, brothers.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:

I think you can "only" make SA very tolerable in your life, to an extend where it just doesn't hinder you from going on in life.
As you could read in the middle of Kyle's comment, he still tends to become a bit self concious on occasions but over the course of the years he managed to control it very well.
You could say he beat SA or how I would prefer to say, he made SA his *****. lol
Whenever it comes back, he's always showing it who is the boss.
I hope I didn't get anything wrong.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Self isolating from self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boby89 View Post
Everytime I seem to get somewhere, there's always something that makes sure I get back on my path of misery. I often have the urge to look up and say "Really? Out of all people, why me? Didn't you had enough fun ruining my life?".
I know the feeling and I know it well. I suppose if life is joke then try to find some humor in it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
This urge you have, to look up and say "really" is you believing in God. Whether you consciously believe in him or not, in the back of your head you somehow believe there is someone pulling strings..

But instead of blaming him, pray to him. That's what I do, and it does no harm at all but keeps your soul warm.

I've been seeking happiness for years.
I've lived in hiding from the darkness.
I've spent so many hours in question.
I've prayed that God finds me soon.
Only to realize I must find myself.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findyourself View Post
This urge you have, to look up and say "really" is you believing in God. Whether you consciously believe in him or not, in the back of your head you somehow believe there is someone pulling strings..

But instead of blaming him, pray to him. That's what I do, and it does no harm at all but keeps your soul warm.
Neah, sorry mate I'm a convinced atheist. It's just my mind trying to cope with all those misfortunes, just me being angry at existence itself.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boby89 View Post
Neah, sorry mate I'm a convinced atheist. It's just my mind trying to cope with all those misfortunes, just me being angry at existence itself.
Hmm.. Do you think you will ever find peace in yourself?

I've been seeking happiness for years.
I've lived in hiding from the darkness.
I've spent so many hours in question.
I've prayed that God finds me soon.
Only to realize I must find myself.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findyourself View Post
Hmm.. Do you think you will ever find peace in yourself?
Maybe, but am sure God will have no part in it. I left faith long ago, even if I wanted to go back I couldn't, things are too clear to me regarding religion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page