Feeling depressed after feeling happy ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Feeling depressed after feeling happy ?

Idk if this is where I should post this??? Lul

But anywayss, does anyone else always feel really sad or depressed after being happy? Coz I can never feel happy with out being depressed afterwards ;(
Why does this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 AM
SAS Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Manic Depression. I and countless others suffer from it and judging from your comments above you do as well.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Permanently Manned!

^ yes i often feel down after i realise the happiness was short-lived, but i don't think i suffer from manic depression, just moderate depression

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 AM
SAS Member

It's a Buddhist saying that you can't have happiness without sadness. It's like the yin-yang analogy. Based on that reasoning, the best option would be to remain emotionless. Sorry, just felt like rambling for a bit.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Is being searched for

After nice and happy thoughts that take me high above the clouds, I come back down to earth and feel horrible again. It's hard remaining happy when you're used to accepting nothing but failure, disappointment, and sadness.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
New mum to summer rose

Yes this not uncommon, in fact most of us on this forum would have experienced that at some point and yeah it does suck

Meds can help with the lows. Medication for short term anxiety in the afternoon helps me as i always get anxiety in the afternoon and an unsettling depressed feeling. Mornings are great on effexor but were terrible on nortriptyline

does anyone ever feel guilty when they feel happy or something nice happens in their lives? I do because it feels as though something will go wrong and the good things in my life will be taken away

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Person doodling at work

I guess its just you missing the endorphins released when you were happy. Darn those addicting chemicals in your brain! lol At least that is what I think.

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils, for it prolongs the torments of man" -Friedrich Nietzsche
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
SAS Member

I go through this all the time. It's a non-stop yo-yo. Happy and then sad. Sad and then happy. Sometimes, the sadness is consistent, but the happiness never is. It just comes and goes. Up and down. Ugh.

I don't feel guilty for being happy, though I do have a horrible fear that it will quickly be taken away from me.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Permanently Banned

Wow. I was just googling this issue and it showed me a link to SAS!! 0_0
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBB View Post
Idk if this is where I should post this??? Lul

But anywayss, does anyone else always feel really sad or depressed after being happy? Coz I can never feel happy with out being depressed afterwards ;(
Why does this happen?
I'm less educated in this than alot of people, but I'll give it a shot.
Ok let's say you're smoking a cigarette, smoking some weed, drugs, sex, whatever that brings momentary satisfaction and happyness. When that's not around anymore, your emotional state drops.

Doing small things that gives you a burst of happiness like eating a delicious unhealthy meal, doing a recreational drug, taking meds, drinking, whatever.
When that is gone, you're gonna go back to how you felt previously to taking it, if not worse.

Increasing your overall happiness are things like: physiological, mental, and social well being.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 AM
SAS Member

Yes! It happens to me all the time! Like, a laugh a lot after a joke, but 5 secs later I feel sad, like "why am I laughing, my life sucks".
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 AM
SAS Member

It's because your happiness is based on your enviroment...aka what someone said to you, what car you bought,which girl you hanged out with etc. It's a duality-happiness, aka one that needs an opposite to exist, aka sadness.It's just in most SA sufferers, usually the happy moments are less than the unhappy ones (an strong unhappy ego), while in some people that look happy the happy moments are more frequent (a strong happy ego). In both cases, the ego is strong.

This is opposed to the happiness/joy of just being ( a weak ego), that has no opposite and it is what the whole spiritualism movement is about and what we should all be aiming for in my opinion.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM
SAS Member

Just hit me that I go through that - feeling sad or depressed after being happy.

For me, it's partly thinking (subconsciously sometimes) I dont deserve to feel happy - and partly because I grew up in a family where feeling happy was not exactly a priority if you know what I mean.

One example is when I would express pride or a sense of accomplishment in having done something, I would either get punished or they would throw cold water on my accomplishment by being dismissive.

I try to counter this tendency by pausing after I feel happy about something and taking a deep breath and saying either aloud or to myself something like, that was nice, or, I feel good/happy about [what just happened].

Sort of like something similar to reduce after-meal hunger -- by pausing & focusing on what I just ate and how good it tasted.

Thanks for the revelation, BOBBB!!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM
SAS Member

I feel like this too sometimes.

After I feel a conversation (However short) went well, i'll start to feel like "My SAD can't be too bad when I can have enjoyable talks like that", then i'll start thinking "Why can't I feel like that all the time?", and then the depression mode hits.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Live.Love.Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positivity View Post
After nice and happy thoughts that take me high above the clouds, I come back down to earth and feel horrible again. It's hard remaining happy when you're used to accepting nothing but failure, disappointment, and sadness.
Agreed. Well said. I get moments where I just think "why even try just gonna fail anyways" and all you can do is try and keep your head up, but of course, remaining depressed is easier =/

~ Everything feels like touchdown on a rainy day ~

If you need a Kratom vendor, PM Me
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 AM
SAS Member

Yea its basically depression.... You can have a great day out with friends or whatever, as soon as you settle down at home or w/e you feel like **** and feel sad again.

It sucks but I guess thats life.... Life sucks for people like us, what can I say....

I just want to be happy and have someone love me for who I am and not who I pretend to be.....

Women are out there looking for men that will talk to them and make the first step to a relationship. Its too bad I just cant make that "first step".
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 AM
the last song ♥

sounds like bipolar disorder

In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 AM
SAS Member

solution?

I cant remember if i ever felt happy without feeling awful afterwards. And the better i feel, the worse i feel later. I overthink everything and play every moment back in my head, finding all the mistaked i did. What can i do to stop this? I dont think im depressed, but this is a bit hard to deal with, when i cant think of anything else. What can i do?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Stromae'sCopine

My Mood: Cheeky
Sometimes I feel like who am I to be happy? Why do I deserve to be happy because of the person I am? I also feel like I can't be happy... until the world is happy.

"You have to be taught to be second class; you're not born that way." - Lena Horne
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 PM
FML

Language: Pidgin
I'm pretty sure it's normal to feel somewhat down for a short period of time after doing something fun (something that gives you excessive happiness). like a kind of emotional/neurological homeostasis...

of course, if you have extreme episodes of depression or emotional instability to the point that it repeatedly negatively impacts your day-to-day functioning, then it may be a disorder

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page