extreme social anxiety of being judged as rich - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

extreme social anxiety of being judged as rich

i am 28 and i have always had a lot of social anxiety. I used to lie a lot to fit in. For examplen i used to lie what high school i went to people for fear they will say i am rich. I used to tell people i went to a public school instead of a private school. Also, I never told peope i had a brorher in the usa which is a phd for similar reasons. I feel really guilty about all this now and i am scared if i tell people now they will be mad and tell me why didnt you tell me before...also never told people my parents are business owners

Now i am considering applying to a business graduate program and i am scared of asking my old boss for a reference. My boss will say i am rich. He used to say that about a lot of people. I also feel guilty of telling people what masters program i am planning to go.

I am really tired of being so worried about what people think of me. Please i need help. I am trying a new therapist this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 02:06 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
Why do you think people will judge you for being rich?

Does their opinion matter?

If yes, Why does it matter?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 PM
SAS Member

My parents are now rich in that their home is worth a ton of money, the area i live in has taken off, the property value, so that is a problem. I would never bring up much about the area you live in, and if anyone asks tell them basically nothing other than the general are you live. You can also give them a broader region, like don't mention the neighborhood just the city. I doubt anyone would care about your brother so that is not nearly as big an issue as wealth.

The problem is that most people are struggling and working long hours to get by and eat canned food and not have good medical or dental care or live in run down surroundings, so when they hear someone has this or that they think "royalty" and will get jealous which is complete nonsense.

It is an issue, but all you can do is be responsible in any program or job and say absolutely NOTHING about your living situation. If you are responsible and don't step on people's toes, there is virtually nothing they can say about you.

I wish to hell that I was self-made. I worked extremely hard on my business the last 6-7 years but I still got help from old money. If you are self-made, I think you have a certain glow about you and are humble and who built an empire from nothing... my point is, if you are not fully self-made, you can't REALLY have an identity and confidence in a way that someone who scratched and clawed and built from scratch has. That is why they say, "nothing in life is free" if you are given a big head start, it isn't REALLY a head start because you didn't learn the ropes the correct way. You can't cheat your way to becoming a man or woman and being a success. If you inherit money, you will have gaps in your confidence and self-worth and feel like less of a real person.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 12:15 AM
Packing My Bags

Oh.. this again..

^^^ Gibberish ^^^

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:51 AM
alien monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Oh.. this again..
I thought it must be the same thread come back but I see it is the same thread anew. is it a yearly thing now? I guess most of us also post about the same thing over and over. stuck In limbo.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 AM
Packing My Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
I thought it must be the same thread come back but I see it is the same thread anew. is it a yearly thing now? I guess most of us also post about the same thing over and over. stuck In limbo.
Yeah OP has posted a new thread of nearly the same topic every few months. And mostly he doesn't even respond to replies or follows up. Or even read or try to comprehend any of the replies in the first place. And then a few months later, rinse and repeat.
Though this topic I figure isn't something most can really give any solid or context worthy advice on anyways.

^^^ Gibberish ^^^

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page