Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Extreme fear that my place will be broken into (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/extreme-fear-that-my-place-will-be-broken-into-2227055/)

MostUnwanted 09-13-2019 01:52 AM

Extreme fear that my place will be broken into

I installed a new lock on my bedroom door. I wanted to make it so secured in place and hard to break open, that I think I might’ve done the opposite and torn the wood too much. Actually I'm pretty sure did. There’s kinda a gaping little hole there. So now I’m thinking about new deadbolts and how to repair the wood I messed up. And I’m thinking about locks from below that are similar to basic doorstoppers, but much stronger and more effective. My current camera system sucks in the night. I need to get better night vision cameras. Maybe CCTV cameras that don’t depend on internet connectivity and records directly onto a hard drive. Mixed with IP cameras with good night vision that uploads to a cloud. I want a gun, but I don’t think I’d pass the background check for it. I hate dogs. They’re too high maintenance and stupid and annoying. They maul their own owners to death. I hate them. I would ban or exterminate all pitbulls and other aggressive big dogs if I could. Well now what? I can lock the windows and doors, but ultimately they can be broken down with an axe or hammer. Even if they had the best locks in the world. Take an axe to it, and you can hack it into pieces. Use a sledgehammer for the windows. What will I do? If there’s an intruder and they want to murder me, what can I do other than stab and probably miss? I have pepper spray on my shopping list. That’s better. Pepper spray then knife them. But what if I accidentally pepper sprayed myself in the moment. That’d be so dumb. I need pepper spray training. So this is what’s on the to do list: strong deadbolt locks, strong bottom locks, pepper spray, better security camera system. The camera system should at least help in making an arrest if all else fails.

Denwil24 09-14-2019 01:41 AM

U gotta chill. Sounds like you live in the worst part of Chicago.

Owlbear 09-14-2019 06:17 AM

Second the chill. Ultimately nothing is 100% safe. Do you live in a high crime area? Have break-ins been happening in your area?
As for physical security, are you afraid for when you're home or out? If home just push a dresser in front of the door. And pray a fire doesn't break out. Also the amount of modifications depends on if you rent or own.
Don't buy a weapon for self-defense if you don't see yourself using it. And kitchen knives are plenty sharp. Don't get a dog if it's just for this.
The issue with cctv recording to a HD is that the hard drive can be stolen. Which is why so many are done with a cloud subscription service.

Ultimately, imo, the best defense is living in a good area, having a significant other or roommate (more good humans vs bad humans lol), not being obvious with your wealth, having a camera system, and noticing suspicious characters.

Reverie101 09-15-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denwil24 (Post 1093802675)
U gotta chill. Sounds like you live in the worst part of Chicago.

any place america is dangerous with all the mass shootings going on, however op i understand your fears--i used to be paranoid abt that problem but mellowed out later.

Owlbear 09-15-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverie101 (Post 1093803207)
any place america is dangerous with all the mass shootings going on, however op i understand your fears--i used to be paranoid abt that problem but mellowed out later.

In 2018 373 people died in mass shootings, most of those shootings were gang related. In 2017 over 5,000 people died from choking. You'd be safer chewing your food more and avoiding bad areas of town than fearing mass shootings.

I get the hysteria connected with mass shootings, but it's the normal boring stuff that kills us. Normal boring car wrecks, accidental poisoning, choking, falling, etc. Not mass shootings.

MostUnwanted 09-15-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owlbear (Post 1093803249)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverie101 (Post 1093803207)

In 2018 373 people died in mass shootings, most of those shootings were gang related. In 2017 over 5,000 people died from choking. You'd be safer chewing your food more and avoiding bad areas of town than fearing mass shootings.

I get the hysteria connected with mass shootings, but it's the normal boring stuff that kills us. Normal boring car wrecks, accidental poisoning, choking, falling, etc. Not mass shootings.

Eating and chewing food = something that every living human does multiple times a day.
Shootings = something that only happens because corrupt legislation allowed it and uncaught criminals bypassed background checks or simply sold it to thugs.
Learn how statistics work. Of course more bad things might happen after billions and billions of times. But when you take the ratios into account, obviously shootings/legality of guns are going to be more dangerous.

Owlbear 09-16-2019 06:46 AM

*cough*

It's a leading cause of death, but much more mundane things will get you way before a mass shooting does.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/imag...4-960-1117.png