Embarrassing Blind Date - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Embarrassing Blind Date

Boy do I hate blind dates, especially when itís with a group and everyone can see how awkward I am.

So I went out with a group of friends and one friend invited her friend that she was trying to get me together with. It was a pretty big group of people so it was easy to avoid talking to him one-on-one too much, Iím much better with group conversations. Me, him, and one of my friends sat down and played a board game. When we finished a game, my friend went to the bathroom real quick. I was setting up the board game for another round. I see out of the corner of my eye his friend motioning to him to talk to me or something and he shook his head no and was motioning his hand like he was cutting this throat. It was so embarrassing because literally the entire group was staring at us to see what would happen, so they all saw that he wasnít interested in me. I didnít know what to do, so I just kept looking down at the board game while I set it up and acted like I didnít notice. I just wanted to cry and curl up in a ball right then and there though. I havenít been able to stop thinking about it since it happened yesterday, Iím so embarrassed. My friends havenít said anything about it to me yet, I think they feel sorry for me.

Has anyone actually had a successful blind date experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We start with stars in our eyes
We start believing that we belong
But every sun doesn't rise
And no one tells you where you went wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:22 PM
monk

maybe he was also uncomfortable with the situation of being forced to talk to you independently of whether he liked you or not.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. If anything, the guy that was visibly doing the "no and I'd prefer to slash my throat rather than talk to the woman" motion should be embarrassed. What a rude and crass and immature thing to do, especially in a group where anyone could've seen it. So if he can have as much of a lack of sense and decorum as that, then I'd say he was a bit of a pric* and that you've luckily avoided a cretin.

Congratulations on dodging that bullet and being forced to date a cretin

And I don't quite think it's good that people hook up two single people that the two singles don't know and then they just put them together to see if anything happens. That's putting weird and unexpected pressure on two people that haven't even chosen each other in some sort of weird social experiment, and even worse with an audience of gawpers watching to see the outcome. . It's way more likely that it's going to fail, and be awkward for both concerned.
The only thing missing was them munching on buckets of popcorn

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
The hand gesture could have just been for his friend to shut up. Its sounds like he felt exactly like you did, very uncomfortable.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 PM
with a white shirt

Language: English and some spanish
My Mood: Blah
I like to choose when to talk to people. I don't like someone nudging me, makes it seem forced. He might have felt like that.

Or maybe he wasn't interested and that's okay. You have to learn to accept rejection and not make it so personal. Think of the hottest person on the planet and realize that there are people who aren't attracted to that person.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:47 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1215 View Post
Boy do I hate blind dates, especially when itís with a group and everyone can see how awkward I am.

So I went out with a group of friends and one friend invited her friend that she was trying to get me together with. It was a pretty big group of people so it was easy to avoid talking to him one-on-one too much, Iím much better with group conversations. Me, him, and one of my friends sat down and played a board game. When we finished a game, my friend went to the bathroom real quick. I was setting up the board game for another round. I see out of the corner of my eye his friend motioning to him to talk to me or something and he shook his head no and was motioning his hand like he was cutting this throat. It was so embarrassing because literally the entire group was staring at us to see what would happen, so they all saw that he wasnít interested in me. I didnít know what to do, so I just kept looking down at the board game while I set it up and acted like I didnít notice. I just wanted to cry and curl up in a ball right then and there though. I havenít been able to stop thinking about it since it happened yesterday, Iím so embarrassed. My friends havenít said anything about it to me yet, I think they feel sorry for me.

Has anyone actually had a successful blind date experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry that you had this painful experience. If I were you I'd probably talk to one of your friends about it, not so much to find out if the person in question likes or doesn't like you, but just to vent your emotions.

I haven't had a successful blind date, though I haven't been on many. I've always felt exceptionally awkward and uncomfortable with women to whom I'm very attracted, plus all relationships I've had have failed and usually I suffer emotionally from the loss. I haven't given up on the idea of a lasting relationship, but have always tended to think negatively about it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page