Don't you hate it when people ignore you in PM's? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Don't you hate it when people ignore you in PM's?

I find it rude but then I know I have to be understanding that they probably are too anxious to reply to me or else they think something wrong of me and don't tell me and then I have no say in return. it's just not a nice feeling. I'll get over it. I'm just feeling bored now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:24 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
on here? I don't send them. I don't receive any usually. I have ignored a few. usually, no interest in chatting one on one with ppl here.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:26 AM
Tired

Would ignore most pm's these days. Don't have the energy for them.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 AM
bipolar

Yes that would upset me a bit. Doesn't take much to write a few lines.

(not being rude OP but if someone has you on ignore they might not have gotten the PM - I do that quite a lot. Sometimes just because I'm not feeling well and don't want to see certain posts etc)
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

it's not relatable to me then bc i love social chat/talk. do you have no interest or do you just have anxiety?
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 AM
In Liquidation

I don't even remember the last time I got a PM. Honestly I don't really care for them. Mostly just browse the forum instead. Since the functions here are now a mess anyways.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 AM
horses in the bacc! 🐎

Language: American English, Russian
No, since it's entirely up to them to carry on conversation. Forcing it has its merits with getting to know each other but in general it's tedious and sometimes downright agonizing.

If someone does that I wouldn't choose to prod unless it was a pretty deep discussion about something that ended abruptly. It's increasingly common that people think they replied but actually did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
Sounds like you've got it rough @Zatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
I don't believe you at all about the taste. You are vegan anyway, so how would you know what meat tastes like. I get sick of vegans saying it tastes the same and then you bite into it and it's horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly View Post
noodles. NOODLES
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch View Post
No, since it's entirely up to them to carry on conversation. Forcing it has its merits with getting to know each other but in general it's tedious and sometimes downright agonizing.

If someone does that I wouldn't choose to prod unless it was a pretty deep discussion about something that ended abruptly. It's increasingly common that people think they replied but actually did not.
it's entirely up to them to carry on conversation but can't they at least say they don't feel comfortable and end it that way is the question. but then again, I should be more understanding that it's probably their anxiety that they cannot even say so.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 AM

Language: sarcasm
Not really.

I think the only time I got a little annoyed, someone wanted to do an art trade me and then flaked out after I took them up on their offer. It's not really about them I just got excited and then got disappointed and confused when they never responded. I wasn't sure if I should start on my side of the trade or not. Turns out I was right since it's been years since then.

I rarely send PMs though. Usually I send a VM if I want to start a convo. I rarely have anything to say that requires the privacy or length of a PM.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Nah. I mean I seldom send out PMs tbh, but if they are ever unanswered, I just assume Ive overstepped a boundary.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Nah, life goes on.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:21 AM
experimental sincerity

There was one time when I put considerable effort into a Christmas card (when we did the secret santa exchange here) and never received so much as a 'thanks', so I wasn't even sure it was received. Then again, I received some amazing cards from people that time and didn't have the capacity to give back more than a 'thanks', so I felt a bit bad about that.

I'm fine with delays. I sometimes can take months to respond. Messaging/emails/texts can be a bit demanding sometimes and it's nice to know you can switch off when you need to. I've got some friends from whom I hear every 4 months or so, and that's fine. I always respond in the end, though. When somebody doesn't respond at all, it's a bit sad. I try to understand that people have busy lives and a lot of them prefer face-to-face interactions (why oh why?).

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
I never get any at all so when I do I dont ignore them lol. I don't mind if people ignore because I say some stupid stuff sometimes haha
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:30 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks View Post
I never get any at all so when I do I dont ignore them lol. I don't mind if people ignore because I say some stupid stuff sometimes haha
Okay I'm sending one now so you better not ignore it or I'll get upset.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I very rarely have pm'd anyone first. A few people have ignored my response to them but it didn't really bother me, I've ignored far more people.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
I don't get PM's*sniff*.But yeah that would upset me too.

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
no not at all. But ignored texts especially when i write alot annoys me.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Crappy
I put the purple part in my signature because my anxiety really IS that bad that I can't seem to keep up one-on-one/private communication for long, if at all. Even with my one online friend, whom I've known for over a decade and have actually met in person twice, I take months to reply to her.

Then when the purple part of my sig wasn't enough to keep people from getting offended, I just turned my PMs off completely. I can't deal with the stress.

Now I'm getting the same way with VMs. (Sorry to all the people I never replied to. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
it's not relatable to me then bc i love social chat/talk. do you have no interest or do you just have anxiety?
In my case, mostly it's the anxiety. I used to be really chatty and sociable in person AND online, but I had lots...LOTS...of really bad experiences socializing with others in both environments (ironically, I was most often criticized about how chatty I was)...so I've grown terrified of communicating with people. People criticizing my chattiness was the main reason I developed SA in the first place. When it's one on one, so half the burden of the conversation is on me, it's even worse than posting on a forum where it's kind of "Meh" if somebody replies or not. I learned the hard way that socializing with others hurts. So it's not that the interest isn't there, it's just that I'm too scared/discouraged.

And to be honest, I'm not into smalltalk, which is what most people seem to mean when they say they want to chat. I honestly have nothing to share about what I'm up to or what's going on because I have no life.

I do have particular interests I'd love to chat about at length, but nobody else is into them, so... I'd rather not make somebody's eyes glaze over. So...I don't really have anything to talk about with most people.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, it's understandable that some people might take it personally but I wouldn't. This is a social anxiety forum, after all and there are also some people here who have other issues that might be hard for others to translate. They really might not mean any offense. It's possible to be rude without meaning to (or knowing it is probably more likely around here).

At any rate, if you initiate a PM you pretty much just have to deal with it if the person isn't into it.

/WYSD
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 PM
your dads girlfriend

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
I don't get PM's*sniff*.But yeah that would upset me too.

Well yeah, you’re on a social anxiety forum, it’s hard for us to be social. I frequently ignore people on here because it’s too much energy, but now I kinda want to be a little more social but It’s hard.

always

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page