Does this sound like depression? or could it be natural response - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does this sound like depression? or could it be natural response

Last few years I have began to think about aging process, the inevitability of death and loss. It is at its worst now which is why I have ended up making this thread.
I am constantly thinking about age and time and that now my youth is over, it is only downhill from here (26). A part of me feels guilty because there are people much older who would love to be 26 again. It is arrogant and wasteful to complain about age when I'm 26. But its on my mind 24/7. My present situation is bad, since leaving school aged 16 to now 26, I have barely left the house so I have not matured or experienced much. I see this as my future also, not because it has to be, but because I lack the confidence or the drive to improve it. The thoughts about growing older, physical and mental decline, loss of memory and then death is on my mind the majority of the day now.

I tell myself it is just my depressive and negative worst-case scenario thinking, but then another part tells me its not and its a natural part of being human and we have to face it at some point.

I think things like what is the point of achieving and experiencing things if it will just be deleted once dead? I wont remember it. Yet I know the answer which is that there is no alternative. Either experience and live life, then die and forget it. Don't experience life and hide, then die and forget it. Or just die now and forget it. Its a lose-lose situation every option seems awful, but one of them is slightly less awful than the other which tells me that's the best option to pick.

Its the same circular thinking. Fear death/ aging, tell myself no option, its not avoidable. Thought re-occurs, ruminate, come to conclusion no amount of thinking can change it, accept it. Thought occurs again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:35 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
What alot of people do is make another life.. or several & hope they figure it out, meanwhile keeping them alive gives your own life meaning.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:51 AM
bipolar

Jesus, you're thinking like this at 26?

I think the idea is to have a bit of fun somewhere along the way mate - it's not all doom and gloom.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:56 AM
Greasy prospector

Not everyone's life is "fun" @harrison , I thought that at 16, never mind 26

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:58 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
Heya It could be a quarter-life crisis kind of moment, where you take stock of how far you've come and what's in store ahead. I think the best thing you can do is simply make the most of your situation at this point. And many people see their lives improve way after 26! Travelling the world, paying off your mortgage, raising a family etc - there's still a lot you can look forward to, and you've still got plenty of time on your hands. I get where you're coming from though - for instance, biologically we can start to decline - but that doesn't mean it's an inevitable decline of all aspects of life. You still have your best years ahead of you. Of course, if you only see it going worse in every aspect of life, you might question the point of going on, but human life has been, and always will be, finite. Thus, we should enjoy our time while we are alive, and use our efforts to improve the lives of even one person to make the world a better place

<3
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:10 AM
Greasy prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yeah, I thought it (very briefly) at 17
Yes I get it, I thought that briefly at 17 too when my father coughed his lungs up & drowned in his own blood after years of illness.

- Macbeth
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:17 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Yes I get it, I thought that briefly at 17 too when my father coughed his lungs up & drowned in his own blood after years of illness.
So the rest of your life is going to be determined by one admittedly horrible event? That's your choice, I'd say. Things like that happen to people every day and it doesn't define the rest of their lives.

You were 17 a long time ago. I suggest you get on with your life before too much more is gone.

And I really don't want to talk about it anymore with you. Get a therapist.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I probably have too much time on my hands combined with a bad current situation

If I had a life worth living I probably wouldn't be thinking this way.

But hesitate making a good life knowing it will be gone.

But that it stupid thinking too because the alternative to that is not having a life worth living...

Thank you for the replies. It is good to hear others way of thinking instead of my own all the time
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:36 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
If its not depression then it will surely lead to it so get out of this way of thinking as soon as you can. Try and use your inevitable death to laugh off all the petty and meaningless crap that causes much of the anxiety and depression these days. Live a little before you are 6 underground.

Don't just do something, sit there !

Southampton FC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:39 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
inevitable death .

In fact, it may not be inevitable given your age.

Don't just do something, sit there !

Southampton FC
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:27 AM
🧱

Language: None
The only way to deal with the future without being crushed by the weight of it is to break it up into little pieces. Small plans can do that. Plan something to do next week and then your thoughts of the future can stop there instead of continuing 60 years to your death. When you have no plans, it's natural to think too far.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:16 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I'm sorry if I was a bit hard on you yesterday - I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

The constant and relentless negativity on here sometimes really gets on my nerves. I've had plenty to be uspet about in my life too - we all have. But at some point we have to take responsibility for our own lives and just get on with it. (as best we can anyway)

All the best.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Greasy prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
All the best.
Yes sorry, same to you, I don't come on here with the intention of making people feel worse, I know most have had enough negativity without adding more.

I had a few drinks Friday night & got into a bit of a negative state of mind & started overthinking things from the past I shouldn't have, got way to graphic<a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/hugs.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

- Macbeth
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 03:02 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, Spanish
It sounds like depression to me. I don't fear death. Once it happens it happens. And I think the main goal out of life is to create something for yourself worth being proud of. Everything in life has an end. This mocha frappe I'm drinking will eventually end but at least I got to enjoy it in the meantime lol. But in all seriousness sometimes you gotta force yourself to step out of your bubble, out of your comfort zone and live. Because there are unlimited experiences out there and infinite outcomes based on the choices you make. If you choose to stay home then you know the outcome for that already. I have a very hard time seeing into my future. So I take it day by day. I do have fears... but my fears are based more on responsibilities. If I get injured. If my parents get injured or seriously ill. How will I take care of them. And thats inevitable because old age happens. But I can plan for that and prepare myself in advance. But right now we're okay and I want to savour that.

I hope I didnt ramble too much.

(Also I just turned 27 and it aches to hear you say it's downhill from here &#x1f602; )
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 07:43 PM
Socializing with myself

My present situation is bad, since leaving school aged 16 to now 26, I have barely left the house so I have not matured or experienced much.

You think constantly about things that your missing causing you to develop a fear about upcoming situations that you think you would be in.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page