Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Does the world need more empathy? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/does-the-world-need-more-empathy-2224223/)

Infinitegalaxycat 06-06-2019 06:56 PM

Does the world need more empathy?

Hey guys, so I know I'm not saying anything new or profound but the world can be an f***ed up place sometimes. It makes me sad. I know many of you would say that not all of the world is bad which is a true statement but I'm quite depressed and depressed people have a habit of seeing the worst in people. I am not saying that I should not try to change but I am often pessimistic when it comes to humanity. I dont watch the news that much because of the bias and fear mongering among other things. Watching it especially politically charged things just put me in a bad mood. I used to not feel this way. I saw the good in people when I was a little kid. And the world was fun. Now I'm 19 and all I see is gray......

andy1984 06-06-2019 07:20 PM

I think the world just needs more action based on facts and values. and some kind of ****ing plan of what we want... like if we're gonna **** over the next generations and have a good time let's just do that. but if we care about the future we'd better start to get **** done.

findyourself 06-07-2019 03:08 AM

No, you both are wrong. We donít need a goal in order to change our way of thinking. Human beings will never work together collectively to get anything done. I promise you that. If NASA announced that we only have a year to live unless we take a certain action, I promise that only 40 percent of the population will take action and they will all be left leaning people who want to ďpreserve the planetĒ.

Iím saying that we, as a human race are ****ed. We are built to chase after what feels good to the flesh. We are physical people who only care about what we can feel and touch. The idea of peace, gratitude, honor, dignity and faith are not important to most people. Yes, war will continue to occur. Mass shootings will continue to happen regardless of what happens to our firearms. I promise that they will continue to happen. There is no possible way to stop it from happening unless we are all chained up.

The world is a ****hole. Nothing good happens here because we were made from sin. Weíre an accident called human beings. Let things play out. Donít try and ďfixĒ the world. People are too stupid and ****ed up in the head to think about anyone else other than their own lust. Let that sink in..

harrison 06-07-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findyourself (Post 1093736271)
No, you both are wrong. We don’t need a goal in order to change our way of thinking. Human beings will never work together collectively to get anything done. I promise you that. If NASA announced that we only have a year to live unless we take a certain action, I promise that only 40 percent of the population will take action and they will all be left leaning people who want to “preserve the planet”.

I’m saying that we, as a human race are ****ed. We are built to chase after what feels good to the flesh. We are physical people who only care about what we can feel and touch. The idea of peace, gratitude, honor, dignity and faith are not important to most people. Yes, war will continue to occur. Mass shootings will continue to happen regardless of what happens to our firearms. I promise that they will continue to happen. There is no possible way to stop it from happening unless we are all chained up.

The world is a ****hole. Nothing good happens here because we were made from sin. We’re an accident called human beings. Let things play out. Don’t try and “fix” the world. People are too stupid and ****ed up in the head to think about anyone else other than their own lust. Let that sink in..

You don't think that sounds slightly ironic - considering the fact you have a picture of yourself naked from the waist up as your avatar? Presumably to induce this so-called "lust" in some lucky young lady?

findyourself 06-07-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093736837)
You don't think that sounds slightly ironic - considering the fact you have a picture of yourself naked from the waist up as your avatar? Presumably to induce this so-called "lust" in some lucky young lady?

I have it up because I want to feel confident. Yes, I admit that I do want to induce that in women but Iím human. Itís what we do.. Iím just saying that thereís no fixing things in the world. We have to accept how weíre made, who we are and how puny and weak we all are... we need Jesus. Itís our only way out.

harrison 06-07-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findyourself (Post 1093736879)
I have it up because I want to feel confident. Yes, I admit that I do want to induce that in women but Iím human. Itís what we do.. Iím just saying that thereís no fixing things in the world. We have to accept how weíre made, who we are and how puny and weak we all are... we need Jesus. Itís our only way out.

I was just being a bit cheeky mate - you're a nice-looking young guy and can do what you want.

I don't agree the world is all bad - nor are all people. And I don't believe in God, sorry. (although I do still "pray" when I'm scared enough.) All the best.

Entrensik 06-08-2019 08:05 AM

Yes desperately. The best thing we can do as individuals is to find people who are similar to us like on this forum and therefore realize that we're not alone. I think that's as much empathy as we can get. Now on a global or societal scale until evil people stop running this world I don't think empathy will have much effect. We live in a hypocritical and morally corrupt world the question is, will YOU sell your soul? (So to speak) Or will you continue to stand by your values and your beliefs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093736837)

He's clearly judging the world from his own lustful perspective [emoji1].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rabidfoxes 06-08-2019 08:25 AM

I hear you, I went through a phase when I couldn't handle any news whatsoever. Then I learnt that it's okay to ration the news, and not to read it if I'm already not feeling my best and might just get worked up or upset further.

When you do read/watch the news, you need to read/watch it for bias. Even if you ignore the news that is completely removed from factual reality (Sky News, etc.), you will still be left with biased news, because to be interesting, news has to contain narrative. Narrative is deceptive by its very nature, because a journalist has to add some 'meat' onto the facts and will unconsciously bias them through the sheer choice of words, if nothing else. However, it can be fun to read with the question "what's a fact and what's interpretation?" in mind.

A way to enjoy the news and not to let it skewer your view of the world is to seek out some good news to balance the bad. And not just of the "and finally...panda in the Hong Kong zoo had a baby" variety. There is good news out there. Find it!

And when I feel really down about the way the world is...I go and read the subreddit r/HumansBeingBros

Deaf Mute 06-08-2019 09:08 AM

Probably, but it's not going to happen because of all the imbalances of power. For me, the "good" in people is relative, a "mean" person is mostly seen that way by the people they hurt, whereas to the "mean" person's lover or friends, they're normal. Heaps of guys are total jerks but to their girlfriends they're kind and white knighting or how about that "perfect" school captain that bullies loners but all the teachers think they're the kindest most generous individual in the whole entire state?

Anyone can be good if they want to honestly. Empathy is rare because it's either learned or innate imo. Learning being from having suffered similar hardships or circumstances as others, and innate from being able to imagine having to live with certain problems others face.

WillYouStopDave 06-08-2019 09:37 AM

I think you have to kind of be conservative with your expectations. Especially when dealing with complete strangers. Sometimes there's really no malice intended when someone doesn't seem to empathize with you or whomever you think they should empathize with. Sometimes it's hard to empathize with things that are kind of removed from your personal life experience.

Popular culture tends to kind of inflate people's expectations to unrealistic levels, whereas in the real world (sometimes) people will walk right by someone who is dying without giving them a look.

Elle Knight 06-08-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1093737259)
I think you have to kind of be conservative with your expectations. Especially when dealing with complete strangers. Sometimes there's really no malice intended when someone doesn't seem to empathize with you or whomever you think they should empathize with. Sometimes it's hard to empathize with things that are kind of removed from your personal life experience.

Popular culture tends to kind of inflate people's expectations to unrealistic levels, whereas in the real world (sometimes) people will walk right by someone who is dying without giving them a look.

This is so true. People will look you in the eye and watch you die even if it’s in their hands to save you.

Mlt18 06-17-2019 09:56 PM

I think so. It seems like most people have none. They're just monsters.

Suchness 06-17-2019 11:50 PM

It needs more of me.

twitchy666 06-18-2019 12:13 AM

less people

URGENTLY

KILL EVERYONE

Post_Punk_Proclivity 06-18-2019 12:42 AM

It doesn't need more empathy. What it needs is more realisation of the fact that everything is connected, then a kind of empathy will undoubtedly follow as a by-product of that realisation. What hurts you will hurt me in the end.

andy1984 06-18-2019 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchy666 (Post 1093745251)
less people

URGENTLY

KILL EVERYONE

solid advice