Does anyone fear going outside for a walk in their neighborhood? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does anyone fear going outside for a walk in their neighborhood?

I want to go on a fifteen walk around my neighborhood, but it gets me stressed thinking about it and I stay home. I am worried that neighbors will be outside and I'll have to say "hello" to them or they will be watching and discussing me from their homes when I walk. Or I will make them nervous as I pass by or they will confront me and ask who I am and what I'm doing.

Nardil 75 mg/day (22.5 mg in the morning, 22.5 mg in the afternoon, 30 mg at night)
Seroquel 200 mg/night (100 mg to get to sleep, 100 mg in the middle of the night)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 04:08 PM
drifting in mist

Yes. Still feel better if I go though.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 06:07 AM
SAS Member

No, but I live in a pretty safe neighborhood.

It may be tough for you, but try to muster up the courage to say "hello" and keep walking. It's a fairly quick interaction that only takes one second and I'm sure nobody wants to have a full conversation. Provide brief responses if they ask questions and then be on your way. If your neighbors are watching/discussing you from their homes, to hell with them. Don't let a**holes prevent you from living/enjoying your life. If they are nervous, that's their problem. If they ask you what you are doing, you're just a guy who lives in the area and is enjoying a walk around the neighborhood.

You may have to interact with neighbors, but these interactions are fairly quick and manageable if you can muster up the courage. Again, do not let other people prevent you from living/enjoying your life.

Good luck!

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: None
I fear it anytime near rush hours, and I pretty much stay in on weekends because more people are out then. But I walk around the neighborhood at other times when the chances of encountering anyone are slim.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:43 AM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
Yeah but that's more because of the whole Asian hate thing going on because of the coronavirus scare. It's died down massively though but there's still a few things I hear here and there that make me really self conscious of going out alone.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 10:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
We have a neighbor who likes to sit on his lawn chair outside his garage door, it always anxiety provoking when I go past him because he likes to strike up a conversation or wave as you go by.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 05:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Yes. I don't even go grocery shopping alone. It helps to have someone go with me, though.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 05:59 AM
Permanently Banned

Here in Miami I worry about the heat, stray dogs, distracted drivers, muggers, etc., so I prefer driving to the park to walk
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 06:35 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Not me personally that much. My problem was more when I am in front of a group of people. I never liked walking into a place of business or public place and everyone turns and looks at you for a second when you walk in. Feels like everyone is judgeing you
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
Yeah I donít like it much because I might get annoying or creepy attention. I used to walk around more when I was a kid but once I learned how to drive it became more convenient to just avoid it. Plus my mom once walked to a store and some random dude that was looking to pick up hookers tried talking to her. So yeah.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 12:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Meeee.... I'm currently trying to treat agoraphobic tendencies though. I disassociate a lot, which kinda makes me feel like I'm going to faint, so I avoid everything. Have I ever fainted? No. Has that worry caused panic attacks? Yepp. I also HAAAAATE heat and humidity. It makes me feel like I cant breathe.

<3
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 02:54 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Maybe wear sunglasses, hat and facemask when you go. Start off small distances, walk places with less people, walk at night. Etc. And gradually work your to situations where you will be more exposed to people.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:14 AM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
ive always worried about leaving my house but i did it anyway since childhood but what made it worse was living in the ghetto. The early to mid 90s was different then it is now. There were a lot of thugs and cholos at the time. I dont even remember how to say cholo in english ugh. but i kind of miss the early 90s and early 2000s. Those were my perfect years as everything else seemed much more laid back. Today, I'm always anticipating to make a choice for half the day whether or not I should just go to drive to grocery store. Now walking in my neighborhood I avoid like the plague so instead I walk indoors im lucky enough to have a large house to walk around and achieve my steps. Might not be as stimulating environment as going to the park or neighborhood but Im too concerned about being watched, judged, followed, and what people think.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, I struggle with this. It feels like all eyes are on me.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:59 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't know if "fear" is the right word. I guess I have a sufficient level of anxiety about it that it motivates me to not ever do it.

But I mean it's pretty much not done where I live. If you ever saw anyone outside here for not obvious reasons it would seem very strange.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 09:11 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Yes, I've had trouble with my neighbors across the road. I don't even want to spend time in my yard because they might try to interact with me. Have a repair man coming over today to work on something outside. The husband is nosy so worry he'll not be able to resist coming over.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 10:14 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
it factors into why I avoid going out some days. so yeah I guess that's fear. interactions with people make me uncomfortable usually. someone nodded friendily at me today and I nodded back. ok interaction. ish.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 01:24 AM
zkv
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Maybe wear sunglasses, hat and facemask when you go. Start off small distances, walk places with less people, walk at night. Etc. And gradually work your to situations where you will be more exposed to people.
I do that a lot when walking around the city. Feels a lot safer, even if it's all in my head. Got to remove the hoodie (and ruffle my hair in front of a big glass window) when entering a store or something though, or it'd go something like

Ladies, gentlemen, let's see who wins the prize for for keeping their cool. Simon says: everybody down on the floor. Now, nobody loses their head, and nobody loses their head.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 03:06 AM
SAS Member

Language: French/English
I think it's a matter of timing. Sure, there is no chances of being quiet the whole time out, but picking up the times to leave or going with your gut feeling can sometimes makes the walk easier.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 03:29 AM
experimental sincerity

I used to get this badly enough not to go out much. My partner was extremely outgoing and would get to know the whole street, so that whenever I left the house I had to say 'hi' to everyone. I hated it. When we lived in a Jamaican area, all the (male) neighbours were protective of me, which was very annoying. I'd get some drunk hit on me and someone would immediately show up to sort out the situation as if I couldn't handle it myself.

Nowadays it's much better (the situation has improved, I have improved, etc.) but I still like to wear sunglasses when I go out. They create a barrier between me and the people. And I actually like random interactions with strangers, I just don't want them to happen because 'it's only polite'. I'd rather they were authentic or not at all.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page